Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DLEGO UCS X-Wing

• stonkystonky350 Posts: 489Member
    Looking good, can't wait to see more!
  • TerranCmdrTerranCmdr0 Posts: 0Member
    More progress today! The back section is coming together nicely... and hiding all that work I just did on the funky Technic pieces. :(

xwing8.jpg

xwing7.jpg

xwing6.jpg
  • PeterDrakePeterDrake0 Posts: 0Member
    Nice work so far, but as a LEGO fan I must ask...are you going to put the word "LEGO" on each stud? And no, I'm not just trying to kill your computer.
    I might towards the end of the project. I'm definitely not going to model the words LEGO on, I'll most likely just do a bump map.
  • Dr. JonesDr. Jones0 Posts: 0Member
    TerranCmdr wrote: »
    I'm definitely not going to model the words LEGO on, I'll most likely just do a bump map.
    I hope you already set the UV coordinates on the generic pieces!

Are you going to rig all that mecanism?
    I didn't do the UVs yet. I was planning to just use a multi-sub object material and assign the studs to a material number. I do want to rig up the mechanism, but I don't have any idea how to do IK, so I have to figure that out as well. Right now though, I'm just working on getting the whole thing together. I think I'm going to run into trouble as well, because the way the model is built, the mechanism that holds the wings is designed in a way that the weight of the wings will draw it down and put it into the right position. So I might have to redo the positions of the gears before I attach the wings. Anyway, I have the day off today so expect some more updates. Thanks for the replies guys. :thumb:
  • Breech BlockBreech Block0 Posts: 0Member
    Well, I must admit, that whilst browsing through the thread list for items of interest, whenever I have come across a thread title that advertises a model of a lego toy, I have always just skipped on past muttering wtf is all that about. However, having decided to take the plunge and investigate further, your thread makes it abundantly apparent. The model is absolutely terrific with a level of detailing I simply did not expect. I can hardly imagine the complicated challenges this type of modelling must present. So many congrats on the work to date, you've made me an instant fan. Can't wait to see more.
    Thank you very much Breech, I really appreciate your kind words! I have figured out the rigging on the mechanics, and I made a short animation to show them in action. The big gear in the back doesn't move because I haven't gotten to that part in the instructions yet. ;)

Edit: One more update before the day is through. Three more steps to go and I'll be done with the back end. I also finished the rigging, so the big cylinder in the back now controls the movement of the wing posts.

xwing9.jpg

And I just couldn't resist, here's a sneak peek of the whole thing.

xwing10.jpg

Some random facts... In the above shot:

-603 separate objects
    -444,496 faces
    -Lots of hard work
    Small progress update for today. One more part to model then I tackle the windscreen.

xwing11.jpg
  • colbmistacolbmista2 Posts: 0Member
    fancy
  • killakanzkillakanz176 Posts: 112Member
    This is awesome.
    I've got the lego kit of Obi wan's Jedi Starfighter from episode 2. I've been wanting to make that in 3D for a while, this is inspiring!
  • ChrisGFXChrisGFX362 GermanyPosts: 607Member
    impressive!
    Coming along very nicely!
    Back again! Managed to work out the windscreen. I'm pretty sure I got it right, but we'll see how it looks when it's all put together. Three more pieces, two of which are really small but really intricate, and I'll be done with this section and on to the cargo bay.

xwing12.jpg
    Sorry for the double post. Starting to look like an X-wing now!

(ignore the out of place brick, it has been fixed. :) )

xwing14.jpg
    Looking great!!
    Finished up the cargo bay...

xwing15.jpg

...and finally started on the wings!

xwing16.jpg
  • cf3dcf3d0 Posts: 0Member
    Glad to see you jumped back into this.. looks good, I may have to start my x-wing and we can compare.. :)
    Thought this might help ya some.. you may already have it though...

Shows the angle of the parts...
    80992.jpg
    Great work, can't wait to see her when she's finished!

@cf3d - cool image, I hadn't seen that one before :)
    Thank you everybody! Will probably have some more work done on it today.

cf3d - Thanks! I'd never seen that before either.
    I've been slowly working out the laser cannons. All these round pieces are pretty tricky to model.

xwing17.jpg

Edit: Finished the first laser cannon. On to the engines now, which will take quite a bit of figuring out, since I don't have a lot of those parts.

xwing18.jpg

Edit2: Bonus render!

xwing19.jpg
    Very nice!
  • homerpalooza67homerpalooza67228 Posts: 1,891Member
    excuse me for a moment - HOLY CR*P!!!!! there ya go! :thumb:
    Test-fitting the wing. Just have two more pieces to finish for the engines and the wings will be done.

xwing20.jpg
    Nice... what renderer are you using?
    Default scanline actually. Just a skylight and an omni with ray traced shadows and light tracer turned on. The DOF is actually post work in Photoshop.

Anyway, she's done! Here's a couple of renders to tie you guys over until I get the stand built.

xwing22.jpg

xwing23.jpg
  • ChrisGFXChrisGFX362 GermanyPosts: 607Member
    WOW - fantastic work!
  • madmattmadmatt0 Posts: 0Member
    Great Final Result!!!
    Why thank you! Here's a video I made of the wing mechanism.