Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DRe-Imagined Eagle Transporter

• somacruz145somacruz1450 Posts: 0Member
    Wow that surely turned out nice :thumb: I like the cockpit very much !
  • PagrinPagrin171 Posts: 0Member
    Programs can be a bit like that. I found that LW was very intuitive for me. Generally speaking Tools seems to be in the same menu I would have put them. But I found MAX to be completely messed up for me. What works for one doesn't work for all. Having said that I'd be happy to do some photoshoping of textures for your maps if you can export them. I'm hardly an expert or anything.
  • JWWrightJWWright171 Posts: 0Member
    Quick update, check it out:

th_195.jpgth_194.jpgth_193.jpgth_192.jpgth_191.jpgth_190.jpgth_189.jpgth_188.jpgth_187.jpgth_186.jpgth_185.jpg

Still a long way off for textures... gotta chunk up the TM, and get those vertical lift thrusters built...
  • BuckaroohawkBuckaroohawk2 Posts: 0Member
    Speaking of the VTOL thrusters, are you planning on putting them on both the main body and the central pod? One of the few things I never liked about the original design were the thrusters under the detachable center pod. To me they seemed unnecessary, especially if the pod was supposed to be disengaged from the main body and left at a separate location. I suggest putting the VTOL thrusters on the underside of the main body only, between the landing gear. Just my two cents.
    I agree with you Buckaroohawk. With the thruster on the Center pod, it implies that pod is doing the lifting. It also imply the passenger version needs more thrust than the nuke waste versions etc.
    Having said that. and having looked at the bottom of the unit above. There are slots in the base, which could allow for a retractable unit of some sort which locks the pod in place. These might have a thruster attached.
    Good points, guys. I imagined that the transport module also served as a lifeboat, complete with parachute deployment and thrusters for a controlled, softer landing, and the TM engines were never used in the normal operation of the Eagle. Maybe even RCS rockets for maneuverability... the TM's can have different internal configurations... a passenger transport version, mission operations center, habitat/barracks... they can be dropped into a mission theater and even linked together to form a remote operations headquarters. This could be support for an operation Exodus investigation team, for example. And investigation can take place for a television broadcast season, deployed as the moon passes by a planetary candidate, is maneuvered into an elliptical orbit around the systems sun, passes by a year or so later which hopefully is enough time to determine if Exodus is a go or no go.
    Wow, JW, you really are putting a lot of thought into the capabilities of this ship. That can only be a good thing since function often dictates form, especially in utilitarian vessels like the Eagle. Just don't over-think it. That leads to brain lock, and that's no fun at all.
    I think thats why I model so slowly... I should draw things out before I model, but I have a bad habit of making it up as I model.

TM update, RCS quads and a recessed docking interface:

th_200.jpgth_199.jpgth_198.jpgth_197.jpgth_196.jpg
    JWWright wrote: »
    I think thats why I model so slowly... I should draw things out before I model, but I have a bad habit of making it up as I model.

I don't draw anything out beforehand either. Tried it and discovered that the finished product often turned out so radically different from the drawn specs that it was a waste of my time.
    Nice update. I like the way the pod is shaping up. The windows help retain the look of the original version as well.
    The only time I sketch stuff is when I'm on a train etc and away from the computer. Other than that I just go from brain the modeler program.
    Pagrin wrote: »
    The only time I sketch stuff is when I'm on a train etc and away from the computer. Other than that I just go from brain the modeler program.

What? You mean you don't have an ever-present laptop at your side? One that's with you so often that it seems like an additional appendage? That's just SO 20th century! ;-)
    I've got a lap top, but the time it takes to boot and the amount of wobble from the trains here, means text if fine, but drawing is impossible.

I am lucky enough to have bosses who don't really know much about computers, so I installed LW at work. That way I can keep my current project on a USB stick and work on it during my breaks. :-)
    I was really just pulling your chain, Pagrin. Actually, you have one up on me because I don't own a laptop myself. Sneaky, installing LW on your work computer and keeping projects on a USB so you can keep working if/when inspiration strikes. I used to just write a note and had to wait until I got home. Now that I think about it, that's rather 19th century of me, so you've got me beat all the way around! ;-)
    My bosses are very understanding. :-) It's one of the reasons I'm still there after 15 years.
    Funny thing is I got the laptop so I could work anyway (even on trains), but the actual act of doing LW anywhere on it has all but alluded me.
    I love my laptop, I have a very powerful workstation in my music studio, but I do all my work on my laptop, so I'm not sequestered from the fam for hours on end... which was a real problem.

Now I just use my workstation for network drives and recording songs.

The TM is coming along, I'm also designing, in my head, what the moonbase landing pad, boarding gate interface will look like... more to come.

th_201.jpg
    th_202.jpg
    th_203.jpg
    th_204.jpg
    th_205.jpg
  • stephan_skastephan_ska171 Posts: 0Member
    I really love this model. Really i do.
    It's so frakking different than the original was but it's looking totaly familiar.
    Great job !!
    Waiting for the landing pad etc.. !

Cheers, Stephan
    I guess that's the next most logical aspect to the design for the door. IE what it fits into so the door can still open.
    Nice update BTW. :-)
    A little more TM detail... it's tempting to just do this quickly with rectangular chunks, but I dont wanna cheap out on the geometry... which is why it's so time consuming... ugh!

th_206.jpg th_207.jpg th_208.jpg th_209.jpg th_210.jpg
    One think I would recommend on the "door" there was this multilayered "I" bar like greeble on the doors from the original. I think it would be a nice original detail to retain.
    Thats just what I was thinking, there may be a bit of redesign on the hatch, I think a seal-ring that could attach to a number of different openings in hulls and that will create a seal, even if the dock is put in an opening much larger than itself, by deploying an inflatable ring on its edge that spans the opening to create a seal.

The interfaces on each dock may also be different for interconnection between two TM's, port to starboard...

The insets on the sides of the TM will likely also contain extendable boom arms with clamps to stabilise the ship when docked to a ship or other structure in zero-G.

Details, details...
    Including the TM truss lugs, four points of double attachment.... hard to see in these pics.

th_211.jpg th_212.jpg th_213.jpg th_214.jpg th_215.jpg
    Excellent as always. It seems Eagles are popping up all over the place at the moment. I might have to break out my old Interceptor model and finish the textures.
  • CifuCifu0 Posts: 0Member
    Nice touch, excellent work! :)
    Another update, the TM underside:

th_216.jpg th_217.jpg th_218.jpg th_219.jpg th_220.jpg
  • Stev0Stev00 Posts: 0Member
    Definitely a SPACE 2099 Eagle.
    I could spend days scrutinizing the detail you've incorprated into this model and I'd love every minute of it! This thing must be one mammoth of a file by now, though. How many MEGS does this thing take up?
    Thanks guys, I appreciate your enthusiasm! The entire file is only 3.48 Mb's so far. Next, I'm tackling the hatchway... stay tuned!
    Does anyone know how to change the thumbnail for a thread? I've noticed other folks doing it, but I can't figure it out....
    th_222.jpg th_221.jpg th_223.jpg th_224.jpg th_225.jpg
    3.48 Mbs? 3.48 Mbs!!! Great Scott!