Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DPearse's BSG models

123457»

• PearsePearse0 Posts: 0Member
    Thanks. :) Funny this thread should get bumped this week, I've actually been doing some more BSG stuff.

Started work on a Viper pilot's helmet. It's quite bumpy and uneven so far... I've never really got the hang of hypernurbs. :)

helmet3.jpg

Also had a go at retexturing Coxxon's raptor model, making the paintjob seen in The Plan. There were a couple of shots showing raptors with a kind of search and rescue livery which looked pretty cool. Hopefully we'll see more of those in Caprica.

raptors.jpg
  • somacruz145somacruz1450 Posts: 0Member
    Those look really awesome Pearse :thumb: The helmet looks almost perfect to me and the retextured Raptors are cool; the red one seems to be exactly the same as it is in the movie. I thought that "the Plan" would be a bit washed-out BSG but I was really nicely surprised, especially with the amount of details that went into creating the new stuff.
    Looking forward to seeing more pics ! :D
    I meant to come back to this thread ages ago to post some updates, but time ran away. Thanks for the encouragement, somacruz. :) Yeah, I wasn't sure what to expect from The Plan, especially after hearing it would have old footage included, but I suppose that's partly what gave them the extra resources to show the destruction in such detail. That was a real treat!

Anyway, my pilot's helmet is nearly done now. I struggled with a couple of areas for a while, but now the only thing really left to do is sort out the inside. The dude in these renders is Otto, who comes supplied with C4D. His interests include movies, cooking and standing around in dark rooms wearing nothing but a space helmet. ;)

helmet15.jpg
    helmet16.jpg
    helmet17.jpg
    helmet18.jpg

In this last shot you can see the cushion thingies that keep the helmet secured on the pilot's head. I've seen them in photos of the real props, but can't remember how they look in the show. My version doesn't seem right. I'm also a bit confused about how an airtight seal is created around the neck area (maybe they just fudge that detail in the show?).

helmet19.jpg
  • AndyMAndyM331 Posts: 0Member
    Nice work on the helmet ..
  • MephMeph331 Posts: 0Member
    Those are some nice texture you got here, mate. Both the ships as the characters, great job.
    Thanks a lot, Andy and Meph. Yeah, I'm especially pleased with how the texture on the tubes came out. Simple, but effective. :)
  • Nice. I'm assuming the helmet locked into the rest of the suit to be airtight.
  • L2KL2K0 Posts: 0Member
    but can't remember how they look in the show. My version doesn't seem right.
    ----

that's because they dont have any. the helmets are sooo loose they dont seem to have any cushion things. (maybe to save some money in the production?)
    and on girls it's even worse. they can turn the head wthout moving the helmet.

back to your helmet:
    the round shapes on the outside are meant to be over the ears.
    looks a bit large. scale it down a bit (or scale up your head :p )85-90% should be good
    the glass part should go forwards a bit more, and be more "pointy"

i think thats all that bother me

for the airthight seal, pilots put a kind of metal and latex collar on top of their flightsuit that clips later into the helmet
  • biotechbiotech171 Posts: 0Member
    Great helmet John.
    Thanks, Gulcrapek (always nice to see you here) and Rich. :)
    L2K wrote: »
    but can't remember how they look in the show. My version doesn't seem right.
    ----
    the round shapes on the outside are meant to be over the ears.
    looks a bit large. scale it down a bit (or scale up your head :p )85-90% should be good
    the glass part should go forwards a bit more, and be more "pointy"

i think thats all that bother me

Thanks for your observations. Yeah, you're right about it being too big. I've been meaning to scale it down a little. I thought at first it needed to be pointier at the front as well, but after comparing photos of the two versions of the prop, it seems only the miniseries version was really pointy. This version is a lot more rounded at the front, more or less like I have it.

Another thing I'm not sure about is the internal lighting. To be honest, I don't really understand why there is any (aside from the obvious real life answer of wanting to see the actor's faces). Those pilots shouldn't be able to see a thing with all that light in their peripheral vision. :) Anyway, I'll model some light fittings despite that.
    Haven't worked on any of this for quite a while now, but the other day I tried out an engine flare tutorial and ended up making a quick animation with my (still) unfinished Mk VII Viper. I think it turned out pretty well, but see what you think: http://www.vimeo.com/11901695 :)

The pilot model needs a LOT of work, but luckily you can't tell from this distance.

