Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DAir Superiority Fighter

ulkeshulkesh0 Posts: 0Member
edited June 2010 in Work in Progress #1
Here's an original design I'm working on... (taking a little break on the Starfleet Scout). There are still a few things I need to put on it, but it's been a fun project.
81937.jpg
Post edited by ulkesh on
Tagged:

• [Deleted User][Deleted User]2 Posts: 3Member
    Wow, looks good. Only points I have is where are it's Angle of Attack probes and why does it have 2 back up pitot tubes but no main one? Also the seat in the cockpit should be tiled a bit back, and it should bea a bit closer to the instrument panel so the pilot can actually reach it.
  • Dr LeeDr Lee2 Posts: 0Member
    I like it, though the nose seems a bit long...
  • L2KL2K0 Posts: 0Member
    looks interesting.

but this looks a real pain in the ass to pilot. fighter planes always get their mass center on the ass, to pitch up easily.
    this one looks its pitching down on its own...
  • bbzwbbzwbbzwbbzw1 Posts: 0Member
    I love it! I had a book when I was 15 (24 years ago :( ) called 'Warplanes of Tomorrow' and this looks like it jumped from the pages!
  • ulkeshulkesh0 Posts: 0Member
    I'm still addressing some of the suggestions you guys had and adding a few more elements, but in the meantime here are a couple more shots of the model as it stands. :)
    82078.jpg82079.jpg
  • AlnairAlnair181 Posts: 255Member
    That's an excellent looking design! :thumb:
  • MephMeph331 Posts: 0Member
    Looking good, but the weight distribution issue is indeed a valid one. This plane would have to work very hard to pitch up. Perhaps an experiment with either larger canards or forward-swept canards in in order?

Of course, if the plane is meant as a high-speed interceptor armed with long range, beyond-visual missiles, maneuverability wouldn't be that big of an issue.

Actually, the more I look at it, the more the FSW canards start to look like an interesting option...
  • StonecoldStonecold331 Posts: 0Member
    Yes, weight distribution seems to be main issue. While possible for high speed interceptor (linear flight on collosal speeds) it surely is a problem for the fighter (highly maneuverable combat). Probably, you can balance the long nose with sort of sensor boom in the rear part of the plane?
  • star_creationsstar_creations0 Posts: 0Member
    it is a very interesting design i must say, but i do agree with Stonecold idea....But other then that great design....very cool
  • star_creationsstar_creations0 Posts: 0Member
    I love to know the type of texturing you used for the canopy glass...
    Actually it's all surface editing. Played with transparency, reflection etc. One trick a friend taught me was to copy the glass poly's, paste into another layer, either reduce, or just offset it down a bit, ( so it looks like there's some thickness to the glass), then reverse the polys and paste them back into the same layer. That way you get reflection on the inside of the glass too.
  • MephMeph331 Posts: 0Member
    Cool glass trick indeed!
  • publiusrpubliusr550 Posts: 1,746Member
    The rear wing itself is a work of art that you might want to add to other designs.
    Thanks... It's destined for some major re-working. It was an exercise in compound curves, to get my feet wet in modelling. But yes, that wing is going to be applied on another craft, or version of this one. ;)