Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DIntermodel Cargo System

sorceress21sorceress21269 Posts: 577Member
edited June 2010 in Work in Progress #1
Well I've gone and done it again. I've started another project without finishing any of the 10 others I already have going. I don't seem to do much 3D work in the the warm months so updates on this may not be very fluid.

But what I have so far is an Intermodel cargo container. It's a universal container that is hauled by:

Heavy container ships
Intra-system barges
Expediter tugs
Container shuttles
Air trucks
Surface trucks and trains

as well as it being loaded into the bulk holds of heavy cargo ships/freighters.

I'm pleased with the textures as they are not tweaked to be viewed this close typically. But close up they still look pretty good. Viewed farther away on a barge or container ship I think they will look pretty cool. I have few different types with different shipping company liveries planned to give the "container ship" look and feel.
Post edited by sorceress21 on
Tagged:

• Mikey-BMikey-B0 Posts: 0Member
    It's like a fourty-foot equivalent unit for space. Neat!
  • sorceress21sorceress21269 Posts: 577Member
    The one shown is a 24 meter container which is the standard size. They come in 12, 22, 24 meter lengths.

The types are:

D: Dry bulk - most common type. Pressurized/unpressurized container for the transport of retail goods and small volume raw materials

D/E: Dry bulk environmentally controlled - Pressurized, climate/atmospherically controlled. Used to transport temperature and pressure sensitive cargo such as food items and hazardous materials. Can maintain temps from -40 c to 30 c for up to 3 solar years without a power cell recharge.

D/G: Same as D but with gravity plating on the load deck.

D/EG: Same as D/E but with gravity plating.

T/D: Dry Bulk Tanker - Used for bulk dry materials such as grain, flour and bulk dry chemicals such as dry polymer and lye.

T/L: Wet Bulk Tanker - Used to transport bulk fluid items from fuels to foodgrade goods.

It works nearly like the real-world intermodel system functions. Containers are loaded at a mfg. plant or warehouse then ground trucked, sky trucked or railed to a cargo terminal where it is then loaded onto a container shuttle. The shuttle takes it to an orbital platform where it can then be loaded onto a bulk container ship for long range cargo hub to hub service, or an intrasystem barge which can take up to 48 containers to the various planets or colonies in the same star system, or individually coupled to an expediter tug for direct delivery either intra or short range inter system delivery.
  • alleyviperalleyviper0 Posts: 0Member
    I am a great admirer of your work Sorceress. You really show me what sketchup can do. This is very timely as I've been working on a similar project devising space containers. I have hit a bit of a snag and have been doing more research now then modeling. The container I have decided to go with is like the one used in Space above and beyond for the ISSCV. I got photoshop and paintshop and made some good texture images for my paneling and rivets and the like. Only thing is, on the curved surfaces, SU's "projected texture" tool is not doing the trick. I even tried painting the image on every individual surface of the curved parts and then positioning the individual images so they appear seamless. As my models get more complex, this method just will not do. I know pro modelers can turn there 3d models into 2d maps that they can paint and then wrap the image around the model. Do you have a way of doing this? Help would be awesome since I have resorted to creating a rivet component in SU and pasting them all over the place. It looks pretty cool, but my hand and wrist are stuck in the mouse clicking position.
    Also, I've been using a trial version of twilight renderer. Just starting to try and learn kerkythea, watching tutorials and the like. I know you make some great pics with it so tips would be great.
    I'll post a pic of my in progress container in my wip "designing space", it will be the one with true 3d rivets, no textures.
    Thanks for the kind words...There are some Ruby Scripts and plugins available for UV Mapping in Sketchup But currently such things are beyond my skill level so I have no idea where to send you. I downloaded one and realized immediately the learning curve for UV Mapping is far more than learning the basics of SU. But I feel your frustration with curved surfaces. I've got a couple of WIPS with few flat surfaces on them and texturing them without knowing how to utilize UV mapping will be a tedious chore.

One thing I do is all in the texture selection: I try and find textures where when you apply them to a curved surface, the poly misalignment works to enhance the randomness of the texture vs. making it look sloppy. I also just try to avoid overly curved models too.

The other issue too is molded detail vs. texture detail. Sometimes all that "mouse wrist" will pay of insofar as how well your model looks. Certain kinds of details in my opinion can never be replaced with textures. I.e., a modeled rivet will cast a shadow, a texture rivet will not. Bump mapping only gets you so far. It all depends on how close of a view one will see your model. Textures only hold up to a certain point when presenting a zoomed view. Of course I imagine you know all this already. Textures are certainly easier to use. But insofar as detail goes. I have rarely used texture in my model to create physical detail. I use textures for weathering only really.

As far as Kerk goes, the learning curve there is much steeper than SU as well. It took me lot's of trial and error, help from Ozylot and actually just guesswork. I play around with the settings until I get a result I like. I also realized that Post-work is pretty important so you need a good image editing software to create things like fog, engine exhaust, lens flare etc..I use Corel Photopaint 9, and have just started playing with Gimp. Most prefer Photoshop but I have never used it.
  • ElowanElowan0 Posts: 0Member
    Great start. :thumb:
  • Fre'dniFre'dni0 Posts: 0Member
    sorceress, if you try to model the spacecraft that transport them, make their lengths multiples. I made that mistake in designing a bulk carrier. as for multiples, 12 meters,24 meters,48 meters. I know this is all just fantasy, but the bulk transport ships would have attachment, ports, clamps for the certain sized containers. So instread of transporting 2 10 meter containers, it would have the attachment things for 1 20 meter one.
    Why would it have just that? Container rails and barge dollys are all adjustable. A row of 22's, followed by a row of 24's and so on in endless combinations. Captains asses load placement by weight & balance just like in the real world. The big real world container ships do this same thing. The container rails are not static. They slide to accommodate various sized containers.
  • Fre'dniFre'dni0 Posts: 0Member
    They travel at quite lower speeds, than a starship, or what not. i guess it would have to do with structural engineering, for FTL craft. I was describing the setup for interplanetary craft, my old design has 3 sizes, 100, 200, and 300 meter lengths. You would have to see it, to understand.
  • J.WildeJ.Wilde0 Posts: 0Member
    It's lovely work, but I don't think a hexagonal shape is very useful for optimizing cargo space within the container. I ran into this problem with my Sojourner free trader's bulk cargo pods when I tried to model something that was more visually interesting first and found that I couldn't put nearly as many shipping containers within its volume as I could with something less interesting (read: boringly rectangular).
    This system uses sub-containers. Cargo carrier inserts such as a cargo carrier designed to go into the belly of a jumbo jet. The hexagonal shape allows non-sub contained large items that are oddly shaped. The hexagon, is the standardized packing shape in my universe. Cubed boxes and containers are virtually unheard of. So small hexes go into bigger hexes quite well. You have to consider everything to the last detail. One cannot expect cubed shape boxes to fit neatly into hexes now can they...The hex is favored over the cube for strength. The cargo itself creating a honeycomb internal structure. I thought about this carefully as I hashed out my design plans for this system.