Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DYAM -(Yet Another Mech)

Mach CritMach Crit0 Posts: 0Member
edited April 2011 in Work in Progress #1
OK, I got bored on the rocket for now so I started up a project I wanted to work on during the Christmas break anyhow. Still practicing my Sub-division and working from a physical model.

I'm not gonna say what it is yet, see if anyone can figure it out (If they can't then that tells me something too) but it is from Mech Warrior.

Anyhoo, on to the pic.

Attachment not found.

Mach :thumb:
86416.jpg
Post edited by Mach Crit on
Tagged:

• WizWiz28 Posts: 0Member
    Looks like a nice little start there matey, also looks like this thing is going to be one big machine :)
  • L2KL2K0 Posts: 0Member
    i like it very much ;)
  • HerrohkittehHerrohkitteh0 Posts: 0Member
    Interesting start. Hope you continue this level of detail throughout the model. You don't see screws modeled into a subd mesh too often, at least not without some severe smoothing errors.
  • SanderleeSanderlee1 Posts: 0Member
    From the ankle joint it's clearly one of the Chicken-Walkers. Not sure which one, tho ... it IS just a foot, after all.

Nice so far, tho!!

:thumb:
  • Mach CritMach Crit0 Posts: 0Member
    Thanks, gang.

Here is the full leg (the piston in the back is just blocked in and so is the upper thigh.
    76138.jpg
  • somacruz145somacruz1450 Posts: 0Member
    Looking cool so far ! :thumb: I don't know anything from Mech Warrior so I can't even guess :p
    nice, just tryin to get a better idea of the scale as that will help a great deal in the feedback, so what are we looking at?

:)
    Well, that is the full leg up to the hip joint of a heavy mech (60-75 tons) and I don't know the exact height cuz there are never any consistent measurements (length, width, height) on any of the mechs I have seen in the battletech canon.
    Ok, cool, well looking forward to seeing this progress :)
    OK, last pic of the day. I'm detailing the upper leg and some basic smoothing on the piston. Also put in the back toe.
    76148.jpg
  • MephMeph331 Posts: 0Member
    That's a nice chicken leg indeed! :D
    Thanx, Meph.

Here's a few more details. Leg's almost done.
    76204.jpg76205.jpg
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]2 Posts: 3Member
    So far it's looking good, then again I'm only judging by a leg. Can't wait to see the end result!
  • salsasalsa171 Posts: 0Member
    Duuuuude. sweet chicken leg :D
    saibot216 wrote: »
    So far it's looking good, then again I'm only judging by a leg. Can't wait to see the end result!

You can tell alot by looking at a leg.

Thanks for the comments, guys. More soon.
    The full lower torso. Gots to put in the front details, however. Also need a few more things on the rear of the hips.
    76238.jpg76239.jpg
  • PipPip171 Posts: 0Member
    Nice legs. :lol: (And detailing)

Although I still can't tell which mech it is, despite having played MechWarrior2+Expansion, 2:Mercs, 3 (which is my favorite) and 4+Black Knight. Oh, and I used to watch that battletech cartoon which used CG for the "enhanched imaging"!
    Is it from one of the actual games, or the battletech universe in general?
  • SanderleeSanderlee1 Posts: 0Member
    Still not sure which one it is either.

A question tho (form vs. function issue).
    The lower-leg and foot assembly seems awful large for them to be that close to one another. Of course, in forward locomotion, the mech's legs won't interfere with one another. BUT, so close together they're going to interfere with maneuverability. There's just not enough room between the feet to pivot on the ankle-joint much.

Might'n it be better to spread the legs out, just a touch?

Unless, of course, they're that close in the original design.

:thumb:
    THanks, Pip. It's actually a WizKids mech from the DOA campaign.

@Sanderlee - thanks, seems we posted simultaneously. I'm just modelling from the actual mech figure I have in my hands at the moment. This is pretty close to the real thing (I'm just adding details like plates, grills, ports, and whatnot).
    OK, I got impatient so I blocked in the rest of the mech. That upper torso is gonna be difficult. Oh, and here's a pic of the miniature.
    76257.jpg76258.jpg76259.jpg
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]2 Posts: 3Member
    kick arse :)
    Ahh that explains why I've never seen it.
    Anyway, looks pretty accurate to me - although it is hard to tell from the pose of that miniature.
    Thanks.

2 final shots for the day.
    76305.jpg76306.jpg
    Adding some more details. I know the mech has only 2 gauss and 4 Medium lasers but I swear the model has that small cannon under the nose.

Now I gotta detail the main torso and the cockpit.

76358.jpg76359.jpg
  • MephMeph331 Posts: 0Member
    Good lord, that's some nice progress indeed!
  • L2KL2K0 Posts: 0Member
    thats a mean robot !
    Thanks for the comments.

OK, I'm back and working on the cockpit. Most of the major stuff is down so I have to figure out how to detail the upper torso now.
    76581.jpg
    Okay, this is the first time on a mech, that I'm not quite sure which part is the cockpit - the intruded "H" or the thing under it. :confused: :shiner:
    I'm gonna go with "yes". Truth is, the models and references I have show 2 "glass" sections. One has a hatch of sorts and the top one appears to be recessed into the nose.

It's kinda hard to say. In fact, it may be that the cockpit opens up from the top (hinges up and down from the bottom, so I may have to revisit the entire nose. Not sure, but for now, I'm doin it this way. All the references I have are of things about 2" to 3" tall. :)

• BerkutBerkut1 Posts: 0Member
    awesome looking mech you got there. Looks like a walking tank, heh. Very good job on the modelling looks very smooth