Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DLEGO UCS X-Wing

TerranCmdrTerranCmdr0 Posts: 0Member
edited July 2010 in Work in Progress #1
Well, long story short, I got inspired by Dan's thread and went a little crazy with it. Here's a good two days' work, more to come most likely tomorrow. The funny thing is, going through and modeling these parts and subsequently finding them from my collection for reference has made me realize I probably have enough parts to make this myself.

xwingprogressive.jpg

xwing2.jpg
81222.jpg
Post edited by TerranCmdr on
Tagged:

• FreakFreak1088 Posts: 4,361Member
    That is looking pretty sweet. You can't go wrong with Lego. ;)
  • madmattmadmatt0 Posts: 0Member
    Good start man!! But let me know, is it an existing LEGO model or are you building it from scratch?
  • TerranCmdrTerranCmdr0 Posts: 0Member
    It's an existing one.

LEGO 7191-1: X-wing Fighter | Brickset: LEGO set guide and database

Downloaded the plans from that site.
    From the look of it, it looks like one of the early ones, from the late 90's early 00's.
    Correct, it was released in 2000.
  • JohnnyMuffintopJohnnyMuffintop173 Posts: 0Member
    Oh how I wish either the UCS one was cheaper or they actually made a more accurate one that still costs $40.
    Either way, loving the work so far!
    Thanks! Like I said above, this set actually uses very standard parts. I don't have the biggest collection by far and I've only come across maybe 3 parts that I don't have. If I wanted to build it myself, I could just make a small bricklink order.* So if you have a pretty sizeable collection, I would take a look at the plans and see what parts you need.

As a side note - going by brickset's listing on this set, looks like I'm about 27% done. :p

*Edit: On second thought, the canopy is $30-$60 on bricklink. :(
    You could always try the offical Lego site.
    Yes they can be expensive, but only on the derliver. IF you buy enough parts it can be cheap.
  • anystaranystar0 Posts: 0Member
    awesome! i almost did this same thing myself!

very nice work, cant wait to see more
  • PraizPraiz0 Posts: 0Member
    nice work there mate! i made a lego snowspeeder in 3ds max and believe me it ain't as easy at it looks. keep up the good work!

i do see that above the big middle red block there is a part with a small en big hole that doesn't seem right to me...
  • EBOLIIEBOLII204 Posts: 360Member
    That's different. Your doing a fantastic job. Will keep an eye out for next update
    Praiz wrote: »
    nice work there mate! i made a lego snowspeeder in 3ds max and believe me it ain't as easy at it looks. keep up the good work!

i do see that above the big middle red block there is a part with a small en big hole that doesn't seem right to me...

You're right, didn't think anyone would catch that. Guess I'll have to fix it. :p
  • Dr. JonesDr. Jones0 Posts: 0Member
    I wish legos were that cool when I was a kid.
  • NBTrekieNBTrekie331 Posts: 0Member
    Don't know where you've been living back then, Doc, but here they totaly were!
  • stonkystonky350 Posts: 489Member
    Star Wars + Lego (my two favorite things) = awesome :lol: And having done both, I know that they're both more difficult than then look. :)

Great start!
    Here I am with another update finally. Those Technic pieces are really tough to model!

This is the start of the rear portion. The blue Technic pieces sticking out is where the wings will attach.

xwing3.jpg

Edit: Stonky, thanks for your kind words! Do you have any suggestions for the plastic texture? I've been having trouble getting it to look like LEGO plastic.
    i'm curious, are you modeling the underside of your bricks too?
    Halfway. I'm putting the little buffers in order to line everything up correctly, but I'm not modeling the holes in the underside because it will take more time and create a bunch of unneeded polys.

xwing4.jpg
    nice, i modeled all my bricks as a learning exersize. so mine i modeled all the punch-tabs and all the techniq pieces were fully hollow as well, i tried using them to make the large SSD, and you're absolutely right about the enormously excessive poly-count...

your bricks look great though, cant wait to see more! :)
    TerranCmdr wrote: »
    Stonky, thanks for your kind words! Do you have any suggestions for the plastic texture? I've been having trouble getting it to look like LEGO plastic.

here's all the colors i picked and choosed from myself:
    BrickLink Color Guide
    LUGNET LEGO Color Reference
    Color Reference
    Peeron Color List
    Color List

its odd, most colors still needed tweaking to match the actual brick shades. (or maybe it was just my lighting)
    Thanks for the links! I just realized I forgot to hollow out the studs on my Technic beams. Back to work!

