Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DDeath Shadow from Captain Harlock

komarokomaro348 CanadaPosts: 752Member
edited April 2010 in Work in Progress #1
This is actually an old project I started 6 months ago and I wasn't satisfied with modelling it in Cinema 4D. So I am trying to finish it this time in 3DS max. All the front nose part was imported from Cinema 4D and was made in Nurms. There are 2 versions of Harlock's ship, I chose the DeathShadow 2 because I find it more sexy. This isn't an actual replica either, rather an modern interpretation. In french the ship was name Atlantis.

DS1.jpg

DS2.jpg

Atlantis.jpg
80778.jpg
Post edited by komaro on
Tagged:

• riichard63riichard630 Posts: 0Member
    I know this arcadia it's a relly beautiful ship.

Do a nice work please don't kill him =D
  • komarokomaro348 CanadaPosts: 752Member
    Just one problem: I don't remember the engines on that thing. I don't have an image of it either.
    I have the film I can make some pictures for you.
    You need the engines? I can do it.

And you're Canadian do you speak french? Because you called the ship atlantis.
    But I'm french and I prefer Atlantis. =D
    I prefered creat an othe post instead of editing.
    I have no bette quality for the moment

atlantisengines.png

An other:
    atlantisengines2.png

atlantisp.png

atlantis2w.png

And watch this page : http://scihighmodels.com/bluearcadia.html

There are some engine and other pictures.
    Ah, the model is much more complete. Gee there is a lot of details I missed out...Gonna check that out. Already the back wings aren't very good for my model...
    And it's my favourite model too.
    Update. Change the wing completely. I decide for two engines. Replace the big missile for a big gun (Still need some work on the sides), gonna add two small ones on top of the wing (With a base). Like I said an adaptation... Still not decided on what I will do at the tip of the wings.

DS3.jpg

DS4.jpg

DS5.jpg
    It's nice but 4 engines O_o
    Powerful ship it'll be.
    I figure that if it's a pirate ship, it should be the fastest...and should be able to easily get in or out of atmosphere. Just trying to bring a bit more to the design...in terms of practicality. I probably won't do the type of tower the ship had in the middle. I want it to remain aerodynamic to some points. But I will finish the wings first.
    Okay,
    It seems the wings have a biggest angle.
    But the tower in the middle is the command center.
    So nice uptdate =)
    Update, bit of work on the wing side.
    DS6.jpg

DS7.jpg
    It's really better than the first time.
  • MihoshiMihoshi0 Posts: 0Member
    komaro wrote: »
    Just one problem: I don't remember the engines on that thing. I don't have an image of it either.

I've GOT the large die-cast model that was released a few years ago. Tomorrow I'll get you some pictures from various angles, including aft.
    That ok Mihoshi, I have this model pictures now:
    http://scihighmodels.com/bluearcadia.html
    I have modelled the engines on that shape too...
    I redid the wings...they were too long and the shape wasn't really workable.
    The central part is really hard...I have already restarted twice on my concepts and I don't know how to approach it. I am gonna try drawing it in 2d to get a hint of where I am going with it.
    I came up with this after drawing. I still need to make the guns and add some little things, but the basic shape for the back decks are there...

DS8.jpg
    DS9.jpg
    DS10.jpg
    DS11.jpg
  • Tochiro76Tochiro760 Posts: 0Member
    Hey lookin good but please don't put the knife blade on the front lol!

I liked the original better because the front end stated the obvious so well:-)
  • TrekMDTrekMD192 Posts: 639Member
    Cool, it has been a long time since I've seen anything related to this show.
    Tochiro76 wrote: »
    Hey lookin good but please don't put the knife blade on the front lol!
    I liked the original better because the front end stated the obvious so well:-)

Not sure what you mean...On the front nose, on the down side, there is three separators one further up front and central. It's not like the original I think. But I didn't have any reference at the time...so the nose is longer and pointier. The side intakes are slimmer too. In total the ship is also longer and slimmer, and the wing span larger.

DS12.jpg
  • Tochiro76Tochiro760 Posts: 0Member
    If you have ever watched the show there is literally a giant knife blade the pops out on the front of the ship lol and they ram the ship into another ship and cut the other ship open with the knife blade haha!

The way ships are designed in matsumoto's universe are all based on WWII navy ships, if you can find a way to de clutter them just a bit and improve on the details somehow you will really see something nice because matsumoto has done all the hard work already:-) There is usually a bottom turret on these ships that harlock uses to destroy a persuing vessel in some episodes so don't forget the bottom turret or he won't escape hehe:-)

Seriously though this particular universe is rarely visited and has a great deal of interest to many people. The particular style of animation for these shows is incredibly unique and there is nothing better than the original. The starblazers universe is very similar and has some good ship designs also if you haven't seen them already.
    For the nose you can watch my drawing here http://riichard63.deviantart.com/art/Albator-atlantis-78-159162750
    Thanks Richard. Eh here's an update on guns and the tower, etc...

DS13.jpg

DS14.jpg

DS15.jpg

DS16.jpg
    This is most probably the finished model before texturing.

DS17.jpg

DS18.jpg

DS19.jpg
    Ah ok it's a nice model but a little... Naked =D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]2 Posts: 3Member
    100% badass
    badass?
    Euhh...well.

For the color I am using a bit of reflection in the blue variants, some more then the other. I did some scratching and light imperfection in the colors. About the naked part...yes I know it's less populated then the original, that had tons of small wings and protuberances. But I wanted a more aerodynamic ship from the start with less stuff (Even if the guns goes a bit against that).

I am not at a stage right now where I feel comfortable making extra technical details. I feel it's always a bit odd when I make them. In fact, I am just learning how. This is only my third project on Max, and I just find out how I can merge spline shapes into an object...so it's a learning process for me. Eventually I might try to texture in Max too...
    But what does it means?
    Update texture with the skull. I pick the skull somewhere on google. I don't know who did it, but it's the best looking one I have found. Didn't have the heart of doing one myself...

DS21.jpg

DS22.jpg