Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

Learning by reverse engineering

Judge DeathJudge Death0 Posts: 0Member
I'm going to try something to help my pitifully slow progress at blender and if it works I'll keep people here posted on it as a learning tool.

I'm going to try some reverse engineering. I'm going to look at full bender models and files posted by much better blender artists and try to see how their models look when examined up close.

One thing I hope to learn is how many vertices are enough and how may may be too many. I've found you can't make a good model just by adding vertices, that just grinds your system down to a crawl.

So I'm going to examine some of the models made and posted by truly great blender artists, like polaris and the guy at mad shipyards, to see if I can learn how a properly made mesh should look, how many verts it needs, etc.

If it works I'll recommend it as a learning aid.
Post edited by Judge Death on

• MelakMelak332 Posts: 0Member
    There are a number of things you can learn from "reverse engineering" other models, for example (like you said) the number of segments on a curve necessary to make it look good, the number of segments on a rounded edge so that it looks round and catches enough light..however most of the time, things like that really depend on the scale of your model, and how up close you intendto get.

Other things are best learned by trying again and again. Having difficulties subsurfing a special shape? Try everything and anything that comes to mind, more often than not the solutions are deceptively simple..once you know them.

Just don't see any way to do a thing? Worst case scenario - do it the painful, manual way.

Good luck on your quest for knowledge! :D
  • SphynxSphynx195 Posts: 461Member
    Been a while since I was around (for various RL reasons). The BFTFH tutorials will be updated as soon as v2.5 is released properly, but for now if you are interested in sub-surface modelling, try this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bd8Yazn3F7c

The video is in two halves. First halve is purely sub-surface; second is after the mesh is fixed and some detailing is added. Its highly accelerated (about x10, from a 3 hour session) but it should give you some pointers.
  • Judge DeathJudge Death0 Posts: 0Member
    One thing I leared was how fer verts some good models need, and that I had and still hve waaaay too frakking many in a lot of cases.