Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DRe-Imagined Eagle Transporter

123457»

• TralfazTralfaz412 Posts: 846Member
    Hi Jeffery,

Your Eagle is looking amazing. The attention to detail is second to none. It looks well thought out and if they ever do a remake of the show, the movie folks should definitely contact you.

Al
  • StarshipStarship464 São Paulo - BrasilPosts: 1,976Member
    I always liked of Space 1999 and the Eagles. Nice to see them back and in an updated form.
    Will you be doing the other ships, like the Hawk, the bomber and the Satazius, for example?
  • JWWrightJWWright171 Posts: 0Member
    Possibly, I'd love to re-do the Hawk, complete with actual landing pads and a hatch to get inside (Missing from the original, I think)

I modeled the original here ages ago:

Mark IX Hawk, Global Space Command
    Thanks man! My script might be ready to pitch by summer... but who knows?
  • BuckaroohawkBuckaroohawk2 Posts: 0Member
    JWWright wrote: »
    I've tried, but I never could get the hang of Dr Who... I thought the low budget BBC series from the 70's was better than nothing, when I was a kid waiting for the next episode of the short lived "The Starlost" series from Canada... another candidate for a serious re-visit!

You remember "The Starlost"?! I thought I was the only one who had any recollection of that show. I've mentioned it to friends and even people at SF conventions and they look at me like "what the hell are you talking about?" I really can't remember much about it. I think Kier Dullea from "2001: A Space Odyssey" starred in it, and it was really low-budget. I'm Talking "Land of the Lost" low-budget, but the stories were very intruiging. I'd like to see someone take another crack at that cancept.
    Yep, it was Kier alright. Also featured many well known guest stars, like Barry Morse, and John Calicos in an episode (And you thought Shatner was hammy, Calicos out did the Shat, Barry was superb as always), and Walter Koenig in a recurring role (First time I saw him without the accent...). The show was Harlan Ellisons idea, which, had they stuck to his vision, would have been a remarkable series... instead of the obscure footnote it turned out to be, Harlan wrote about the production in a book of his, very interesting if you're into the behind the scenes stuff. I think the premise was interesting and would make a good mini-series, like the SciFi channel did for Dune.
  • PagrinPagrin171 Posts: 0Member
    I also remember Starlost. I even hunted up a few pics for the ship a while ago. There are a few small bits on you-tube if you hunt for them.
    I was at a presentation Richard Hatch held where is screened the trailer for his version of BSG. He got the whole surviving cast back (And even Lorne Green). But the one person who generated cheers and stamping feet was John Calicos.
    He didn't even have dialogue. Just seeing him grinning down at the camera from the command chair of a Base Star sent the whole audience into an up roar.

I can't say I liked the new BSG at all really, but that seems to be one of the few items we disagree on JWWright. I will say one thing for the show however. I did like the gritty look of the ships.
  • hazendhazend171 Posts: 0Member
    Ahh I definitely remember "The Starlost". There was also an episode where a guest star was played by the same person who played the Eastern Alliance commander in the original BSG.
    Been checking out how UV is done in C4D... trying it out on my Eagle:

th_004.jpg th_003.jpg th_002.jpg th_001.jpg

I still have a long way to go.... textures are at once, extremely tedious, but a very cool added dimension... double edged sword.

I am hoping one day, to re-design the ark from The Starlost... time, time, time... who ever has enough?
  • somacruz145somacruz1450 Posts: 0Member
    The textures seem a bit too random and low-res as far as I can tell but I think that's mostly because of the lack of AO and more advanced lighting setup. Looking forward to what you do with it because textures always hold loads of potential :thumb:
    I have been patiently awaiting the return of this thread! Glad you're over your burnout on this project, JW. The textures you've started with look good, but I think they need a little more order applied to them. You've worked very hard to give this model a functional look. Everything on it looks like it's really supposed to do something. The same discipline should be applied to the textures you choose. If you can crack that egg, then you've got it made. I've also learned from experience that less is more. Simple textures (a bit of grit here, some subtle hull weathering there) goes a lot farther than excessive hull plating and garish color. I'm certain you'll find the right balance that makes this great model into something really special.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]2 Posts: 3Member
    A few things to comment on.

