Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DDUNE (1984) WIP's

• monsoontidemonsoontide0 Posts: 0Member
    Thanks Aresius - glad to see you are still keeping an eye on this project :)

Found some really awesome reference pictures online on a model making forum, so using those, I have remodeled the cockpit and added a few more details here and there. Still have the underside of the main cabin to do (It's driving Me nutty - curves, curves, curves)... and maybe the interior - I am still deciding whether or not it will be worth My while to take the time to model it.
    Used the "Automotive" shader on the hull - looks nice now! Probably too nice! lol 78824.jpg
  • AresiusAresius359 Posts: 4,171Member
    Heh, how could I not, Dune's a wonderful thing and your "upgrade-project" is doing it great credit.
    This will probably be My last update for a while as I have to start packing everything up tomorrow ready for the move.
    Worked on the wings today and started trying to sort out the underside details.
    78841.jpg
    Good luck with the move, I know how crappy that can be.
    I may be on the move within short as well for my studies. :?
    Everyone's moving, I just realise.
  • publiusrpubliusr550 Posts: 1,746Member
    This might have been dealt with earlier, but wasn't the Baron's large ship a hammerhead design--a little like Sadors ship from Battle Beyond the Stars or the Rebel Blockade Runner?
    Yep!
    I thought that the hammerhead shape of the Harkonnen ship was too different from the Atreides and Emperor's ships to fit into the generic docking collars aboard the Guild transport ship, so since I am doing a "special edition" and not a remake, I decided to shorten it.

Haven't seen Battle Beyond The Stars for years - though I hear there is a new BBTS prequel comic coming out.
  • publiusrpubliusr550 Posts: 1,746Member
    That does make sense to shorten the design so that it mates with the Guild vessels. In the newer made for TV series, they had the vessels as tube shaped masses of ships seemingly unconnected, like the travel plate conveyences we saw the mecha use at the end of the movie A.I. That might be an interesting direction--assemblies of ships with no connectors needed. We see even Enterprise-J moving towards mastery of field manipulation with thinner nacelle supports. Still, the 1984 Dune had a better look to me--the faceted shields--the hum of the shield wall as opposed to the TV series more general force fields that seemed weaker.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]2 Posts: 3Member
    cool. How do flapping wings on that orin. Maybe make wings fold in and out during flight.
    Well, I now have a slightly faster computer with considerably more RAM and Hard Drive space and a direct X 10 graphics card, so hopefully some of the more complex animation setups are now more achievable!

To begin with, I decided I really needed to go and finish up the Emperor's Palace on Kaitain, since it is really the opening FX shot of the movie (Not counting all the intro stuff and the guild's secret report).

I've finished up the landing field and I have to work out what the heck the guild lander looks like - since it is as really odd shape and I only have a few references for it.

I am also playing around with time of day... all the exterior model shots seem to be set at night in the movie (Caladan Castle, Geidi Prime, Kaitain Palace), so I thought it might look better to try a few alternatives.
    So for Kaitain I am trying out a sort of golden sunset kind of look - trying not to make it look too "starwarsy" though.

The animation is over on youTube here and includes the original version of the shot. (Was just over the file size limit to upload here)

P.S. - I'm urgently looking for work now that I had to move back to LA... any tips or advice on who/where to go/contact for Lightwave jobs? I know its a super duper competitive market out there right now, but any help would be really appreciated!
    79852.jpg79853.jpg
    Well, ever since Ron Miller sent Me the blueprints and some close up shots of one of the hero flying models (NOT the giant landed model), I have been meaning to get around to fixing up My model a bit.
    Started tonight by trimming of the ends of the "wings" - they don't end in a point. Still have to model the "guns" that protrude from there though.
    Also worked in the upper "trench" that I had previously missed, with similar detailing going on the back side of the wing section. (It looks different to the movie but I really don;t feel like trying to model that same insanely tiny random details)
    After that, I started work redoing all the beveling work, beginning with the top section of the main hull. Have to do the sides and finally found a picture that has some of the detailing for the underside. Gonna try and get this done by the end of the week. Here's a link to a WIP of the previous version in action.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zhig5LtzCZw
    80081.jpg
    Took some time out today detail up the doorway on the frigate. There seemed to be something really funky going on looking at the set photos and it took Me a while to work out that there is a sort of "inset" inside the door frame. Have to detail up that little area (the angled area on each side of the gold door area).
    There is also another beam that sticks out where the handrails are that I have not yet modeled as I am not sure how that part fits together.
    Also ligned the three little insets that run around the "legs" and the front just above the doorways and fixed up that area so tha panels are all connected and not just "floating"
    I think this is about as far as I am going to go at the moment. (Save for some more details on the doorway)
    Could of course keep going berzerk with detail but I think I am going to texture/bump/normal map some of the more ornate details. 80272.jpg80273.jpg
    wow, that's really good.
    Managed to track down some detailed pictures of the old Revell model of the Sand Crawler vehicle briefly seen in the movie right before the sandworm attacks the spice harvester.
    sandcrawler.jpg
    DUNE_SandCrawler_Plans_P5.jpg

I wasn't going to model it, but I really need a few vehicles to help populate the city new version of Arrakeen city and make it come to life a bit more, so I have modeled a low poly version of this and will also do the two other toy vehicles that were made from the movie at the time.
    DUNE_Blog_Models_SandCrawler.jpg
    80563.jpg80564.jpg80565.jpg
    Thanks Aresius!

