Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DClaptrap: Borderlands

[Deleted User][Deleted User]332 Posts: 0
edited February 2011 in Work in Progress #1
Getting back into modeling and I needed an excuse to get familiar with the new Blender 2.5 interface, so I thought I would model the silly robot from the Borderlands game.

For reference I am using a couple of pics I pulled from Google and also by going into the game and getting a decent look at the character.

These first pics are just my crude blocking out of the features/parts of the model.
Post edited by [Deleted User] on
Tagged:

• SolCommandSolCommand172 Posts: 0Member
    Hehe cool robot :) You're on a good start man
  • Just splitting up my initial post...

I have been working on this for a few days and have been sitting on these lazy AO renders.

I am taking liberty with the details of the model as the only references I have are of the low poly version.
  • sojournersojourner0 Posts: 0Member
    Nice. So, how stable is the Alpha of 2.5? Are most of the features functional? Is it anymore intuitive to learn?
  • 2.5 seems stable, haven't had crash/lockup, or any error messages yet. I think it is much more intuitive of an interface. I'm liking it. I'm still trying to find the functions that haven't been implemented yet, but for the most part it seems a solid release at this point. The rendering is faster in 2.5, but I am getting better results from 2.49. I rendered these with no lights, only Ambient Occlusion with same settings in both versions of Blender and there is a noticeable difference.
  • Jimi JamesJimi James0 Posts: 0Member
    I expect to see some dancing at some point. :D

Nice work. I'll be interested to see how you tackle the arms.
  • L2KL2K0 Posts: 0Member
    :) funny little thingie :)
  • Thx for the comments.

Got the underarm panel done and going to get the top of the head? started then to the wheel and struts.

I'm saving the arms for last because they will take a little more work to make them functional.

And I will see about making him dance with my meager animation ability:D "Look at me! I'm dancin', I'm dancin'!"
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]2 Posts: 3Member
    It's spot on so far.

Just clocked borderlands for the second time ;)

They do remind me of grr from invader zim.
  • Kind of a lame update, but got a back panel done and started on the shoulder flap thing.
  • started on the top vent thing and added some detail to the chassis....
  • SyklonSyklon0 Posts: 0Member
    Looking good! Love this guy.
  • Added wheel and antennae...now have to design a mechanism for the hip/strut setup. Gonna get to scribbling something up now.

I still need to work on the vent thing on top of his head. i don't like what I've got at this point.
  • somacruz145somacruz1450 Posts: 0Member
    Looks really cool :thumb: Will you be texturing it in the cel-shaded way like it is in the game ?
  • I'd like to cel shade it and give it that comic book look, I've never tried it, so I'll probably try something out to that effect. I am going to try some photo-real-ish textures as well. I'm a texturing noob, so whatever I come up with will all be a good bit of learning.
  • Ice-DragonIce-Dragon0 Posts: 0Member
    It's really great to see you building this cool little fella Great work :thumb:
  • Thx for the comments.

Came up with a suspension mechanism. I just designed something that looked to me like it would work.

and now for some superfluous renders....:D
  • somacruz145somacruz1450 Posts: 0Member
    Looks great to me :thumb: Good luck with texturing too !
  • Changed the top vent and detailed the eye lens. I still need to finish some bits on the flap that hangs down over the shoulder joint (not rendered here) and then it's on to the arms...
  • Gots da arms started. Tricky little monkey. I need to do the shoulder and elbow joints yet. Going to do a little detail on the inner 'palm' of the pincers and run the couple of tubes/wires needed down the arm to the claw. The tricky part about this is that I want to model it so all the requisite parts that should move will be able to do so...<uber sigh>
  • StarshipStarship464 São Paulo - BrasilPosts: 1,976Member
    I donA’t know why, but it makes me remember storyboardds from 70A’s, something from Disney... Do you know Squalidus and Gyro Gearloose?:lol:
    Seriouslly, the modelling is very well done. Keep doing the good work. :)
  • Starship wrote: »
    Do you know Squalidus and Gyro Gearloose?

lol...yeah, i (vaguely) remember gearloose from comics I had as a kid.

Here is a lame update on the arm...a couple of wires and designing an elbow because I cant find a good ref pic. Still working on the inside of the claw, that's why the piece in there is offset.
  • Ugh! Finally got the elbow joint done. Not being a mechanical engineer, it took me some time to find an appropriate pivot point to fully articulate the arm. :D I guess that's what I get for pursuing a lit. degree. <sigh> now for the shoulder joint.
    Nice work on the arm so far.
  • Sukhoi_FlagonSukhoi_Flagon0 Posts: 0Member
    hehe, nice little bot, prehaps once your done you could try doing some little variants on the claptrap (such as replacing the arms with engineering tools, or pehaps a battle/surgical variant!)
  • hehe, nice little bot, prehaps once your done you could try doing some little variants on the claptrap (such as replacing the arms with engineering tools, or pehaps a battle/surgical variant!)

Thanks. Making variants is a good idea, but I am so over working on this thing. lol Finally got the modeling done and now have to do some crude rigging, then to texture it. Once I get it rigged, I'm going to post it (to Pasteall.org) for download.

Here is a couple of renders of the final bit of modeling.
  • Been a bit since last update. Mass Effect 2 ate up some time :lol: Remodeled the shoulder flap thing and got a rig done for the arm...for a first rig, it works pretty good. Just got a rig for the body sketched out (on paper). Have to see how it works, if at all, when I apply it to the model.
  • "I finished the modeling!" he said, three years later. Anyway, I've got a basic rig for posing done. A rig suitable for animation will have to wait. I don't know what I'm doing as it is, plus I want to start to texture this thing. I'll post the model in the downloads section.
  • SyklonSyklon0 Posts: 0Member
    Looks good! Nice work.
    The arms turned out really well. Nice work all around. I look forward to seeing it with some textures.
  • Thanks guys. Now let's see if I can get some color on this guy in a timely manner. Now where did I put that book on texturing? hmmm.....