Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DAzhanti High Lightning

ShonnerShonner359 Posts: 83Member
edited July 2021 in Work in Progress #1
My model of the Azhanti High Lightning from Traveller so far. The source used was the game's box lid. I still need to detail the refuel bays, jump drives, and model some Ramparts for this scene.

76420.jpg
Post edited by Shonner on
Tagged:

• somacruz145somacruz1450 Posts: 0Member
    Very nice model so far :thumb: does it already have some bump mapping on it ? Looks like it :D
  • ShonnerShonner359 Posts: 83Member
    It has procedural diffuse and highlight maps so far. I'm using the diffuse map as a bump also in modo.
  • cavebearcavebear179 Posts: 623Member
    Now this is a great New Years surprise :) This is only the second Azhanti High Lightning I've ever seen done. Love it!
    Thanks. I am rather surprised that there are not more models made of this ship.
  • Dann-ODann-O0 Posts: 0Member
    Probably one of the few traveller ships that don't look awful. Nice model.
    Thank Mongoose Publishing for getting me interested in Traveller again. Now I'm as hyped about the game as I was back in '81. Here is my early modeling start on the Ramparts for the scene.

fighter_wip_1.jpg
  • Andrew BoultonAndrew Boulton0 Posts: 0Member
    Closer to the box pic than mine!

Be nice to see your fiished Rampart - I'm not happy with mine.
    Andrew,

I'm finding the Rampart much more difficult to model than the AHL which was just block modeling. I tried using SubD at first, but decided on using the NURBS boolean cutting with chamfering method because of the needed curves and tight angles.
  • tonygardnertonygardner339 Posts: 15Member
    Oooh, nice job on the 'Lightning, I've got to admit she's been on my must do list for quite some time.
    Oh, no. I completely forgot about the Boat Dock Deck (Deck #84) for the rear of the AHL. I made massive engines and didn't leave any room for ships to dock back there.
    The rear of the Azhanti High Lightning so far. Still experimenting on shapes and features.

ahl_wip_4.jpg
  • J.WildeJ.Wilde0 Posts: 0Member
    All it needs is a big Imperial sunburst and it's good to go. (I hope your AHL fares better than Andrew's did. Meson Guns hurt...)
    Shonner,

The back end really leaves a lot of room for creativity. There has never really been any drawings from behind to the best of my knowledge.

I have to say that I am not a fan of the panel texture though :o I just think that a ship this big really needs a lot more in the detail department :D......glad it isn't me having to do it right now:lol:

Any way, I do love this ship and your version of it is now the best I have seen. Sorry about that Andrew :flippy::lol:
    cavebear wrote: »
    I have to say that I am not a fan of the panel texture though :o I just think that a ship this big really needs a lot more in the detail department :D......glad it isn't me having to do it right now:lol:

This model will be rendered mostly at medium to long distance from the camera. That's why I've given it minimal detail. But I've been spending more time adding too much detail to the Ramparts when they are just going to be dots in the frame. So I should stop it. I have a starport to model also.
    I rarely put much work into the back unless I know it's going to be seen.
    Any way, I do love this ship and your version of it is now the best I have seen. Sorry about that Andrew :flippy::lol:

He'd better not do a Beowulf next...

The science lab/station or Broadsword are next.
    Shonner wrote: »
    The science lab/station or Broadsword are next.

Sweet :D
  • Joe BrownJoe Brown171 Posts: 0Member
    A Broadsword? The Happy Fun Ball for mercs! That would be way cool - making a sphere look like a fighting ship is not easy!

I did a physical model of the Rampart for an early (1998) Starship Modeler on-line contest; getting the curves done just right is hard!
    Starship Modeler: Starfigter Contest Entry
    Joe Brown wrote: »
    I did a physical model of the Rampart for an early (1998) Starship Modeler on-line contest; getting the curves done just right is hard!

It's hard doing it in polygons, too! :) That's why I ended up using NURBS to model my Rampart.

I'm not sure if seeing this view of the ship from your windshield is a good or bad thing.

The fuel purification plants are still vacant holes to be filled. And the bottom hasn't been modeled yet. This is a test render of the patch paneling used as a texture.

ahl_wip_5.jpg
    Here are my Broadswords in action: YouTube - Traveller - Striker

Beware: the deckplans are wrong! They work out as 1200 tons.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]2 Posts: 3Member
    It's a bit stylized so it may not be of much use as a reference, but here's the best pic I could find of the box art of the Japanese edition of AHL:
    Traveller :: AHL Japanese art picture by emperorkalan - Photobucket
    Here are my Broadswords in action: YouTube - Traveller - Striker

Beware: the deckplans are wrong! They work out as 1200 tons.

Looks like they have disabled the audio due to copyright.:(
    Looks like they have disabled the audio due to copyright.:(

Yeah. You can download it here instead: http://www.traveller3d.com/tmm/striker7s.avi
    I posted a video on YouTube, showing an update of the model in modo 501 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGIooVKS2T8
    My first animation test shot so far, using the Azhanti High Lightning. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n25RcjsZXEw
    An update to the ship.

blogger_dice_with_books_and_ahl_2_post.png

I did. And it doesn't have a back end. Ha!