Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DCaldari Tech 3 battleship prototype

HobbesHobbes5 Posts: 0Member
edited December 2010 in Work in Progress #1
Wow. Been a while. I've been building this for a while, and some might recall the familiar aesthetics from an older design of mine.

Not very high poly, though I may go back and boost detail here and there. I'm trying to keep it low for the meantime and see how much I can get textures to compensate.
86061.JPG
Post edited by Hobbes on
Tagged:

• aylaa12aylaa120 Posts: 0Member
    you're back hobbes and with a bang nice ship there you left some of us waiting for that bsg battleship you planned to build but no matter this ship looks great welcome back bud
  • stephan_skastephan_ska171 Posts: 0Member
    If i remember correctly .. Caldari means to be Eve-Based ?

Anyway, great job with this model !!
    Some detail-shots would be great either !!

Cheers, Stephan
  • tobiasrichtertobiasrichter333 Posts: 0Member
    Pretty nice for a Caldari ship :D
  • sorceress21sorceress21269 Posts: 577Member
    THAT...is a seriously cool design Hobbes! Looks like something from The Jovian Chronicles too.
  • Jimi JamesJimi James0 Posts: 0Member
    I like this ship a lot, but it's hard to get a handle on some of the angles. From each perspective, it's almost like we're looking at a completely different ship; which is by no means a bad thing or a criticism against the design.
  • J.WildeJ.Wilde0 Posts: 0Member
    Hey, it's Caldari. That means it meets or exceeds standards in the following categories:

1. Asymmetrical design. It's not Caldari if it doesn't have more bits on one side than the other. Check.
    2. Macross Missile Massacre. Even though they use railguns, all anyone talks about are missiles. Check.
    3. Blocky and angular. The Caldari are allergic to curves. Ever seen a Civire woman? Check.
    4. Looks fast, drives slow. Caldari ships look fast, but even though they have the most advanced propulsion systems in the Cluster besides the Jovians, they still manage to have the slowest ships. No speed data to confirm. Looks Fast, but...

Finally, to be a true Caldari design, it must conform to the following axiom: Caldari/PVP/Solo - Pick Two.

Aside from the fact that the general plan form looks like a Wyvern moving backwards, I'd say that you were well on your way to making the State proud with this design!
  • davidnevuedavidnevue0 Posts: 0Member
    As a Caldari player, I support this thread :)
  • DimitriyDimitriy0 Posts: 0Member
    I second that
  • HobbesHobbes5 Posts: 0Member
    Bit of an update, still working on diffuse maps. Working my way to the stern of the ship.
    80039.jpg
  • StarshipStarship464 São Paulo - BrasilPosts: 1,976Member
    Welcome back Rick! ItA’s a long time without a wip from you. It was the time for you to came back. ;)
  • CifuCifu0 Posts: 0Member
    Looks superb! But why not "blueish" colored? ;)
    It really is time I finish this. Well, I'm about 75% done the diffuse maps now, and yes, there's still lots of crappy placeholder textures but I'm getting there!
    85767.jpg85768.jpg
  • aylaa12aylaa120 Posts: 0Member
    a while I remember you said you had a new bsg ship planned for building would we get a chance to see that I remember it was a battlecruiser or battleship type ship jejejeje besides the obvious great work on this ship she looks great hope to see more soon great job as always
  • Klavs81Klavs81224 Posts: 197Member
    Looking great! It's always hard with big ships to know when to draw the line with smaller details, or to just suggest them with textures. You've got a great sense of scale going on, now FINISH HIM!!! :D
    Last update for tonight. Seeing the windows actually gives a much better sense of scale.
    85769.jpg85770.jpg
  • oldmangregoldmangreg198 Woodland Hills, CAPosts: 1,339Member
    That's pretty cool.
    Your right to an opinion does not make your opinion valid.
  • colbmistacolbmista2 Posts: 0Member
    i think the windows are a bit to big
  • LockeFPLockeFP171 Posts: 0Member
    Personally, I don't see anything wrong with the window size. It's the color that gets me. I generally stick to the idea that lighting on a ship would be mostly blue-white, but you have it as mostly blue. I guess you could say that the windows are tinted blue, but I would rather imagine that the color would tend to be a much whiter blue, with yellow tones added in to give depth and variety. However: your ship, your rules.
  • Capt DaveCapt Dave0 Posts: 0Member
    colbmista wrote: »
    i think the windows are a bit to big

I've always felt that windows on a starship were about as useful as a screen door on a submarine. All they are is unarmored spots in the hull.
  • lennier1lennier1913 Posts: 1,280Member
    Nice work!

A Nebulon-B that's stuck in reverse?
  • BrianSzepBrianSzep187 Posts: 115Member
    That is a very cool design. I like it.

-Brian
  • dreamwalkerdreamwalker179 Posts: 189Member
    Hobbes wrote: »
    Last update for tonight. Seeing the windows actually gives a much better sense of scale.
    Still don't think you've got the scale 100% right though, need more objects and parts that are on the 1-2 meter scale and when you have a closer look at eve models you'll notice that the windows are really really small (although inconsistent, compare the thorax to the rokh for instance.)
  • Tochiro76Tochiro760 Posts: 0Member
    You know... this looks a lot like a really fancy capship from wing commander 3 pc game! Except for that space dock bit at the rear. Is that a space station it is docked at?

LOL jk but really if you just chopped off the bit at the back and made some more interesting looking engines it would be much better.
    Hey Dreamwalker, nice to see you here :) Congratz on the Tornado BTW. Hope to fly that puppy soon. I am going to go back for sure and make the windows considerably smaller. I'll also adjust the curves on them so that I can get more of them to be blue-white than just blue.
  • ParkerParker0 Posts: 0Member
    Capt Dave wrote: »
    I've always felt that windows on a starship were about as useful as a screen door on a submarine. All they are is unarmored spots in the hull.

Caldari ships are known to have the by far most advanced and powerful shield systems across the whole cluster, only the mysterious Jovians have even superior technology on that field.

And the standard eve player doesn't really care about windows, as we sit in our liquid-filled pods and control our ships via direct neural link to the ship systems. The only "normal" humans on board are probably engineering- and maintenance-crews. And they are just expendable.

To the ship:

I don't know, I don't know, the windows seem far to big for a battleship (and there are too many), and it doesn't really fit with the new Caldari-style CCP has introduced with the Tengu and the new Scorp.
  • sorceress21sorceress21269 Posts: 577Member
    You gotz da talentzzzzzzz!
    Finished unwrapping the last most complex part of the ship today, and started making the diffuse textures. Now there's just a few small bits here-and-there left.

I've shrunk down the windows as well, to improve sense of scale, not sure if I will shrink them further, but scale-wise I'm starting to think it's more battlecruiser size. Wel'll see.
    86061.JPG86071.jpg
  • AeriesAeries1 Posts: 0Member
    Good ship so far. :]
    Slowly getting more and more done. Still some parts here and there that have no textures. I'll probably work on the very front end next.
    86277.jpg86278.jpg
  • ParkerParker0 Posts: 0Member
    The ships seems a little to bright to me, may be lightning though.

But please, as a personal request, remove the IRC-logo and put the mad clown face of IT there. =P