Here is the next Lo-Res vehicle - the Sand Roller - based on one of the few toys developed from the movie:
    roller1.jpg
    sand_roller_top.jpg

Again, it's not meant to be seen in close up.

DUNE_Blog_Models_SandRoller.jpg
    80700.jpg80701.jpg80702.jpg
    still looks fancy.

Is it Atreides or general Arrakisian design?
    Hmmmm I am guessing it is just general Arrakisian LOL
    Looks a bit impractical to Me, but then I think most of the designs are!
    There are still two more to make - one of which is in the film and was made into a toy that was large enough to hold the DUNE action figures.
    All those thingies are impractical.
    But then again, we're talking about the year 10,000 here, not even Star Trek has gone that far....
    Right before the scene where the Baron and Feyd (carrying the cat/rat thing) go to talk to Thufir, there are 3 "transition" shots.

To Me the first one in particular seems like a real "nothing" shot - it does not add anything to the audiences knowledge of Geidi Prime.

Now recently I happened to have reason to look up the old Gregory Peck version of Moby Dick, and then someone sent Me a link on Facebook to a thing against Japanese whaling and I recalled that in the novel of Dune, the Harkonnens had returned to power through the adroit manipulation of the "whale fur" markets.
    In the novel, the whale fur business is concentrated on the Harkonnen colony planet of Lankiveil.

However, since Lankiveil is NOT in the movie version, I had the idea to expand the Harkonnen city environment with a shot that passes through/past the gruesome whale fur factory and ends with the existing shot of the hose washing the meat off the floor.
    If it doesn't end up working here, I may use it in the 2nd filmbook sequence I am developing.
    80925.jpg80926.jpg80927.jpg80928.jpg80929.jpg
    Yuck.
    Looks disgusting.
    Perfect for hte Harkonnen.
    Are that by any chance Atreides whales (Caladan is a water planet, so...)
    Here is a comparison of the original shot vs the new whale fur factory previs animation I have done...
    Here is the last of the four lo-res vehicles from DUNE that I have been working on.
    This is the 2nd one that is featured in the movie briefly zipping up a ramp into the spice harvester. The shot was apparently only included in the movie so they could have some marketable toys to sell.

DUNE_Blog_Models_SandScout.jpg

I made it by eyeballing it - I couldn't find the "plans" for it, so its definitely a bit "off".
    It's not quite finished - there are a few more details to add and of course texturing, but since you won't be seeing this one up close I'm not going to put in too much more time on it.
    81111.jpg
  • PagrinPagrin171 Posts: 0Member
    I did wonder why you would put a group unit as a scout, looking for something which attacks ground units. Thanks for that little tip bit.
    looks cute. :P

I like it.
  • JWWrightJWWright171 Posts: 0Member
    A bit off model, maybe, but spot on for awesomeness! I must have read this book over 10 times, and the sequels/prequels many times, too, I love Dune. Looking forward to the new movie. I'm listening to the audio book as I work.
    I did like the factory sequence, I wonder if it would be more interesting if those whales looked more alien, with maybe narwhal like horns?
    Hi Jeffery, I've been sketching a few whale designs... the model I used was just a stand in.
    Here's an example showing the whales in their natural environment on the planet of Lankiveil - not trying to go too bizarre as the audience has to be able to work out what it is in the few seconds its on screen.
    81134.jpg
    Awesome whales! Can't wait to see that scene rendered... what a task!
    Yeah.. it's going to be a tough scene to put together and do it justice.
    One step at a time though I guess...
    Threw together a quick 3D model and am trying to detail it up in z-brush... Still trying to get to grips with all the features in that program. Really need to spend some time with it but I find it frustrating and unintuitive. Can't seem to smooth out the nose of the beast or fix the chunky tail.

Harkonnen_Whale_Zbrush.jpg
    81175.jpg
    Well, I've managed to get the whale modeled in zbrush using uvmaps I made in Lightwave (So they aren't the automatic - made from billions of squares/triangles - ones made by zbrush)
    Click image for larger version Name:

ZbrushWhale.jpg

So then I generate the displacement map

DisplacementMap.jpg

And export the model as an .obj, then open it in Lightwave, turn on metanurbs and resave it as a Lightwave object

ModelImportedfromZbrush.jpg

Then in layout, I load the object and set up the zbrush displacement nodes and adjust the values so the object isn't exploding...

LW_ZbrushNode.jpg

and I get...

LW_CurrentResult.jpg

And I can't for the life of Me work out where I am going wrong!
    Any suggestions?
    81225.jpg81226.jpg81227.jpg81228.jpg81229.jpg