Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DThe Jolly Roger

LockeFPLockeFP171 Posts: 0Member
edited April 2010 in Work in Progress #1
My Sentinel class ship is sitting awaiting me to learn more about how to use Max so I can complete it, so I thought I would embark on another project that I can start from scratch. This is the Jolly Roger. It was inspired by the dropship craft seen in District 9 (http://www.wetanz.com/assets/Uploads/949Dropshipmodelpaintover2finGB.jpg), but is definitely not a model of that in particular, mainly because I couldn't find any good images of the thing.

Instead I'm making a ship from some universe of my own. It's a small trade vessel, sort of like the Millenium Falcon. Two- or three-person, maneuverable, landable, etc. Perhaps a ship in the Whedon Firefly universe.

I've really been trying to pay attention to detail with this one, which you can really see with the engines. Eventually the entire ship should be this detailed, with interior and exterior parts. Hopefully this one will get the works.
80732.jpg
80734.jpg
80735.jpg
80736.jpg
80745.jpg
Post edited by LockeFP on
Tagged:

• JWWrightJWWright171 Posts: 0Member
    Off to a good start, what does the ship look like, overall? District 9 was superb science fiction, I rank it up there with Moon, 2009 was a vintage year for scifi...
  • LockeFPLockeFP171 Posts: 0Member
    Okay, here are a couple more renders for you. The first two are from the nose and the second two are 1/3rd elevated orthographics. I (obviously) haven't started on the center sections of the ship. Instead I'm working my way in towards them. If I get time today, I'm gonna finish the weapon pods for the sides of the ship (just forward of the engine pylons) and start on the gear. After that, the nose and detail stuff, like antennae and hatches. There's also a detachable/ejectable cargobay on the underbelley at the rear which needs some attention, and then some textures.

Anyone know a good tutorial for creating projected light cones for stuff like spotlights coming from the hull? Or even splashing onto the hull?
    80743.jpg80744.jpg80745.jpg80746.jpg
    Got a fair amount done today. Added a set of RCS thrusters and the front gear (learning curve!) as well as several sundry items. Check out http://yfrog.us/j3jollyroger01z for a vid.

A few little tips would be nice: how do I change the main image of this thread, and how can I get motion capture videos that look like renders?
    So I got tired of seeing the same old black background in all of my renders, so I started designing a small hangar/landing bay for the Jolly Roger. Similar to the Death Star bays in A New Hope and Jedi, but with a more human feel. No dedicated textures here, yet. The elevator shaft is native Max and the rest is just modified and overlaid.

EDIT: The second image shows what the overall look will be like. There will be a set of pillars running the length of both side walls, but for the most part this is it. I want to keep it simple so that the attention is on the ship in the bay rather than anything going on in the bay itself.
    80826.jpg80828.jpg
    For the time-being, these are shots of the finished landing bay.

Time to texture the Jolly Roger!
    80840.jpg80841.jpg80842.jpg
    So how does my gear look? The materials are mostly native Max, with a couple of modifications and additions of my own. Need some feedback on this, as I'm trying to figure out if the materials are good enough without creating dedicated textures for the smaller parts of the ship (thrusters, gear parts, engine interior, etc).
    80892.jpg
    [Post removed because I'm an ass.]