Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DYet Another Stargate...

[Deleted User][Deleted User]11 Posts: 4,002Member
edited July 2010 in Work in Progress #1
This is my fifth generation Milkyway Stargate and third generation Pegasus Stargate. Chevrons are finish. I'll start off with the Altereans' cosmetic details then move to the back and finish off that area. Last will be the glyphs.

You've may seen my 4th gen Milkyway Stargate/3nd gen Pegasus Stargate here

I'll going to try to improve on keeping the mesh clean and more accurate to the shows' Stargate and have a better looking gate than the last gen.

stargatemilkywayv510110.jpg

The main body is just the basics right now. I'll "carve details" into it so to speak.
Post edited by Unknown User on
Tagged:

• [Deleted User][Deleted User]2 Posts: 3Member
    uh...I posted this in the wrong thread. Can a mod move it into WIP? sorry I thought I was in WIP section, but I'm not. Thanks
  • GuerrillaGuerrilla795 HelsinkiPosts: 2,867Administrator
    Moving to 3d WIP.
    Comco: i entered it manually in the back end
    Join our fancy Discord Server!
  • homerpalooza67homerpalooza67228 Posts: 1,891Member
    nice start, still a ways to go
    stargatemilkywayv510110.jpg

Not completely done with it (the new ****, obviously I'm not done with the gate itself). I still need to make it bend better to match the main hull and then I'll carve out the indentation for it in the hull.
  • nhallnhall171 Posts: 0Member
    Looking good so far -- I gotta ask -- when are you going to subdivide the ring more to get rid of that crazy segmentation? Other than the segmentation -- your gate is coming along perfectly! :thumb:

Cheers,
    Nick

PS - You stole my thread title, bro. :lol: j/k
    ^
    Now =P
    I subdiv it and made the indentations for the cosmetic ****. 360 of them (without chevron cutout)...crazy ass designers. I would hate to be the one to make those on the actual prop gate that works.

This way a real PAIN! I had to go in and redo the cosmetic ****. It was really annoying. Hopefully this new one came out alot better than the previous one.

101709.jpg
    Mmmm - I dig it! Looks much better now. How did you get the outer-ring details in there? Did you use a template, radial array it, apply the stenciling, and then do your boolean operations for the cutouts around the chevrons?

At any rate, now that you've subdivided it, your gate looks tip-top. I can't wait to see more.
    I use edge loop and rings to make the cut out. I then deleted the faces and use edge extrude to make the indentation. I then go back and remake the faces and move the pattern into the cutout.
    Progressing along with this one.

stargatemilkywayv510210.jpg

Just got bored and rendered this one. The ground Material and effect are horrible on my part, sorry. Yeah, the bottom is suppose to be a reflection.
    stargatemilkywayv510210.jpg
    Dude... awesome. O.O Simply awesome! :thumb:
    the detail on the negraveings and so on on that gate is EXCELLENT! brilliant job keep it coming :)
    It's been about a week or 2 since I had time to work on it. I had exams for end of grading period last week and have a mock exam for english this week so I don't have alot of free time right now.

Anyways, I decided to find easy details to add in and fix a few minor inaccuracies. Things left to do are glyphs, the very inner details, the back replacement for the inner ring and outer blocky details.

110909edited.jpg

For those wondering, the tris count is about 8.2 million with turbosmooth on (1 iteration). yes it's quite high, but it'll give the gate a nice smooth and non-pointed edges (in some areas) when done & it gives a nice weathered effect to it.
    011610j.jpg

Had time to work on it during the winter break. got 15 of the glyphs done. Almost done. Can't w8.
    I'm calling it done. I might go back later on and add some stuff, but for the most part, it's finish.

special thanks to Neuro for Rendering.
    Stargate_V5_by_kid908.jpg
    Stargate_V5_2_by_kid908.jpg
    very nice :D I only did bump maps for the back inner ring. THat is pretty to see it modeled.
    Are you going to use propper greebles for the naquida ring? Or texture like i did? I found having that modeled just added way to many polys...
    That prob might even double the poly count depending on how small they are/how many there would be. I think I'll leave it in the texture.

I would have never modeled the back inner ring if it wasn't for the bend tool in 3ds max. Making it in a perfect line really makes that difference. finish a section, duplicate/copy the design, then bend it 360 degrees into a circle :D
  • AresiusAresius359 Posts: 4,171Member
    sweet details here, very nice.
  • PerfectAgent007PerfectAgent007331 Posts: 0Member
    Hey Shinigami, fantastic work on the modeling. Love how clean it is. I feel like a true ass for coming in this late to point out an error but when I made my fifth generation 'gate I came across the link below for a reference and found out that the pointed boxes just inside those looped etchings weren't that at all. They're more like criss-crossing waves. The same is true on the inner set between the glyph track and the inner-most loop etchings. http://www.sg1archive.com/wallpaper/images/chevron_closeup_1280_1024.jpg

Still, nice work! :thumb:
  • edseds0 Posts: 0Member
    very nice work, about theese box's everyone does them like that on every stargate model i have seen, to me that would increase the poly count considerably
  • PerfectAgent007PerfectAgent007331 Posts: 0Member
    Eds you are quite right, the poly count does go up especially since this is a heavily repeated detail. I just put the reference in because it came as something of a revelation to me and I thought I'd share it with anyone who was making a Stargate just for the sake of having an accuracy option.