Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DRe-Imagined Eagle Transporter

• stephan_skastephan_ska171 Posts: 0Member
    Agree !
    This tiny little ship is totally amazing !!!! I love the detail of "realism" that's put into it.
    Jeffery, you're "the man", cant wait to see it finished .

Very good work.
    Cheers, Stephan
  • JWWrightJWWright171 Posts: 0Member
    Thanks guys, I appreciate the feedback and encouragement! I'm definitely looking to a helicopter type approach to the cockpit, in the original series, the pilots didnt have much eyeball visibility, which could be handled by computers but was more for purposes of production costs, having a very visible cockpit with pilot armatures to animate would have cost way more than just chroma-keying a few seconds of live footage into the small, forward facing windows:

spbs026.jpg

I should have an update today, more detail on the TM.
    Roughing it out, I may not spend much more time inside this one, interiors really bog down progress... this is probably enough to begin with, I'll worry about the minutia later.
    76646.jpg76647.jpg76648.jpg76649.jpg76650.jpg
  • SchimpfySchimpfy396 Posts: 1,632Member
    Great work so far. :) I've been enjoying watching this develop.
    A coupla progress beauty shots...
    76651.jpg76652.jpg76653.jpg76654.jpg
    Dunno about this version, just playing with shapes...
    76656.jpg76657.jpg76658.jpg76659.jpg76660.jpg
  • BuckaroohawkBuckaroohawk2 Posts: 0Member
    JWWright wrote: »
    Dunno about this version, just playing with shapes...

They work for me. They follow the shape established from the cockpit through the main body, yet they still look appropriately "old school." I think you hit it on the first swing.
  • Spock27Spock270 Posts: 0Member
    I really like the design and how it logically flows from one aspect to the next. Very well done and thought out.
  • PagrinPagrin171 Posts: 0Member
    I think the main thruster could work, but it need to have some more details, like piping and so on added to stop it looking so BSG to my eyes.
    But otherwise it's all looking great.
    Thanks for the feedback, guys!

The great thing about modular is, this bird can have a variety of engine blocks to choose from.

I've got another config I'll post later.
    I might pursue this design a little further... next I'll add some reactant pressure tanks, conduit and support framework.
    76685.jpg76686.jpg76687.jpg76688.jpg76689.jpg
    121.jpg 103.4K
    122.jpg 330.6K
    123.jpg 259.9K
    124.jpg 234.5K
    125.jpg 42.1K
    And some bulkhead framing...
    76702.jpg76703.jpg76704.jpg76705.jpg76706.jpg
    This model is going to be astonishing once it's finished and material mapped. I'm impatient to see it done, but I don't want you to rush the process because what you've got here is golden!
    Hmmm Yes I like this engine config mush better. It has the feel if the original in the same way the rest of the eagle has the right feel about it.

I had a thought about this project at work today. Once you have the design stage finished it might be interesting to see your eagle carrying an original TM which was looking very old and worn. Sort of showing that the fleet has been updated but that some old hardware was still in use here and there.
  • unusualsuspexunusualsuspex331 Norfolk UKPosts: 0Member
    :lol: Its this kind of excellent work that might persuade me to watch a reboot!

Well done JW!:thumb:
  • juanxerjuanxer331 Posts: 0Member
    Well, this is kind of reboot-ish :): Fan Reboot "Space 2099" Is The Best Way To Watch "Space 1999"

The website: Space 2099
    Thats very interesting, though I still think the miniature effects of Space:1999 still hold up. Those models were well designed and thought out, Johnson & Bower were top shelf.

Interesting that they're using blender, I had always meant to learn that program, since it's free, but out of the box I couldnt get the hang of it, unlike C4D and Max, where I could at least get pretty far along without having to hit the tutorials...

I might try it again, my nephews have been expressing interest in learning 3D, and blender might be a good way to separate the wheat from the chaff!

