Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3Dmanwiththegun's WIP thread

manwiththegunmanwiththegun171 Posts: 0Member
edited May 2010 in Work in Progress #1
So I found some time again in my busy schedule to throw together some models for my story. This time around I've been playing around with Kerkythea and lighting effects. While I['m still learning, I'm starting to get the hang of it.

Let me know what you think. And if anyone has tips for lighting with Sketchup and Kerkythea..... I'm all ears.
Post edited by manwiththegun on
Tagged:

• originalgaijinoriginalgaijin0 Posts: 0Member
    very cool were in the BSG timeline are you putting this?
  • manwiththegunmanwiththegun171 Posts: 0Member
    This isn't for BSG. This is for my own story I'm writing along side my models. Unfortunately, I have more time to write elsewhere than I do to sit on my PC and model. :mad:
  • originalgaijinoriginalgaijin0 Posts: 0Member
    oh oops my bad. My apologies sir
    No biggie. I'm just glad you like it.
    Here's a closer look at the station. I've spent a great deal of time playing around with lighting and I think I'm getting the hang of it. I know I need to turn the intensity down in the lights so they dont light on the solar panels or should I leave it?
  • MelakMelak332 Posts: 0Member
    I like the lighting, and I have no issue with the solar panels looking lit up like that. Unless you are talking about the white spots, which does look a bit odd:confused:

Maybe the app you are using allows you to make the light fade out after a set distance? Or at least turn on inverse square decay?
    Yup, the white spots are the issue. If I set the brightness down, the windows don't light up; I can't find a happy medium. As far as inverse square decay I would love to know what that is as I saw it was an option in Kerkythea. If you could explain inverse square decay as I have about 5 hours of experience with rendering ANYTHING and have no formal training... I would appreciate it.
  • MelakMelak332 Posts: 0Member
    The inverse-square law says that, as you double your distance from a light source, the intensity drops to 1/4.
    Left: no decay, Right: inverse square decay
    fd9dg4.jpg

Another option would be attenuation, I don't know if kerkythia offers it but in max I can tell a light to fade out over a set distance.

Or you could try and see if you can make the light ignore the solar panels, or the other way around.
    AHA!!! Thank you. Manipulating the attenuation has solved my bleeding light problem. I'll post updated pics soon. Now if only I knew how to move the sun in Kerkythea....
    So I fixed most of the attenuation issues. I was getting board with ligthting so I made some changes to the overal design of the station. Later in my story engineers attach two construction pods for FTL ship testing so I needed to beef up the overall support structure.