Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

My Own Phaser Tutorial For 3ds Max (Non-Video Post Users, Recommended for Beginners)

Toa_KaitaToa_Kaita332 Posts: 0Member
edited November 2009 in Tutorials #1
Hello again, peeps! Toa_Kaita here with a common tutorial on how to make a simple phaser blast in 3ds max.

Now, I know, there is already a tutorial here on how to do it in video post, but honestly, I could never figure out how to get it to render properly. So instead, I'm going to be using a basic glow to achieve an effect like this:

enterp10.jpg

OK, first, you must create a cylinder. Give it these settings:

Radius: 5
Height: 5000
Height Segs: 1
Cap Segs: 1
Sides: 18

Now that you have your cylinder, go into your materials. Choose an empty material space, and click the Diffuse Color Swatch. Change the color to white (R: 255, G: 255, B: 255).

Set the Self-Illumination to 100, and set the Material ID to whatever number you choose (as long as it isn't 0.). This is absloutely critical.

Now apply your material to the cylinder and render. Wait. Where are the glows?

Now click in an empty space in your workstation and press 8 to bring up your atmospheres and effects. Click the "Effects" tab.

Add a "Lens Effects" effect, and rename it "Phaser." Now in your Lens Effects Parameters box, add a "Glow."

Leave the Lens Effects Globals as they are.

Now go down to your Glow Element. Set the size to 0.2 and the intensity to 250.

Give the left color swatch in your radial color this color:

R: 255, G: 50, B: 15.

Leave the right color swatch as-is. It should be pure red.

Now in your circular color, there's a different story. Once upon a time...nah, JK. Set your mix amount to 100.

Set color 1 to R: 255, G: 150, B: 0.
Set color 2 to R: 255, G: 100, B: 0.
Set color 3 to R: 255, G: 50, B: 0.
Set color 4 to pure red.

Now, click the "Options" Tab in your Glow Element. Click the "Material ID" checkbox, and set the number to the same number as your white material.

Render your scene and you should have something like this:

phaser10.jpg

You can adjust the colors to however you want, this tutorial aims to create a reddish-orange phaser glow, as seen on Post-TNG Federation ships.

OK, that's it, I hope this helps.

Kudos,
Toa_Kaita
Post edited by Toa_Kaita on

• tippy1000tippy10000 Posts: 0Member
    good one thanks. betcha u could scale the cylinder in animation and watch your laser hit a warbird hehe
  • Toa_KaitaToa_Kaita332 Posts: 0Member
    Yea, Lol! No problem.
  • spudmonkeyspudmonkey0 Posts: 0Member
    You can improve on this further by changing the texture to use a noise or cell-based opacity map and set the glow to use a certain amount of the original texture colour too to get more variation in the beam.
    I didn't even think of that! Nice tip!
  • MelakMelak332 Posts: 0Member
    Nice tutorial! :)

...but I have to ask....are you talking about my tutorial when you say you can't get it to render properly?
    Thanks! Yea, the PhaserFX one. But I figured that out, just forgot to unlock Lume Shaders. Silly me.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]2 Posts: 3Member
    add a 2nd glow with quite large size for an ambiet effect on the surrounding area something like this which is made using a similar technique

sabre2.jpg
    fyi the sabre works well in pink but its suppose to be green if your going cannon
    Fantastic tip! :D