BTW, do you have any wip or finished shots of your LEGO models? I love seeing what other people do with LEGO in 3d.
  • lordofardalordofarda0 Posts: 0Member
    Here's the Lego thing I did. Was my first foray into 3D. I've been meaning to get back and redo it (especially the renders) for a long time now since I've learned a lot more since I've done it. I know it could use a lot of optimizing.

Yours is looking fantastic by the way.

http://www.scifi-meshes.com/forums/3d-wips/42747-1st-model.html
    ^ sweet Tie!!!

here's the thread with my own lego stuff
    http://www.scifi-meshes.com/forums/3d-wips/70562-lego-101-a.html

i'll take a couple renders of my brick palette's too, and post them up there later this afternoon. i'd be happy to share them. (but i could probable make better versions now that im better versed in modeling) haha
    Great stuff guys! I really like that TIE Advanced. Supreme work!

Just thought I'd share, in case you guys haven't seen it already:

Lego dimensions:A?the measurements

This has been very helpful to me during this whole process since I don't possess calipers. I do have all the physical LEGO pieces I have modeled so far though, so it's been easy to compare them.
    i used that same link to measure my bricks :)
    here's one i found for some of the technic stuff too
    The Brick Bakery: LEGO Dimensions.

i dont have any small guage calipers here either, i resorted to holdin bricks up to a ruler, haha
    Thanks! Very useful info.
    Good stuff! I only modelled the bottoms of the pieces that I was going to see, but I'm lazy like that. :) I also only built those pieces that were going to be seen on the fully assembled model.

As for getting the plastic to look like Lego plastic, I'll never stop tweaking mine, but I found that the trick (for me, anyway :) ) was to make sure that the edges were bevelled, that the Lego logo on the studs was there, and that the reflectivity and decay (IOR at around 1.4, maybe?) were set to something that I though was reasonable and looked kind of close to what I thought it should look like. Have a look at some of the renders in my Lego Galaxy Explorer thread and let me know what you think. :)
    ^ hey! i just picked up a usefull tip browsing through your thread Stonky!
    i really like the bevel you put on the base of your pegs where they meet the brick. i only put a bevel on the tops of my pegs, but the one you created really helps to mimic the look of those older bricks. i'm going to have to incorporate that the next time i get into a lego something or other.

i swear to god though, the first pic of your rendered minifig, the closeup in the cockpit, that is an incredible job you did on him, looks like a photoshop of a real one in your render!

i've been wanting to try another Lego endeavor myself, i've been thinking about doing a set from my own childhood. this was the last set i ever got as a kid (hell i was probably 13 or 14 when i got it, but i was still adicted to legos even at that age). i thnk i'll give a shot at this one when i get the chance
    5590-1.1167360626.thumb2.jpg5590-1.1122344953.thumb.jpg

ok, hijack over! :lol: on with the x-wing!!:flippy:
    77701.jpg77702.jpg
    You're too, too kind. :)

More X-Wing please!!! :D
    Hey guys, just thought I'd pop in and update anyone who is still interested. Been having a lot of life trouble lately, but it's getting sorted out so hopefully I can continue work on this beast soon.
    I'm back! With progress! Finally figured out the 24-tooth gear. Whew, that was hard to master! More Technic pieces to do, slow progress on those. :( Anyway, this project is definitely not dead!

xwing5.jpg