Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DVoyager Bridge Original

PeterDrakePeterDrake0 Posts: 0Member
edited June 2010 in Work in Progress #1
Hey everyone,

This is my first big project modeling something, but I wanted you all to see what I was working on and tell me what you think. This project started out in Sketchup, and then I recently imported it into Blender. So I am wondering, do you think I should continue with this model, or start over? Right now I'm leaning towards working with this model, but I would like to see what you all think.

I look forward to your comments.

Here is the model so far:

Voyager_Bridge_04&.jpg

Voyager_Bridge_01&.jpg

Voyager_Bridge_03&.jpg

Voyager_Bridge_02&.jpg
79986.jpg
79987.jpg
79988.jpg
79989.jpg
Post edited by PeterDrake on
Tagged:

• meugen06meugen06334 Posts: 5Member
    Continue with this model,my Blender brother.
  • carlgcarlg1 Posts: 0Member
    Blender's not my forte, but this looks like a fine start to me.
    I don't really remember the Voyager bridge very well, but wasn't the ceiling higher? The guy in your renders doesn't look like he has very much headroom.
  • PeterDrakePeterDrake0 Posts: 0Member
    Yes, I believe the ceiling was higher, but I was going to leave the height of the ceiling until I was ready to model it. Right now I still have the Captain's chair, the Conn, and various details inside to work on before I move to the ceiling. Glad you like my work so far!
  • gm2378gm23780 Posts: 0Member
    Looks like your off to a great start! I've attempted the Voyager bridge but always get sidetracked.

I would say though that your back wall, where the MSD is looks a little too curved, which might explain why the Bridge looks a little cramped.

Can't wait to see more!
    OK everyone, a quick update.

I have been working mainly on Tuvok and Harry's consoles, so here's a screenshot:

Voyager_Bridge_05&.jpg

Of course, I am open to comments and (constructive) criticism.

And by the way, I have decided to make it completely in Blender, because the Sketchup version had some problems. Actually, it had a lot of problems. From far away it looked nice, but there were strange vertices, overlapping faces, etc. I'm guessing they're from the way Sketchup exports to .dae, and then Blender imports those files.
    80057.jpg
  • Mycroft MaxwellMycroft Maxwell0 Posts: 0Member
    I love finding people who use blender. A Very underated program to be completly free.
  • SgtChainSaWSgtChainSaW0 Posts: 0Member
    Looking nice just wait untill you start on the roof. It a real @#$. Trust me i know. Been detailing it for a few weeks now and its still not ready.

voybridgeroof3.jpg

It still need so many little details like support struds.

Cant wait to see what you come up with. drop me a line if you need some reference material. (mesh)

GL mate.
  • gm2378gm23780 Posts: 0Member
    That lighting fixture looks brilliant!
  • AresiusAresius359 Posts: 4,171Member
    nice work, I like it. :)
    @ Peterdrake : i would use a little more polygons. Esp. on that ops station conrner.Makes it look better and it's easier to do at this stage than later. I dont know much about blender. Does it use curved splines? Or draw them in manualy.

Keep up the good work.
    Thank you all for your input, I haven't been working on this model as much as I would have hoped, so I don't have any updates. Sorry.

@SgtChainSaW: Thanks! I will keep that in mind... I haven't really used splines in modeling in Blender or any other program, so I haven't been using them, but maybe I will look into them on the Blender wiki. I believe you can draw them and then extrude them to whatever shape you want, which is cool once I get off my lazy butt and actually do it. And about the polygon count: I was aiming for a low-poly model for use in a (completely hypothetical) computer game, and to sort of get started and dirty with Blender's modeling tools. For now, Boolean modifiers and merging vertices seem to be my best friends. What program do you use? And by the way, that lighting fixture does look nice.

So anyway, thanks for all of your input, and I will keep you updated whenever I get some more work done.
    @Peterdrake : I used to do a lot of boolean and merging myself but found it to much work switching back to mesh every time. I'm a bit ashamed to say (to the 3d purists among us) that i use google sketchup pro now, but found it to be so easy to create models and make corrections. Its like drawing on paper. Then i export it to 3ds for use in 3dsmax to add textures lights and additional detail that are easier to make in max. Sketchup can export to 3ds, dxf, dwg, kmz, dae, fbx, obj, wrl and xsi. Just aslong as you group the different objects and draw every vertice your model comes out pretty accuate.
  • SATRSATR256 Posts: 412Member
    Voyager bridge is my all time favourite bridge