Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DImperial Prussian assault frigate

1789101113»

• BerkutBerkut1 Posts: 0Member
    those are some awesome shots, do those ciws ever run out of ammo? lol
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]2 Posts: 3Member
    Wow I haven't been to this sight in a long time because I wiped my PC and couldn't remember the site. This was the first ship I looked for because I was hoping it didn't get necro'd. Love how it ended up. Question though. Are you gonna show us other ships of the line? I would love to see what you call a Battleship. Maybe a planet defender type ship. Man I wish I had time to learn these apps. I'm already learning like ten different apps right now. No room in the mental cue.........
  • AlnairAlnair181 Posts: 255Member
    In fact a battleship of one of the rivalling greater nations is in its early design stages. But first I have to build a few background objects for the scenes I have in mind... ;)
    Update...
    a smaller asteroid used for a Prussian refuelling station. The station has to be build yet... ;) BTW, the asteroid is about two miles long. No textures and only basic lighting.
    81031.jpg81032.jpg81033.jpg
  • cavebearcavebear179 Posts: 623Member
    Looks very much like some of the photos taken during real word missions that were able to do flybys of real rocks. Actually even the colour looks just about like most of the pics I've seen of real asteroids. I'm looking forward to seeing the the station. :thumb:
    Today I built a quick first mockup of the refuelling station. My primary objective was to get an impression of the different objects' scale. Currently I'm collecting ideas and source material for the station's final look.
    81087.jpg
  • AardwolfAardwolf171 Posts: 82Member
    First post after having been following this thread for a while without saying anything!

It's an awfully simple-looking station... But maybe that was the point. Is there (hypothetically) more to the station, storage or other parts of the structure that are dug into the rock? Also, what benefit is there in attaching a refueling station to an asteroid?
    Aardwolf wrote: »
    First post after having been following this thread for a while without saying anything!

It's an awfully simple-looking station... But maybe that was the point. Is there (hypothetically) more to the station, storage or other parts of the structure that are dug into the rock? Also, what benefit is there in attaching a refueling station to an asteroid?

The station is only a crude mockup a placeholder for the real model that still has to be build. ;)
    Depending on the chemical elements that can be found on an asteroid you can get reaction mass by mining water and methane ice. Resuplying a ship with oxygen is also an option if the asteroid contains oxides.
  • I.g.(.I.g.(.0 Posts: 0Member
    Yep, that's obvious, it's "only" a crude placeholder, but anyway its design looks really cool.
    Also I've always tought that a refueling station on an asteroid is a really good idea: it's hided, protected, tactical and very nice to eyes :D.

The idea of a long "tube" coming out instead of an underground complex makes the docking operations easiers and less dangerous. Very well tought, as the ship.

Personally I love the idea of "early" war ships and I made many sketches but with my poor scientifics skills I've never tought something at this level.

In my opinion this is one of the most interesting and cool WIP going on. I'm waiting to see more.

P.S. : I'm trying to refit one of my ships to your design cuz it's not too different and I think it could be well adapted. I'll show it to you when it will be finished [just some scraps, nothing important but you inspired me a lot].
  • Ronson2kRonson2k0 Posts: 0Member
    A roid gas station.. A few thoughts if I may. Accessible & Defensible?

Asteroid.
    The roid would need to be in a stable location for it's use. So if your thinking of the asteroid belt or something along those lines it could be good. But a ship of that size may have a time navigating such a transient location. You would need to get there to build the refueling station and perhaps man such a station. If not it could fall into enemy hands or be destroyed so it needs to be protected (protectable).

Some alternatives.

Comet.
    This could provide a fuel (water) source for your ship. As it passes through a system it collects then looses it's surface material. If in your universe the comets composition is known it could provide a good place to get fuel. It's stable trajectory is also a great way to find it when needed.

Small Moon.
    Looking much like an asteroid perhaps (as many of them are). A small moon could provide a safe and predicable location for a station. It's stable orbit would make for transits to other locations or even the planet surface for those working at the station. This then would become a working natural satellite. There are many around the large gas giants of our system. Juptier 64, Saturn 62. Not to say your story is within the 'known' sol system but your story could have a gas giant or two lying about with plenty of moons at your disposal??

Awesome looking ship. Your detailing is pretty spectacular. I'm sure your fueling center will be quite cool too.
  • KhayKhay0 Posts: 0Member
    From a human point of view asteroid locations is quite stable and predictable, and the space between them is considerable. A ship would have no problem navigating trough it and finding a precise roid into a belt. We had plenty of probes which navigated through the main asteroid belt of the solar system to go to Jupiter of the other exterior planets, or even studying a precise asteroid in the belt.
    Ronson2k wrote: »
    There are many around the large gas giants of our system. Juptier 64, Saturn 62. Not to say your story is within the 'known' sol system but your story could have a gas giant or two lying about with plenty of moons at your disposal??

It's a binary star system with at least three gas giants...
    BTW, update is in the making.
    Khay is correct our belt although quite vast is also quite sparse. Moving through it isn't as difficult as it could be in other belts. Unlike the scene in SW The Empire Strikes Back our belt is for the most part pretty empty. You would be very hard pressed to detect another roid in the belt while docked/orbiting one. Now the asteroid belt does have debris and other sub structures in it that have been brought about by the same event that caused the belt to form in the first place so for a probe passing though it's not without concern. JPL crossed there fingers on that where the probes had been sent through. A large capital ship could absorb or deflect such material I'm sure though.

For more info on roids and indeed what you are attempting to build I would suggest the book Mining The Sky - John S. Lewis It's a bit dated now but still will give you info that you could find pretty useful.

I have a PM on it's way to you about a story I've been working on. While not a story of military conflict shares a few similarities with yours.
  • ST-OneST-One188 Posts: 293Member
    Alnair wrote: »
    BTW, update is in the making.

That's good to hear. :)
    Updates!

Currently I'm preparing some props for renderings with the Thetis. For EVA scenes I'm building a little maintenance drone. The pictures are only quick test renderings so quality is quite low. ;)
    82399.jpg82400.jpg82401.jpg
    Awesome work just the same.
  • srspicersrspicer390 Posts: 335Member
    Yup, been digging through some old threads!
    Love this design, still holds up.
  • AlAl171 Posts: 6Member
    I love this design. I am a teacher that teaches science through a starship simulator. I have to create visuals to tell the story on my main viewscreen, and this model is perfect for my bad guys. My simulator is also very physics based (congrats on sticking to that) and we use rings on our ship to explain our FTL concept (also physics based), so this is truly perfect. I'm wondering if you would be willing to donate the mesh to a school? I know that it's 13 years old.... We use blender and 3DS max.
  • GuerrillaGuerrilla789 HelsinkiPosts: 2,865Administrator
    Hi @Al 2 things:

1) Please check the dates before bumping threads. This thread hasn't seen any work in 12 years, so the odds that this project is still around and being worked on are pretty slim. Bumping old threads pushes stuff currently being worked on off the front page, and is really disappointing for people actually hoping to see updates. I know I was. This is one of my favorite projects here.
    2) Please don't ask for people's models in their threads. We want artists to be able to work on and post their projects here in peace without worrying about people wanting to get their hands on their work. Some people release their stuff, some people don't, but it's always up to the artist.
    You can make requests in the Looking for... forum. People with the little green Commissions open icon on their profiles are also open to being contacted about commissioning work.

You can read the Community Guidelines here.
    Comco: i entered it manually in the back end
    Join our fancy Discord Server!