More updates on this Eagle coming soon, thanks guys!
  • kippakippa0 Posts: 0Member
    Great updates, I like your re envisioning of the eagle. Look forward to more updates.
    Another update, messing around with the manifold for the main thruster block...
    76768.jpg76769.jpg76770.jpg76771.jpg76772.jpg
  • Spock27Spock270 Posts: 0Member
    Cool!
    I like it! The thrusters are really taking on a heavy powerful look. Also the config of the smaller tanks etc helps lend that touch of the original design still being there.
    Great work.
    Yeah, I want to keep the signature elements of the original, but with a different take... still sweating over the main thruster quads here.
    76815.jpg76816.jpg76817.jpg76818.jpg76819.jpg
    I like that the left and right thrusters are a different shape than the top and bottom ones. It's an interesting visual cue that, if this were a "real" ship, the shape of the thrusters was considered when it was constructed. It's almost as if the designers had thought that four identical thrusters might provide too much power, or throw the ship off of it's line of flight or something. I'm babbling but I hope my meaning is getting through.

In a nutshell, I think it looks cool!
    Thanks man, I thought the cluster would look cool if they vectored off in slightly opposite directions, too, so maybe collectively they form a larger single thruster bell than if they were all one size, pointed aft... but whatever, as long as it looks cool!

Okay, update!
    76827.jpg76828.jpg76829.jpg76830.jpg76831.jpg
  • SchimpfySchimpfy396 Posts: 1,632Member
    I just realized how cool the landing legs and those pods they're attached to are. The linkage looks great.
  • Judge DeathJudge Death0 Posts: 0Member
    Sanderlee wrote: »
    Think about all the Ribbed vs. Plated arguments we had back when BSG 2.0 came out. The new Galactica was QUITE surprising compared with the original. Esp. the way the guns operated (shells??!?) and then the pods opening and closing.

They took an icon and, in my opinion, made her better.

I see your Eagle the same way. I love the new head, even if it does lack the foot-well windows (which never made sense, since they're not in the cockpit shots anyway).

Keep it up, I'm quite interested in this one!

:thumb:

Yeah, the new galactica used projectile weapons propelled by plasma. The shells were loaded in and a cylinder of liquid with a coiled wire running through the middle was put in behind them.

A massive megawatt surge of power was ran through the coil, instantly vaporizing it into superheated plasma. The liquid was instantly superheated into secondary plasma which expanded and pushed the shells out at hyper velocity. That's why they had the massive fire blasts as the guns fired, it was the superhot plasma, which also explains why the guns recoiled so badly.

Also, using shells had some advantages as they could use different rounds for different work. In the premier, you can see the shells heading for the base stars shattering into fragments meant to kill swarms of raiders, those were timed frag shells that were meant to scatter small projectiles into concentrations of fighters.

Other shells were solid and meant to be used against large targets, like base stars.

People making BSG anims might want to use a variety of shells in the ship's guns,like frag rounds, EMP micronukes or others.
  • monsoontidemonsoontide0 Posts: 0Member
    Awesome work!
    Used to love space 1999!
    Had the really cool Eagle die-cast toy too... though it was the one with the damn red cargo thingy (Secretly always wanted the one with the passenger section! LOL)
    Thanks for the comments guys, heres a quick update, RCS/pod fuel cells.
    76887.jpg76888.jpg76889.jpg76890.jpg76891.jpg
    Lotsa surfaces on this, I dont wanna over-do it... but it's tempting to blow the whole bag of tricks on this one element.
    76924.jpg76925.jpg76926.jpg76927.jpg76928.jpg
    Ladders so maintenance workers can get to parts on top of the pods. Brilliant!! I absolutely love little details like that. I try to work them into my designs as well whenever I can.

I mentioned a while back that I'd love to have a copy of this model when it's finished. I still do, but more than that I want a REAL ONE! I don't know where I'd park it, but owning one would be so damn cool! The details you're coming up with make really building one of these things seem so plausible. Why don't we have a fleet of these things yet? NASA had better get on the stick. The future of spaceflight is right here!