Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DBroadsword Class Mercenary Cruiser

ShonnerShonner359 Posts: 83Member
edited July 2021 in Work in Progress #1
p09jecflkr3j.png

A quick start using NURBS so far. Reference is from JTAS #8 and a lot of guesswork. :)

77500.jpg
Post edited by Shonner on
Tagged:

• ShonnerShonner359 Posts: 83Member
    Beware: the deckplans are wrong! They work out as 1200 tons.

I'm just eyeballing it using the old inked pictures from a score and 10 years ago.
  • cavebearcavebear179 Posts: 623Member
    Shonner wrote: »
    I'm just eyeballing it using the old inked pictures from a score and 10 years ago.

Really, that is the only way you can do it. But that lets you really make it individual. The ship was supposed to be in service over a very long period of time which would allow for many different variants to be built plus over all those years there would be mods done by owners all the time. :thumb:
  • Andrew BoultonAndrew Boulton0 Posts: 0Member
    Shonner wrote: »

That's what I did...and just after I finished I discovered the plans were wrong! Argh!

There are corrected ones here: Longsword subclass of Broadsword 800 dton Mercenary Cruiser
    Some updates: Been UV mapping and baking textures for modo to do draft renders of. Love the modo.

broadsword_wip_3.jpg

broadsword_wip_2.jpg

Still just trying out some ideas for modeling this cruiser.

To bevel, or not to bevel...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]2 Posts: 3Member
    Yay! Another Traveller ship. This is becoming a trend. It's looking good Shonner.
  • nyrathnyrath0 Posts: 0Member
    Very nice indeed! I always loved that merc cruiser
  • nyrathnyrath0 Posts: 0Member
    That's what I did...and just after I finished I discovered the plans were wrong! Argh!

There are corrected ones here: Longsword subclass of Broadsword 800 dton Mercenary Cruiser
    Thanks Andrew!
    A few years back I was trying to do some performance calculations on the Merc cruiser. Those incorrect blueprints drove me crazy.
    nyrath wrote: »
    Very nice indeed! I always loved that merc cruiser

Thank you. The Module Cutters should be easier to model I hope.
    dredington wrote: »
    Yay! Another Traveller ship. This is becoming a trend. It's looking good Shonner.

Thanks, Dredington. It's good to see Traveller people here.
  • admiralducksaucadmiralducksauc0 Posts: 0Member
    It's such a simple design but it works, and it looks really good with the lighting and textures you've got on there.
    The only problem I have with the class, is that in concept, it only has jump1 drive... Mercenaries, have to do business, so a jump 3 drive wouldn't be out of line.

As for your art, a good start.
    The CT version is J3, M3. MT dropped it to J1, M1. TNE upped that to J3, M2...
  • JennyJenny2 Posts: 0Member
    I'm a fan of the Traveller ships. I keep kicking around the idea of doing a super-detailed Empress Marava, but my skills just aren't up to it.
  • J.WildeJ.Wilde0 Posts: 0Member
    This is coming along nicely, Shonner!
  • StarshipStarship464 São Paulo - BrasilPosts: 1,976Member
    Very good!
    This ship makes me remember the one from TTA books and the Aeries from 2001 too. ;)
    Walkyrje wrote: »
    I'm a fan of the Traveller ships. I keep kicking around the idea of doing a super-detailed Empress Marava, but my skills just aren't up to it.

Give it a go (or try something simpler first) - you might surprise yourself.
    The CT version is J3, M3. MT dropped it to J1, M1. TNE upped that to J3, M2...

Thank you.
    Nick R. wrote: »
    The only problem I have with the class, is that in concept, it only has jump1 drive... Mercenaries, have to do business, so a jump 3 drive wouldn't be out of line.

As for your art, a good start.

Thanks. I looked last night at GURPS Traveller 2nd edition and its Broadsword is using Jump-3.
    Starship wrote: »
    Very good!
    This ship makes me remember the one from TTA books and the Aeries from 2001 too. ;)

I was thinking that too when I was doing lighting test renders of it. Once I install turrets and other stuff on it maybe it won't look so 2001-ish.

I decided I'll stick to Mr. Keith's drawings. I've seen the CG renders in the GURPS books and the hull detail just isn't there (too smooth) like the first drawing is in JTAS #8 which isn't done by Mr. Keith.

The books say the Broadsword is not streamlined. So I guess I'll make my version a little more crunchy looking and start modeling a lunar landscape for it to park on.
    Had some time to model the turrets.

broadsword_wip_4.jpg
  • tobiasrichtertobiasrichter333 Posts: 0Member
    Very nice! Never played Traveller myself, but I had the sourcebook back in the 80s. Very nice and simple designs.

Just a tip - if the turrets are supposed to be turning, actually model a hole in the base instead of just sticking them in.
    The turrets are a bit big, but otherwise fine.
    The turrets are a bit big, but otherwise fine.

Thanks. I thought maybe the camera lens was making them appear bigger than I made them. But no, I made them big because of my habit of exaggerating my models when first starting on them. I'm toning them down a bit right now.
    Testing some atmosphere lighting on the parked cruiser.

vue_broadsword_scene_1.jpg
    I know the location of the turrets is dictated by the deck plans, but I think seeing it in that configuration shows a weakness of their location... they can't depress far enough to provide cover all the way to the landing legs.
  • Darth ZiggyDarth Ziggy0 Posts: 0Member
    I designed one of these a few years ago and felt the same about the turrets. I put four more turrets on the roots of the legs. It gave the rear coverage that you would need.

Nice work, BTW! DZ:flippy:
    I think the cruiser can just spin around if it needs to shoot behind.
    In-flight, yes. But as a mercenary cruiser, it also doubles as a fire-base when grounded. Look at where the maximum depression of the turrets places your minimum fire... anyone who gets an attack vehicle inside that minimum range gets to run their attacks without interference from the ship's weapons.

But if you're happy with it, I'm happy with it.
    There's eight turrets all together. I haven't finished the four that go on the legs for use when it has landed. The turrets on top are not used at all when the ship is on the ground as far as I know.