The Raptors in NuBSG were FTL equipped. Don't know about the Vipers... In some cases, yes, in some cases no. That is, I don't think that it was a hard and fast rule for the Vipers. To put it another way, there were a couple of episodes where the Vipers had to be, in order to advance the script.

As to the The Star Lost, yes I remeber it. There is, or was web site site for it. www.snowcrest.net/fox/star.html
  • Dr.SleepDr.Sleep0 Posts: 0Member
    Very impressive work done so far
    I'm just learning how to texture, trying different methods, for video, the camera really isnt going to linger over every nook & cranny... it just has to look techie... here is an update with a little lighting for depth:

th_005.jpg th_006.jpg th_007.jpg th_008.jpg
  • somacruz145somacruz1450 Posts: 0Member
    That looks 10 times better now ! :thumb: Really great improvement both with the lighting and details on the textures - they look a lot more beliveable right now.
    Quick update:

th_009.jpg th_010.jpg

Texturing is so tedious, it's making me crazy. How do people put together a single model without making it their lifes work?
    Hey great to see this thread up and running again.
    Textures have always been a slow process for me as well, I much prefer the sculpting aspect of building a model.

However you're off to a good start here, these are already adding a lot to the pods.
    Yeah, texturing can be tedious, but when you find the right ones and you render an image to check it out and it looks so much better than you thought it would... that feeling is golden! The model you've been building, which you've only really thought of as a series of shapes, suddenly comes to life. It makes all the tedium worthwhile.
  • publiusrpubliusr550 Posts: 1,746Member
    I'd like to see you update the Swifts, the Super-swifts and the Hawks too, as well as the big probes.
    Thanks for weighing in, guys! I love those other ships, too... who knows, it's all about free time... More to come soon!
    A little more work:

th_014.jpg th_013.jpg th_012.jpg th_011.jpg
    Nice. The level of grime is spot on.
    Small update, man, there a lot of parts on this thing...

th_017.jpg th_016.jpg th_015.jpg
    I seem to recall that you were concerned about texturing, that you felt it wasn't your strongest area of expertise. From these latest images it looks to me like you didn't have anything to worry about.
    agreed Buckaroohawk. Also with the textures added It's nice to see some subtle touches of color here and there, which help define her as real machine, while not distracting from the over all metal white finish.
    Big thanks. guys! I have to give the various helpful folks who uploaded tutorials on YouTube credit, the UV edit mode in C4D is not intuitive at all to me, still isnt.

I'm using a combo of photoshop and coreldraw to output png's. Not sure if thats the best, but most of my textures have much fewer than 256 colors, there are gonna be tons of maps, and hopefully this strategy will conserve resources.

More soon, thanks again!
  • shanksowshanksow0 Posts: 0Member
    I love what you have done with the Space 1999 Eagle. One thing that always bother me about the original was how two Eagles docked together and if one or both of them did not have a cargo module. I always thought that the Eagles would turn "spine" to "spine" and a docking tube would emerge from the forward command module of the forward end of the Service module to allow for transfer of personal.
    Thanks man! I remember thinking, where and how does that extension tube reside within the module and not interfere with the interior or the extendable access steps? Of course, none of that made any mechanical sense, it was just a TV show and the story is what counted. In this redesign, the extension tubes have a receiving manifold on one side and a connecting manifold on the other (not designed yet.) which allows the boarding ramp to reach the surface on either side and lets the modules and ships dock.

On the ground, numbers of modules can interlink to form a remote mission HQ and ops center. Modules are specialized, the one shown here is transport, meant for Earth to Orbiting station to Moon travel, and capable of sustaining passenger and crew for up to a week, or more, of flight.

The moon trip usually only takes a few days travel time not including orbit station layover (dropping passengers off, picking up moon passengers) it's basically a shuttle bus service. This role changes of course, when the accident happens and the moon leaves Earth orbit. (Which in my scenario, probably happens due to hyperspace field generator research taking place on the moonbase, not a nuclear waste explosion)

I've got a lot of plates spinning and hope to get back to this soon!