Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DFederation Class Dreadnought

Marcus HunterMarcus Hunter0 Posts: 0Member
edited May 2010 in Work in Progress #1
I decided to warm up on this before trying my hand at my own TMP era dreadnought. So far, I have discovered that paneling a saucer is a royal pain in the hind quarters.
80670.jpg
Post edited by Marcus Hunter on
Tagged:

• Lizzy777Lizzy7771249 PNWPosts: 754Member
    Ooo Another Dread! The panel lines look a wee thick and deep. But other than that, the ship looks OK.
    "Cry 'Havoc!,' and let slip the corgies of war!"
  • ChanurChanur191 53.33° N / 10.00° EPosts: 305Member
    Ah, another dreadnought :)
    Klingons watch your back :D
    Yeah, paneling can be tricky. Good work so far.
    Have you already decided what name your ship will carry?
  • Marcus HunterMarcus Hunter0 Posts: 0Member
    Did some more work, made the panel gaps on the saucer smaller, and worked on paneling in other areas.
    80697.jpg
  • ghoyle1ghoyle10 Posts: 0Member
    I've always been of two minds about the FJ Dreadnought. It's kind of ridiculous to stick an extra nacelle up on top of the ship to make it go faster. Also, I like the hangar to be on the back of the secondary hull, not the fromt.

On the other hand, there's a part of my brain going "Neat!" And I can't wait to start working on my own Dreadnought.

Great job. I love it.

Guy
  • JWWrightJWWright171 Posts: 0Member
    Its not that the third nacelle makes it go faster, but makes it cross the warp threshold faster. Warp 6 is still warp 6, but getting there takes less time with the third engine... a tactical advantage for this well armed interceptor. Great model work on this!
    Looking good, but the aft end of your secondary hull do look a bit strange (from this angle?)
    Panel lines do look a lot better. Are you going to do more with the ship than what's in the blueprints? Smaller details to the plasma vents and intercooler and all the other Technobabble?
  • publiusrpubliusr550 Posts: 1,746Member
    Here is an idea for another dreadnaught--the faceted re-imagined connie might be a guide
    http://www.scifi-meshes.com/forums/showthread.php?75820-Another-Connie-Re-design/page2

A STTMP design with nacelles ending in a mass of antenna gives it a high tech look.

Nice shuttles to go with it perhaps:
    http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=119088
    Finished off the paneling and started adding armament. Seems a little too large, but it is about the size indicated on the blueprint...
    80724.jpg80725.jpg
    Yeah, they Phasers look really to big imo. Also i would remove the two at the aft end of the sensor dome.
    Rebuilt the saucer and paneling entirely using a new technique because the torpedo mounts and windows refused to work properly. Started the detail up.
    80790.jpg
  • FalinFalin0 Posts: 0Member
    nice another dread.

the third ncalle is a power naccelle to help power the additional weapons, and as stated above it speeds the ships acceleration to warp speeds.
    and yes i still think the shuttle bay in the front isn't good, nor is that extra deflector dish on the tail, unless the ship is meant to fly in reverse at high speeds.
    The new saucer looks way better.
    I see, that you place the torpedo launcher on the underside, do you also have one on the upper side?
    Have been working on the detailing in my free time, not that there is much of that at the moment. Not entirely sure what to do with the area behind the dishes.
    80957.jpg80958.jpg80959.jpg
    Hmm... Well, you could try some sort of paneling behind the three dishes. Maybe model in an access hatch or two, or deck lines or something. Also the swivel mechanism doesn't seem to match the top of the hangar doors. Maybe split that section in half, leaving a gap to allow movement for the doors.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]2 Posts: 3Member
    If you are not sure, then do nothing. In other words you don't need to add in anything.

To put it another way it isn't your problem. It is FJ's. He is at fault for not providing a large picture from which to draw upon.

By the way I have a disagreement with him in one regard, with regards to this ship. The deflectors. If the 16 meter dish is the primary deflector on the Constitution class, then it is deffinately good for up to warp six. That is, it will keep 'you' safe at warp. But what do the search sensors and navigational deflectors on the bow of the primary hull have to do? The are the back up/additional safety margin. So what about those five meter dishes? The Dreadnought moves at warp eight, and requires a better system. So one of them is for use at speeds above warp six.
    Update on the hanger and dish area. Worked over the gallery and control level, added an actual bay floor complete with two large turn tables and two elevators. The aft turntable also acts as an elevator for larger craft. The elevators don't go anywhere as of yet, but may in the future. Detailed up the area behind the deflectors with some raised paneling and radiative piping to make it look less empty.
    81017.jpg