Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DThe Samson - Avatar

liam887liam887322 SwedenPosts: 575Member
edited June 2011 in Work in Progress #1
After buying the 'Art of Avatar' over Christmas ive been holding off making anything yet. I think I need a break from my halo project so now is the time for some 3D practice.
Ive been looking through the art book and have decided to model the 'Samson' . This has the same sort of role as the huey/blackhawk, it looks similar to the gunships in the film but is much larger and has a small troop bay. Im modelling a 'Samson II' (this is a placeholder name until I think of another) as I want to add a few details that where not present on the movie version such as doors etc. Basically this will be a much heavier beefier version not sure of its exact role yet maybe pavelow/hawk? Started on this already but nothing worth posting yet maybe tomorrow. Had hoped to have something ready but haven't had time.
86472.jpg
Post edited by liam887 on
452.jpg 91.7K
Tagged:

• Dr LeeDr Lee2 Posts: 0Member
    Art of Avatar? Amazon?

Loved the ship designs in Avatar.... looking forward to this...
  • liam887liam887322 SwedenPosts: 575Member
    nah man in waterstones Aï¿¡20 lol
    Sweet, got a Waterstones in town, probably wheel in 2moro and get the book.
    I also got the art of star trek at the same time was reduced from Aï¿¡25 to Aï¿¡12.99 dont know if the offer is still on avatar might have come down also? check it out anyway its an amazing book, they both are!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]2 Posts: 3Member
    You should get the Halo encyclopedia, apparently it has every possible piece of info on Halo universe and pictures of it.
  • ElowanElowan0 Posts: 0Member
    Interesting
    You should get the Halo encyclopedia, apparently it has every possible piece of info on Halo universe and pictures of it.

yeah i looked at it but its a bit expensive for what it is! Plus ive read a lot of places that they have messed up the canonicity so I might as well just use halopedia for info, ive got the art of halo anyway I just buy them to get ideas really. Did some more on the samson ill post it in the morning.
  • madmattmadmatt0 Posts: 0Member
    Subscribed!!
  • FreakFreak1088 Posts: 4,361Member
    They stopped doing the deal. I was going to pick up both books, but alas it back to normal price. I think you can get both books cheapper on Amazon, you just have to wait longer to get them. ;)
    The HMV in covent garden has a huge section with loads of art books and usually find a lot of reduced ones. I picked up the art of terminator there. Next time you are there check it out.
    Anyway here is a WIP image at last. Cant remember exactly how some of the guns are but I know I got the tri barrel and trigger thing right fingers crossed. This is one of the main reasons im not copying the aircraft exactly but making a 'variant' lol.
    lol.... Looks good so far....
  • NanoGatorNanoGator1 Posts: 0Member
    Not bad. :)

You're gonna have fun when you get to the cockpit.
    Yeah Im looking forward to that the most in the art book there are two great pics of the interior, blocked it out before and tried to do the windows (failed miserably lol) think im going to have to draw out some orthographic views to get it right, going to do the cockpit first tho try and line everything up!

I cant believe the complete lack of reference material! If anybody knows where I can get some more pics let me know!!
  • mikalamikala176 Posts: 440Member
    I know what you mean about reference. You'd think something that took so much time and effort to make would have boatloads out there to put into a book. Yet the Avatar book was quite a disappointment.
    I dont just mean the book I meant the internet as a whole!
    Anyway started work on the cockpit:
  • cavebearcavebear179 Posts: 623Member
    Damn good Liam! Its been so long since I've been able to do anything it is really bugging me. Seeing how far you've come is amazing:thumb:
    Thanks guess your still busy with your house then?
    Anyway did some work on the cockpit, I noticed both concept art pics had nearly completely clean consoles with no buttons at all only touch screens! Im pretty sure there are buttons in the film so I went with a 50/50 approach.
  • deg3Ddeg3D0 Posts: 0Member
    Cool, dude, nice work, eh. :)

My only Q would be, do non-pilot seats need or have a stick slot in the seating platform?

deg
    I never got to see the Samson set, but I did see the Dragon and Scorp sets. They look like modern helicopters (or Space Shuttles, as the case of the Valkyrie) with the holographic glass added on like an upgrade. You'd almost think they brought in an actual helicopter cockpit and added a few things to it. So, yes, you made the right choice there. Can't go wrong with looking up actual flight interfaces.
    Nice job, btw. Althoough I do wonder if the buttons are a tad big?
    deg3D wrote: »
    Cool, dude, nice work, eh. :)

My only Q would be, do non-pilot seats need or have a stick slot in the seating platform?

deg

Thanks! Loved your Klingon ship was pretty good, got an eye on your shuttle also!

No from the art book there are no controls near the two back seats however I had an idea to have some MFD panels extend from the walls or ceiling to the two rear seats. They would be on some type of articulated arm, they would display general information, navigation, communication etc. Im going to have a sophisticated camera suite on the front and side of this craft so perhaps the two backseat drivers control the optics etc!
    Anyway no stick slot!
    NanoGator wrote: »
    Nice job, btw. Althoough I do wonder if the buttons are a tad big?

Im having the pilots wear some pretty bulky suits with gloves for this ship, just makes things easier for them I suppose If it still looks stupid later on then it will only take half an hour to fix up, thanks anyway.
    Just be careful, bigger buttons == smaller people. (Compositionally speaking, I mean. ;) )

Edit: Ignore me, I dont' think it matters in this case. Sorry, that's what I get while posting in between file loads.
    Haha its alright ill wait till ive got some pilots then check it out, hopefully when all the holo projections are lit up you wont even notice! As the rear bay is open I want the pilots in full pressure suits!
  • Jimi JamesJimi James0 Posts: 0Member
    That's pretty cool. I really like the functionality of the components, particularly that door mounted arm. I haven't seen Avatar, so I'm assuming that's like a door turret.
  • RAF-MXRAF-MX10 Posts: 0Member
    impressive start!!.....wow....!!
    NanoGator wrote: »
    Just be careful, bigger buttons == smaller people. (Compositionally speaking, I mean. ;) )

Edit: Ignore me, I dont' think it matters in this case. Sorry, that's what I get while posting in between file loads.

Yeah you where right did a second set of renders for the cockpit, the centre buttons are fine but the far right and left are still too big and cartoony looking. Going to re-design those bits:
    Yeah, we're seeing the same thing. You're doin a good job, btw. Things like button and window sizes get me in trouble at work, so I have a reflex to zero in on those things and comment on them. You can probably tell I annoy my coworkers. :D
  • CASUAL OBSERVERCASUAL OBSERVER171 Posts: 0Member
    Helo cockpits are advancing pretty damn fast. Even twenty years ago, the majority of cockpits were analogue readouts and controls.

Now, they look like like a space shuttle.
    mh47gCockpit.jpg

That's the cockpit of the new MH-47G Chinook. The primary readouts and controls are Multifunction Digital Displays. Although you will note the analogue gauges towards the center display are for redundancy.