Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DClaptrap: Borderlands

• Ok...I wish I would have considered the texturing as part of my workflow while modeling :) Live and learn. I have the main chassis unwrapped and ready for a fresh coat of paint. I know squat about UV mapping, but I'm figuring it out. I should have something to post pretty quick here, that is if my Wacom tablet hasn't deteriorated into a pile of ash from neglect.
  • Getting to unwrapping more of this model....been unwrapping a bunch of older models to get the hang of the UV thing and you know what? I am really learning to hate UV mapping. Tedium defined, that's what it is :lol:
  • Finally got the UVs done! It got faster as I went along and started to get the hang of the unwrapping thing. Was able to reduce poly count by quite a bit during the process as well. Now I'm off to paint:argh:
  • Finally have some color for the little guy! This is just the base color at this point. I still have to do some minor edits to this map (white strip is offset a little bit on front). I've never textured anything beyond solid color and simple procedural textures, that's whats taking me so long. Digging the learning experience though.
  • Jimi JamesJimi James0 Posts: 0Member
    Looking good man.
  • Lizzy777Lizzy7771249 PNWPosts: 754Member
    Finally have some color for the little guy! This is just the base color at this point. I still have to do some minor edits to this map (white strip is offset a little bit on front). I've never textured anything beyond solid color and simple procedural textures, that's whats taking me so long. Digging the learning experience though.

Doing your own texture mapping will definitely give your models a huge boost in quality. Just don't forget to add other maps to bring about more realism! Specular and bump maps can really bring out the detail.

So far so good.
    "Cry 'Havoc!,' and let slip the corgies of war!"
  • somacruz145somacruz1450 Posts: 0Member
    The texture looks pretty good so far, keep it up !
  • tobiantobian226 Posts: 1,600Member
    That's turning out really nicelly, it's a good choice for some texture work, not too horrendously complex. And you should get away with some basic procedurals or repeating cubic maps for the smaller areas.
  • Thank you. Here's some more base color additions. I did bump/spec the eye to test values and settings. I noticed that it is a little more forgiving using a grayscale version of the diffuse texture on the smaller parts for a bump map, but doing that with the chassis looked really bad. :lol: Gonna have to put a little work into that one.
  • elitewolverineelitewolverine171 Posts: 0Member
    looking great there.

as for texturing....are u using blenders stencil maps (nodes or non-nodes) for your chipped effects? or doing it externally with photoshop etc...
  • as for texturing....are u using blenders stencil maps (nodes or non-nodes) for your chipped effects? or doing it externally with photoshop etc...

Only UV maps at this point. I just unwrapped various groupings of objects (chassis, eye, misc. panels, etc.) and am using GIMP to do the textures. Most likely do some projection painting to extend the wear and tear after I finalize the overall textures. I don't know nodes yet. I should tackle learning them next.

Another minor update while I'm here :)
  • Have all but the arms done with this crude base texture(s). There's a bit of distortion on the wheel shocks. The UVs for both shocks are stacked. I tried unstacking them and that didn't fix it. Aligned normals too. Think there are some duplicate verts there.
  • BrianSzepBrianSzep187 Posts: 115Member
    Hi,

Looks really good. I am also getting ready to start texturing my model. Not really looking forward to it. Still trying to figure out how I want to go about it.

-Brian
  • BrianSzep wrote: »
    I am also getting ready to start texturing my model. Not really looking forward to it. Still trying to figure out how I want to go about it.

If it's the wicked detailed babylon ship, then I wouldn't look forward to texturing that either. I'd outsource the work to China. :lol:
  • Took quite a few years off the little guy. Only been working on the chassis at this point. Think the only thing left is to add a little rust here and there.
  • soulburn3dsoulburn3d1 Posts: 0Member
    Looks pretty cool. One note, right now I'd say that the dirt/wear details are pretty evenly spaced. You might want a few areas with way more dirt, and a few areas that are almost missing any.

- Neil
    Loops very good. You now need to start using the different layers, to alter spec and reflectivity based on the textures, so you can simulate the surfaces more realistically in non-neutral ambient lighting :) Nice textures though!
  • soulburn3d wrote: »
    Looks pretty cool. One note, right now I'd say that the dirt/wear details are pretty evenly spaced.

Now that you mention it...I am still going to add rust to the mix. I'll paint out some of the wear and offset some of the even-ness :confused: while I'm at it.
    tobian wrote: »
    You now need to start using the different layers, to alter spec and reflectivity based on the textures...Nice textures though!

I haven't touched the spec/ref settings on the material yet. Just figuring out how to paint textures at this point. Never messed with GIMP too extensively. Will be making the bump/spec maps shortly.

Thanks for the suggestions. All help quite welcome.
  • some prelim bump/spec maps...bleh. Going to move on with detailing the remainder diffuse textures. I'll leave the nuance textures for last.
  • I took a short break from this project. I get bored easy :p

Getting close, but still more to do...
  • Jimi JamesJimi James0 Posts: 0Member
    More, to do? What's left. It already looks amazing.
    Looking very good though I am concerned you can see the textures pixelising slightly. You may need higher-res textures.. I love all the wear marks and paint details though!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]2 Posts: 3Member
    This model is very GENIAL! With Sniper Rifles? Are you Hunter ? ^^
    I would like to play as Ninja Assassin...
    For the texturing, can we easily change the color? that would be great!
  • Eiyeron wrote: »
    This model is very GENIAL! With Sniper Rifles? Are you Hunter ? ^^
    I would like to play as Ninja Assassin...
    For the texturing, can we easily change the color? that would be great!

Thanks all of the above for the comments. and yes i have a hunter, but haven't played the game in a long time.

I do have a template file that I am working from for the textures and yes the color would be a snap to change.

I am coming back to this model today :) I want to be done with him. Been taking time to work on setting up a website for my blender junk. Working toward posting models, works in progress and tutorials. I have to learn to manage my time better, lighting a fire under my bum regardless.
  • I'm back on this model finally. The project folder for this was a mess, so I had to consolidate some stuff and delete others.

Started by cleaning up the bump map and spec.

Need to add some bump to the exposed gray metal...too smooth. Also bump needed for the brown parts.

Started a normal map for the panels and seams. still need a panel or two on the back.
  • Today's update. Would have been more, but I got obsessed with creating the biohazard symbol. I don't know why :lol:
    Looking much better, I love the edging effects, they look spot on! :)
  • RekkertRekkert4037 Buenos Aires, ArgentinaPosts: 2,302Member
    Great work, always loved this little "interplanetary ninja assassin".:D
    For all my finished Trek fan art, please visit my portfolio
  • Thanks for comments, glad i'm on the right track :lol:

Added some small details to the exposed metal, it was looking too uniform.

only have a couple of stripes to paint over the edges of the brown area and to clean up the large white stripe where the seams are showing and to remove some of the orange under paint.

too much surface area on this part! can't wait to jump on the smaller pieces. But i have learned a lot about using GIMP, so that's a plus.
    Very nice, just a shame the maps weren't bigger, for closeup shots! :)