Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DOrion Eicha Class IV Commercial Freighter (a noob project)

[Deleted User][Deleted User]11 Posts: 4,002Member
edited June 2010 in Work in Progress #1
Ok... first, I'm a noob at modeling. I'm using 3DS Max 2010 and have pretty much learned what I know from the school of the "Help" menu and Google. Please feel free to offer suggestions and constructive criticism. I feel compelled to post my WIP with this community because of the great skill I've seen here and believe those interested in giving feedback and suggestions can only help in my development.

The model is birthed from a project that is slowly but surely moving from concept to production. A Star Trek independent film that centers on a small ship of bounty hunters/traders/smugglers working from the Orion territories. Think Star Trek meets Firefly. The main character is an Orion female with a small crew of about 3 to 4 others. I came across the Eicha Class IV Commercial Freighter a while back and felt this would be a good ship to develop as a model and work from. Of course in the story it will have a few "special modifications" it isn't solely a freighter much like the Millennium Falcon isn't.
Post edited by Unknown User on
Tagged:

• HellsgateHellsgate0 Posts: 8Member
    Very intriguing. How does she deal with landfall? Powerful transporters? Can her modular containers enter an atmosphere on their own or be guided in/out of atmospheres of planetary commercial-sites via a workbee or shuttlecraft? Is she simply an impulse-only vessel or extremely low warp (without a visible deflector)?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]2 Posts: 3Member
    Hellsgate wrote: »
    Very intriguing. How does she deal with landfall? Powerful transporters? Can her modular containers enter an atmosphere on their own or be guided in/out of atmospheres of planetary commercial-sites via a workbee or shuttlecraft? Is she simply an impulse-only vessel or extremely low warp (without a visible deflector)?

Well, keep in mind I'm still in the concept phase of this particular story line. I'm certain to take some creative license from the source material. In fact as I read up more on the "history" of the design I may retcon a former class III to fit my storyline better. The source material says it cruises at warp 5, can be pushed warp 6 but can squeeze out warp 7 in emergencies. I'll more than likely work within these guidelines. She's certainly warp capable and not impulse only. As far as landing. I hadn't thought much about that since deciding on the Eicha Class. A 747 is 70 meters long and the Eicha Class is 80 meters so I think it's certainly feasible to land. I'd have to figure out how landing gear would work into the design.

Regarding the deflector, the source material states, "An especially nice feature of the Eicha is the trinary transducer shield generator, a highly efficient deflector system usually found only on warships or much larger vessels of the major space-faring powers." This is similar to the explanation of the Constellation Class starships (USS Hathaway, USS Stargazer) which were in production in 2285. These did not have a visible deflector and used a combination of force fields and inertial manipulation in place of a deflector. Current plans are to have the series be either TOS or TWOK time frames (circa 2265-2285).
    Well, I wasn't able to do much modeling work on the main design but I did take the time to import my Poser figure to give a sense of scale. Assuming my math is right the humanoid female (an Orion) is 5 feet 9 inches tall.
  • publiusrpubliusr550 Posts: 1,747Member
    You captured a FASA feel to it.
    Well, here's an update. It may not look like much to some but I started all over again. This model is more complete and I've avoided some of the pitfalls of the first time around. The build itself is not going to be exactly like the orthographic views. Perhaps it's partly my inexperience but I don't think it totally is. Things don't seem to match up and I'm guessing, at least in part, that the orthographic source may have had some errors and or artistic alteration. Oh well, I've read more on the Eicha Class and the Class IV appeared in the 2270s. Perhaps I'll call this a Class III as my story idea would have the ship be older than that.
  • TrekcrossTrekcross171 Posts: 0Member
    I think you find that with a LOT of the FASA ships, that when you try to 3D them, the views just do not work together. Very nice look on this obscure Orion Ship.