Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DThe Samson - Avatar

• NanoGatorNanoGator1 Posts: 0Member
    That's in the ballpark of what the sets looked like. The photos, I mean. I think the color schemes on the displays were a little more mono-chromatic, but they were intended to be sorta like OLED displays at 300+ dpi.
  • FreakFreak1088 Posts: 4,361Member
    Some very cool work with this and you done alot quickly.
  • liam887liam887322 SwedenPosts: 575Member
    Well decided to put some pressure doors in the cockpit it makes sense, I also noticed they are in the concept art book I just didnt look hard enough lol. However in the book they are basically just glass! I want something more sturdy so ive beefed them up a lot here are some shots of them open and closed:
  • cavebearcavebear179 Posts: 623Member
    liam887 wrote: »
    Thanks guess your still busy with your house then?
    Anyway did some work on the cockpit, I noticed both concept art pics had nearly completely clean consoles with no buttons at all only touch screens! Im pretty sure there are buttons in the film so I went with a 50/50 approach.

No but I am on a career course that is a couple of months long :o. Lots going on to the point I sent my wife to the Philippines for a holiday till middle of March. I just hope I will be able to finally get back into the 3d stuff ASAP after that :D
  • Dr LeeDr Lee2 Posts: 0Member
    Looking good mate....
    Started work on the landing skids, having the front of them curl up and go into the hull, also started wok on the two forward 'wings' where the rocket pods go and on the main rotors.
  • Jimi JamesJimi James0 Posts: 0Member
    Man, you're really knocking this baby out in a hurry. Well done.
    Well thats one of the reasons I still use Sketchup for models as well as Max is that ist super quick and easy. Ill do this all in SU apart form the cockpit shroud, ill have to do that in max.

Anyway got the chairs in the back. There are 12 passenger seats and then two more for the two door gunners.
    Very cool Work.

As for the cockpit pressuer doors, you see them in the film too. I agree you on beefing them up, less the ones in the film are bullet proof, they just won't hack the job.

BTW are those chairs in the cockpit ejectable? It look like you got the gas tanks for it.
    Well in the concept art book the chairs are basically ejector seats but I can't for the life of me work out where they come out there are no seams in the cockpit roof and the back two are underneath the engine intakes???

I thought maybe the tanks where some sort of reserve O2 supply incase the bulkhead door was ruptured or the cockpit was breached?
    Hmm, then the masks would be back up to that then. (Considing they need them to get into the craft, if it not in the hangger.
    Yeah thats what I thought anyway! Maybe its just there for backup who knows?
    Anyway my pilots will be wearing full pressure suits so the tanks can link straight into the suits.
    Anyway so far:
  • TerranCmdrTerranCmdr0 Posts: 0Member
    Wow, I'm really amazed at how fast this is coming together!
    Yep three days im pretty happy myself, did the whole engine block before then got the colour wheel of death on my MAC, lost it all so gave up, ill take a break for a few days now.
    You lost the whole thing or just the engine block?
    Either way that just suck's.
    Nah just the engine block still **** but whatever ill pick it up in a few days maybe
  • CASUAL OBSERVERCASUAL OBSERVER171 Posts: 0Member
    I have to admit, there's a few things about the Samson design I don't like. The first and most obvious thing is the placement of the door guns. I much prefer the type of arrangement found on the UH-60 Black Hawk/ Pave Hawk helicopters.

Also, I'd like to see additional incarnations of the Samson, similar to the Blackhawk family (which includes SAR, Cargo, Utility, Attack and SpecOps versions).
    Thats what im doing, im having a completely different nose section, sensors and cameras as well as an in flight refuelling boom. Going to re-design the doors and the tail section they are just placeholders for now. I might also have retractable wheels instead of skids?
    liam887 wrote: »
    Thats what im doing, im having a completely different nose section, sensors and cameras as well as an in flight refuelling boom. Going to re-design the doors and the tail section they are just placeholders for now. I might also have retractable wheels instead of skids?

Retractable wheels are great for speed, but the military definitely likes to keep things simple. Skids will always work- no matter what kind of battle damage there is.

You could also go with fixed wheels, like on the Black Hawk. They allow the craft to taxi easily on the ground and also act like giant shock absorber when landing.

Also, excuse my gripe about the Samson. It truly is a beautiful craft, but when I saw it on the big screen, the first thing I said was "what a horrible place for a door gun." Having the gin in the main cargo door like that just causes problems for the soldiers getting in or out at a hot LZ. Basically, the gun must by moved in order to allow rapid boarding. This deprives the soldiers of covering fire when it's most needed.

On a side note, I was looking at some pictures on the Internet, and realized the Samson is actually quite a bit bigger than a Blackhawk. It's not quiet as big as the '53, but about the same size as the AW101 Merlin and the NH90, from which the Samson obviously draws its lineage.
    Well ive moved the door gun for now, removed the skids and added wheels.
    I like it, except I have 2 thoughts-

Those sponsons are pretty big. I'd go with a landing gear with only 2 slightly larger wheels and minimize the size of the sponson.

That wing might not be in the best location if you want to put a lot of ordnance on it, but I'm not sure.

If you're going for realism, shoot Sorceress a PM. She's got a pretty darn good eye for this kind of thing.
  • NanoGatorNanoGator1 Posts: 0Member
    I wonder if you should rough in the rest of the hull first. From a design point of view, I think that'll affect the configuration of the landing wheels.
    The wheel housings are about right, they needed to be fairly wide so they could balance the load of the craft. I dont think the wing is in the best place but until I have made the rest of the ship I dont know where I can put it. As for ordnance they carry either one rocket pod or 4 AGM missiles nothing too heavy. I might do away with them altogether not sure yet.
    Yeah I am in the process of roughing it out ill post when its done. Have a few different ideas for wheel arrangements.
    I not sure on the wheels at the moment. It not sitting right with me.
    As for the wings, get ride of them, you don't need them. for it side it say troop carrier. for a gun ship it need to be smalller.
    I know the missiles are not needed but in the film and in the art books they have rocket pods on the little wings. Maybe ill loose them and have a door gunner only dont know yet?
    This craft is not for use on Pandora its probably going to be a Navy version. Anyway re-modelled the whole rear section didnt like that, and started blocking out the engines. I don tthink the wheels are too big its just the angle ive been showing it from here is a front view, Just not a fan of the skids myself.
  • cavebearcavebear179 Posts: 623Member
    I like the single "Black Hawk" style landing gear over the quad wheel gear. For the size of it you could go to a dual wheel gear like on the Sea King but the single looks great :thumb:

You are really getting some nice shapes out of SU now :thumb:. I've lost so much cause I haven't been able to do anything :( But once this course is over I should be able to get back up to speed.
    yeah I thought about dual but im keeping it single for now thanks.
  • omnipotentomnipotent658 SwedenPosts: 466Member
    looking very good liam! nicly done on getting the organic shapes out of SU ;)
  • BerkutBerkut1 Posts: 0Member
    very impressive stuff
    The front veiw not so bad.

I am sure the gun ships where smaller in the film with no passanger section. I'll have to rewatch it again. :)