Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DL.A.P.D. Spinner

• [Deleted User][Deleted User]2 Posts: 3Member
    Very nice work one of favorite movies.
  • scifiericscifieric1122 Posts: 1,497Member
    This is an absolutely beautiful model!
  • BasajaunBasajaun183 Posts: 0Member
    Hi!

Thank you all for your support, I'm glad you like the way this is coming along. I'd like to apologize for the lack of updates in the last couple of weeks but I'm currently rigging the Spinner -I've started all over again from scratch- and I've been spending some time learning MAXScript to make some custom attributes as well as a UI to store them.
    RAF-MX wrote:
    Increible trabajo amigo !

A!Muchas gracias amigo! ;)
    Oh wow that model is beautiful ! I can't even imagine what will it look like with proper maps ! (I guess that only better :D)

Hopefully we'll be able to see that soon since the exterior is now fully unwrapped and I plan to start painting my textures on Photoshop shortly. I still need to think of a method to avoid the seams from being too obvious.
    Hi!

Ok, it's time for a new update. To begin with, I made the graphics of the spinner:

decals_sample.jpg

I used 3ds max to make them. They were then exported as vectors in order to tweak them in CorelDraw before I merged them into Photoshop. After that I started working on the surface of the car by adding some rust and dirt. It's a slow process because there's a lot of surface to cover and I don't want to go too far with the weathering, so I have to be careful. This is what I've done so far:

spinner_wip_194.jpg

spinner_wip_195.jpg

spinner_wip_196.jpg

There's still a lot of tweaking and refining to do, but it gives me an idea of where I'm going.

C&C are welcome :)

(BTW, there seems to be something odd going on. In the computer I use to do my 3D stuff those renders looked much more contrasty, while in this PC they look a bit washed-out.)
  • somacruz145somacruz1450 Posts: 0Member
    Yeah the textures seem a bit desaturated but overall it looks gorgeous ! :thumb: The textures are really nicely done and fit perfectly with the model. Now I just want to see the final model with those HDRI reflections :D
    That's beautiful work!
  • Pic-A-CardPic-A-Card0 Posts: 0Member
    That's looking great, dude. It'd be useful to see it in a scene with reflections so you can work out that aspect of the materials. Any chance you're going to try to replicate one of the shots? Layering all of the volumetric fog and light effects is a compositors dream.
  • cobywancobywan171 Posts: 0Member
    That is awesome.

I also found some new photos today. Here's the link;

Blade Runner 44 Inch HERO Spinner photos from Jean-Marc Deschamps
  • WizWiz28 Posts: 0Member
    She's a real beauty! :)
    Thank you for the link cobywan! :)
    Time for a new update.

I'm now runing 3ds max 2010 (I was using Max 7 'till now) in my new PC (i7-920, 12MB RAM), and I've started using Mental Ray instead of the default Scanline Rendere. Here's the result:

spinner_wip_202.jpg

spinner_wip_203.jpg

spinner_wip_204.jpg

spinner_wip_205.jpg
  • BarBar171 Posts: 0Member
    That's looking incredible!!!
  • somacruz145somacruz1450 Posts: 0Member
    Amazing shots ! :thumb: They're really close to photo quality :D It will be interesting to see how much better the model will get once you get the hang of all new max features.
  • deg3Ddeg3D0 Posts: 0Member
    Nice work! :)

Don't forget a lil' origami swan or unicorn... :D

deg
  • FreakFreak1088 Posts: 4,361Member
    Man That is looking great!!
  • Dr-TimelordDr-Timelord0 Posts: 0Member
    That is awesome! we never get to see enough blade runner stuff here on SciFi Meshes
    Terrific texture work!
  • cobywancobywan171 Posts: 0Member
    This is the best Spinner I've seen. Period.
    Thank you all for your nice comments! :)

Time for a new update. The exterior is almost finished and I will star texturing the interior shortly. I'd like to put a pilot inside so I will probably start modeling it as soon as I'm finished with the Spinner.

Here's the new set of pics, I hope you like them:

spinner_wip_206.jpg

spinner_wip_207.jpg

spinner_wip_208.jpg

spinner_wip_209.jpg

spinner_wip_210.jpg

spinner_wip_211.jpg

spinner_wip_212.jpg

spinner_wip_213.jpg

spinner_wip_214.jpg
  • anystaranystar0 Posts: 0Member
    its a beauty!
  • FreakFreak1088 Posts: 4,361Member
    Man this is looking great now that it finshed. Just need to make a scene for it now.
  • newmannewman0 Posts: 0Member
    Brilliant work. Wish there were more blade runner threads happening..
    Terrific texture work!
  • GlazyGlazy333 Posts: 0Member
    Super-de-duper !!!!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]2 Posts: 3Member
    Amazing work mate! It's look really good! Keep working on it!!!!
  • WizWiz28 Posts: 0Member
    Really nice work mate, looks like you are really getting to grips with MR :)
  • tobiasrichtertobiasrichter333 Posts: 0Member
    That is so BEAUTIFUL! What a great model and brilliant renderings! I love it...
  • TreyborTreybor0 Posts: 0Member
    I must say that this is an outstanding model. Your attention to the small details is amazing. I did two versions of the Spinner myself back in 2005 and 2007, but your version has much finer detail and texturing. Did you use the blueprints form Spinner Dokuhan?

Bravo!
    Thank you for your kind words Treybor!

I'm glad to see you over here. I know about your Spinner, in fact, one of the very first pics I got when looking for reference in Google was a render of your's. I read somewhere that you were working on some FX shots for a BR-based fan-film but that was some time ago. What happened to that project? are you still working on it?

As for the blueprints, I used the ones available on the net as well as a set of more accurate blueprints provided to me by cobywan. I don't know who the author of those is, but I believe it's cobywan himself.

Thank's again and I hope to see you on this boards more often :)

Update on the current status of the model: I've already started texturing the interior and I expect to post some renders by the end of the next week. I'm not having any major issues so far but the seats seem like they are going to be the most challenging part, I'll leave them for the end.
  • TreyborTreybor0 Posts: 0Member
    Basajaun wrote: »
    Thank you for your kind words Treybor!

I'm glad to see you over here. I know about your Spinner, in fact, one of the very first pics I got when looking for reference in Google was a render of your's. I read somewhere that you were working on some FX shots for a BR-based fan-film but that was some time ago. What happened to that project? are you still working on it?

The Blade Runner Chronicles died a tragic death about three years ago.
    You can still see some of thr development content on my site:
    http://www.seansgallery.com/pages/bladerun.htm
    Basajaun wrote: »
    As for the blueprints, I used the ones available on the net as well as a set of more accurate blueprints provided to me by cobywan. I don't know who the author of those is, but I believe it's cobywan himself.

Thank's again and I hope to see you on this boards more often :)

It's a possibility.