Not sure where to go with the animation, but I'll try incorporating some BSG style camera work from now on. Maybe do a shot of the viper using its maneuvering thrusters, or shooting at something or landing?
    81549.jpg81550.jpg81551.jpg81552.jpg
  • MelakMelak332 Posts: 0Member
    To be honest, I can't even tell from your close up shot, the helmet looks brilliant!

Nice flares!
    Thanks. :D Well the helmet is quite high detail, but the suit itself just has procedural textures at the moment, so it's a bit of a mess. :)

Btw, this is the tutorial (for C4D) if anyone's interested: http://ere4s3r.deviantart.com/art/Engine-Flare-Glow-Tutorial-160094400
  • tobiantobian226 Posts: 1,600Member
    The model is looking pretty awesome actually! It still looks a little flat, Space lighting can render that effect on most things :) The consoles look superb as ever though!
    interior is pretty cool.
    maybe a mac look (brushed aluminium style) on the consoles could bring a little more life to them.

a little DOF would be cool too (cause you have a fore ground and a back ground)
  • FlankerFlanker0 Posts: 0Member
    Like the interior design as well also nice effect for the engine wash and lighting effects
    Ooh, yes, I'll have to try using some DoF in future anims. Thanks for the suggestions. :)

I was a bit bored the other day and slapped some St. George's flags onto my Vipers in honour of the World Cup. A football/BSG crossover makes no sense whatsoever, but there you go. Just a bit of fun. :D

77468857850205419439.png

42441308859309636266.png
  • aylaa12aylaa120 Posts: 0Member
    nice very nice gooooooooooo england the pics and the colors are wonderful great work pally
    nice colorsheme :)

do another one with cool colored smoke trails :D
  • JamesAprilJamesApril0 Posts: 0Member
    Any chance you'll be releasing any of this to the public? Outstanding job done.
    Thanks a lot. I might release my hangar bay and launch tube models, since as far as I know there aren't any very accurate versions available online. Not sure about some of the others.

@ aylaa and L2K: Glad you guys liked it... yeah, might just try out some coloured smoke or other countries. :)
  • markmasseymarkmassey512 StaffordshirePosts: 586Member
    Nice to see some more of your stuff Pearse.... I always sound perverted when i post things... i dont kow why...
    You always sound so self conscious. :D There's nothing the least bit dirty sounding about admiring someone else's launch tube, or their viper helmet.
  • cobywancobywan171 Posts: 0Member
    I was afraid to ask for the Hangar bay. (Being bad form and all.) I'd be so happy if you did release that and the tube.
  • ChiletrekChiletrek0 Posts: 0Member
    Hello:
    I was taking a quick look at your topic, and I've been sure missing quite some things :o . Maybe I need to learn how to properly recolour Coxxon's ships so I can have chilean Vipers too :p .
    Thank you for the link in that tutorial, that one may come in handy for many people. But I have a little question: Is it possible if you can release the recoloured versions of the Colonial Raptor from The Plan? Those would be awesome to have.
    Keep it up!
    Recolouring Coxxon's raptors wasn't too difficult, I just opened up the textures in photoshop and tried to match the colouration seen in the episode. I reckon the red one is pretty accurate, but I'm not sure about the blue one at all. :) I'd be quite happy to make them available, but I'll ask Coxxon's permission first, as I wasn't sure I should even post the renders on here originally since it was mostly his work.

I'll dig out my launch tube model pretty soon and add it to the downloads section.
  • todaytoday0 Posts: 37Member
    Pearse wrote: »
    Thanks a lot. I might release my hangar bay and launch tube models, since as far as I know there aren't any very accurate versions available online. Not sure about some of the others.

To my knowledge my launch tube might be the only publicly available one, and it's not especially good.. was one of the first models I ever shared, and aside from being approximately the right shape..doesn't have much going for it:lol: