Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

Local TutorialSeamless textures tutorial part 2 - Metal Paneling

RamielRamiel5 Posts: 0Member
edited January 2015 in Tutorials #1
Welcome to the second part of the seamless textures tutorial: Metal paneling

In this second tutorial, you'll se how you can realize some BASIC and GENERAL metal

paneling...

Let's start!

First of all open a new file (I'm working with a 600x600 canvas)
14wbynt.jpg
Now choose a base color
14wc28k.jpg
I think you'll find useful some grid lines (just click and drag these lines from the rulers at the border of your window, to show those rulers click "Ctrl+R" )
14wc2kl.jpg
Now using the grid lines as reference, use the square selection to "draw" the first layer of your panels... (you can aways draw INSIDE the canvas and then use the filer "Offset", if you want to know how it works, just check my previous tut)
14wc4e1.jpg
Fill these selection with another colour (or the same) and repeat this operation again until you are happy with the level of detail. In this case I've used a lighter color for the "panels" and I've set the Layer style on "Soft Light" and this is the result...
14wc4sp.jpg
Now copy the base color, and the panel layers and merge these layers together and apply the "Emboss" filter (under Filter > Stylize > Emboss), now you should have something like this:
14wc55e.jpg
Now copy again your panel layers and work on the first one...
14wc5mw.jpg
Open the "Layer Style" window (double-click the layer tab)
14wc5z5.jpg
And set the "Fill Opacity" to 0%
14wc7jq.jpg
Now go to "Outer Glow" and use the following settings (or what you think will work for you)
14wc94g.jpg
Now repeat the process on the other layer of panels and you should have something like this:
14wcayp.jpg
With this layer we are doing some dirt/rust for our panels...

Now create a new layer under the "rust" levels, hide ALL the other layers (uncheck the little eye in the layers tab) and then megrge the visible layers (Ctrl+Shift+E) and set the

resulting layer on "Multiply". Now un-hide the other layers and you'll see this:
14wcbdk.jpg
Now we'll add some "texture" and realism to our project.
Search the web for a dirt metal image (or make your own).
I've found this image...
14wcbv5.jpg
The image is 600x450 pixel, I've used the "Offset" filter again...
14wcdv4.jpg
After a little work with the "healing" tool I've made a seamless texture from that image, now, go to "Edit" > "Define Pattern" and click "Ok"
14wd3xd.jpg
Now if you go to the "Layer Style" window, under the "Pattern Overlay" option, you should find a brand new pattern for you!
14wdcp1.jpg
Create a new layer and apply this pattern, then create a new layer UNDER the last one and merge these two layers.
14wddgi.jpg
Now copy this layer and cut the contour of the panels (Ctrl+click the layer tab of your panels, one at time... Ctrl+click on the panel layer #1 > select the metal layer > Del > repeat the operatin for the panel layer #2) and you should have this:
14wdpbo.jpg
Now if you un-hide the other layers you should see this image:
14wdqm9.jpg
Set this metal layer to "Soft Light" with Opacity at 40%...
14wdqqg.jpg
Set the "uncut" metal layer to "Soft Light" at 100% opacity...
14wdseb.jpg
And the "rust" layer to "Multiply" at 100%
14wdsls.jpg
And this should be the result
14wdt76.jpg
Ok, that's all for our basic panelling, but you can play around with the settings or whatever you want, and you can add bolts...
14wdu2d.jpg
14weeya.jpg
Or maybe with some dirt/corrosion...
14wefec.jpg
14weft3.jpg
Or all these things...:shiner:
14wehk8.jpg
I hope you find this tut useful for your projects.
See you next time for the next tut!:thumb:
Post edited by Ramiel on
Tagged:

• JedilawJedilaw0 Posts: 0Member
    Very nice tutorial, Ramiel!
  • RamielRamiel5 Posts: 0Member
    Thanks, I know it takes a while to load...:shiner:
    I'm working on something new (while I'm working on the first "Ramiel's sci-fi texture pack Vol.1":D )

-EDIT-
    I've forgot a passage...
    You should set the "emboss" image on "Overlay" so you should have a small, fake "bump" of the panels...
    Sorry:shiner:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]2 Posts: 3Member
    Terrific tutorial! Very useful.
  • chronochrono0 Posts: 1Member
    Nice tut for Adobe users.

Not really for older Jasc PSP users though because by just the emboss step they'll have already done somewhere around 15-50 extra steps. With not even much 'real' work does as of yet.

So you probably should put in your title name ".... for Adobe"
  • JedilawJedilaw0 Posts: 0Member
    Well, given the relative lack of Photoshop users, I guess the distinction needed to be made in advance. :rolleyes:
  • SarrajSarraj0 Posts: 0Member
    :eek: I might actually be able to make textures! Wooot happy day! :lol: Thanks for the tutorial :)
  • BrickheadBrickhead176 Posts: 0Member
    Fantastic tutorial, thank you very much.
    Well, I know only Photoshop and Illustrator (you should know this:shiner: ) so, if someone wants to convert this tut for any other application, is more than welcome;)
  • Enterprise-EEnterprise-E0 Posts: 0Member
    This is the sort of tutorial i've been waiting for. Very nice Ramiel!
  • chronochrono0 Posts: 1Member
    Jedilaw wrote:
    Well, given the relative lack of Photoshop users, I guess the distinction needed to be made in advance. :rolleyes:
    Don't be immature!

Of course it needs to be made, because it's a program specific tutorial. It's only common sense. Especially with the number of diverse 2d packages out there.
  • efritschefritsch0 Posts: 0Member
    The only addition I can suggest is to show the photoshop screens as well as the results. I am having a hard time following this.
    I've post the screens...:confused:
    I've post all the 'windows' needed for this tut, do you need help on a specific part of this tut?
    Let me know, so I can help you:thumb:
  • KadaeuxKadaeux0 Posts: 0Member
    Lovely tut Ramiel, it just may save me life!!!!

And yes, very very nice avatar.
    Thanks!
    And, thanks!:D
  • SandmanNinjaSandmanNinja0 Posts: 0Member
    Fantastic!!

Thank You!!

-SandmanNinja
  • SandmanNinjaSandmanNinja0 Posts: 0Member
    I've converted this tutorial into a stand-alone PDF that can be easily saved.
    Is there a way I should present it?

Just a noob trying to help...

-SandmanNinja
    You could ask a Moderator or an Admin for this stuff (or you can simply post it here, or a link).
    BTW
    Help appreciated:shiner:
  • TveakkTveakk0 Posts: 0Member
    Wow, hehe this web-site is becoming very popular with these amazing tutorials:d good job Very good tuturial just wat i was trying to get for the past month :D thx
    Nice tutorial!

Before I graduated last month I took advantage of my student discount to buy the Adobe Video Bundle which includes Photoshop CS2, but I haven't had the courage to dive into it yet... over the past four years I've gotten very used to Paint Shop Pro and all of its little quirks (and, admittedly, limitations). Your tutorial is just the ticket for me getting my feet wet with CS2... thanks! :thumb:
    Whoa, I'm useful!:shiner:
    Thank you for this comment.;)
  • mental|platemental|plate333 Posts: 0Member
    You are most useful to us just keep going with this tutorials, i learned more from them then in the last mounth traying to learn photoshop on my own...
    so dont stop dude!
    Egad, this tutorial is so unbelievably helpful that I'm going to try it out straight away! I was going to go to bed, but if I do I'll just lie there and think about this. Hmm... I guess I'm a freak...

Anyway, thanks heaps! :thumb:
    I'm glad you find it useful:thumb:
  • TovetteTovette5 Posts: 13Member
    Cleanly explained and executed. Well done :)
  • Knight-TemplarKnight-Templar0 Posts: 0Member
    I'm following this tutorial, however when i select square selction, i'm assuming you mean square lasso (probably wrong), because the corners of this selection are rounded and not square. If i choose the square (somewhere under gradient fill) i can only place one square on and wheni come to place another square on PS 7 for some reason creates a new layer...Why?

I have no idea.

Simon
    Great tutorial,:thumb: , I just can´t get the "pattern overlay" stuff to work.:( It doesn´t show the metal050.jpg. It is my top layer, with 100% visibility. Why doesn´t it show the pic?:confused: Please help!
    Knight-Templar, darth_daniel, your are weird problems... I will check if I could find a solution, because at the moment I have no clue...:confused:
    -Edit-
    @ darth_daniel: The metal050.jpg image isn't a default image of Photoshop, I've added that image into my patterns (open the image > Edit > Define Pattern ) If you have added that image into your patterns and it still doesn't work, I have no idea... Or maybe you should "flatten" that layer (you should create another empty layer UNDER the "pattern layer" and merge these two layers).
    @ Knight-Templar: The exact name of the tool I've used is "Rectangular Marquee Tool", so, yes it's the "rectangular lasso"
  • Knight-TemplarKnight-Templar0 Posts: 0Member
    Ramiel,

TRhanks for replying, i'm still having the same problem though. Ecerytime i use the rectangle Marquee tool it has rounded edges not square ones?
    I have probably done something...i'll have to figure it out...
    Thanksfor replying...any more tutorials like this would be great.
    HAHA sorted it just clicked on reset preferences and hey presto no more round corners lol
    Simon
  • firewolffirewolf0 Posts: 0Member
    worked out great dude....

thanks for the tutorial
    I'm glad you like it ;)