Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DW40K Black Templars Battlebarge

• Thank you for the comments.
    As I said in previous post, my intention is to add details in a successive pass manner. I know that to keep all details at the same depth level and consistent on the whole model is the most important thing ... and this is what I have in mind since the beginning. I've no problem with time ... all I want to do is complete the battlebarge at my best.
    Regarding texturing, I have not decided yet ... maybe a well-suited multi-layer shader will do the work but, as always, all depend by the amount of details on the model.
  • SyklonSyklon0 Posts: 0Member
    The more I see, the more I like it, this is starting to look pretty top-notch.
  • @ Syklon: many thanks :), glad to see you like it.

As promised, a little update on revisited battlebarge weapon systems.

dncyfc.jpg
  • very nice idea of urs to make a good-looking model from the warhammer universe.....im a fan and i cant wait to see it finished :)
    keep it up ;)
  • lush looking guns there, even the CIW has uber huge calibre guns considering the scales lol
  • Thank you GenDogg, I'll try to complete the battlebarge at my best.
    @Carach: eh eh, very heavy weapons out there ... many thanks :)
  • KadaeuxKadaeux0 Posts: 0Member
    Yeah, that CIWS has the equivalent of what? 18 Super-Quake Cannons.

A proper Close in Weapons System for the Battlebarge should be only 1/100th the size of the Lance.

EDIT: (And that makes it still very very large. Almost 4-5 times the size of a Hydra at least.)
  • MephMeph331 Posts: 0Member
    Wow, cool looking guns indeed!! Hmmm but I'd have to agree on Kadeux concerning the CIWS, they're a bit on the big side and personally I'd scale them down to +- 10 to 20% of their current size, which would still make them huge.
    As far as i know Lance batteries and Bombardment cannons are among the largest weaponry for a space ship, save for the ship-long Nova cannon.
  • Many thanks for suggestions mates :) and ... I agree with you on CIWS turret size and type of mounted guns
  • Near to complete the battlebarge main body with central tower (some work on the rear part to do yet).
    TODO in the next phase: wings, rear rudder (after all, it's a ship :)) and engines.

1zdq902.jpg

n3n9y9.jpg
  • liam887liam887322 SwedenPosts: 575Member
    looks great, how high in meters approx is this back bit from where the large turret mounts are on the first level to the top of the tower?
  • Thank you Liam887, battlebarge is approx 10 Km long and 3.7 Km height so, roughly 1.7 Km from turrets base to top of the tower.
    Someone should really slap those GW guys on the head with a fresh trout...
    No bad comment to you Andcar1969, you're doing this model great justice and it's a splendid model but the GW guy who came up with those original sizes must've been really, really drunk, or spatially impaired...
  • KadaeuxKadaeux0 Posts: 0Member
    Meph wrote: »
    Someone should really slap those GW guys on the head with a fresh trout...
    No bad comment to you Andcar1969, you're doing this model great justice and it's a splendid model but the GW guy who came up with those original sizes must've been really, really drunk, or spatially impaired...

There are no real solid numbers except for Cruisers (3km long.)

Battlebarges are between 6-12 kilometres long (depending on the source) as are most Battleships.

Hell the sizes are all over the place.

In fact there was one published story where a LUNAR CLASS CRUISER (actual length 3km) was written as TWENTY KILOMETRES long.
  • ArmondikovArmondikov0 Posts: 0Member
    My inner sadist is always satisfied when I see people used to the pedantry of Star Trek try to deal with the inconsistencies of Warhammer :D "b... b... but... it's supposed to be 685.85 metres long and yours is 685.84 metres...." It's quite cute actually. :D

andcar, don't worry yourself too much about it, there's only one, very important rule you need to stick to, and that is " :cool: The Rule, Of Cool :cool:". And so far, you're sticking to it gloriously!
    Here! Here! :thumb:
  • Really thanks to all of you for the comments.
    Holy words Armondikov :), I never care about the size of this stuff, style and design are important for me ... and the pleasure that I have in modeling something from W40K universe (I like too much the early gothic/high-tech mix).
  • Lookin' awesome! Are you planning on texturing it when you're done modeling?
    Oh, I sure hope so.. or I'm texturing it for him! :devil:
  • Many thanks Darkstone :), I have not decided yet ... unwrap this beast = shot myself in the temple (it will be Meph's task :)).
    Meantime, I'm in trouble with rendering engine :o (3DSMax crashes continuously ... maybe there's something in the scene that it doesn't like it at all) but I'm successful to save a series of pics of making of the battlebarge preliminary wing pod

v6lykg.jpg

npj5f5.jpg

2h2qhi9.jpg
  • L2KL2K0 Posts: 0Member
    it has something of a gundam shield.

how much (segments) do you chamfer those edges ?
  • What's your poly-count?

Tho the detail is absolutely awesome, the amount of polys required could very well be killing Max (tho I'm not all that familiar with Max, so I don't really know...)
  • SyklonSyklon0 Posts: 0Member
    fractal said in my thread he hasn't had any problems with Max on his latest, and its up past 20 million, so its probably not that. However, if you're using meshsmooth for subd modelling, I've had problems lately with max crashing when working with really poly heavy mesh-smoothed stuff if I try to do things too quickly. Hiding unneeded stuff and lowering the non-render value for iterations seemed to help some for me.
    Most likely it's the page file that can't handle the work load. I'm guessing that your page file is still on the standard variable size, managed by windows. (System PropertiesAdvancedPerformance OptionsAdvancedVirtual Memory). Change that to 4 or times the amount of physical RAM in your machine and give it a fixed size (Initial Size=Maximum Size).
    This will help you a long way. For example, I have 6GB RAM in my machine and my page file is set to fixed 24GB (24576MB, the 8-increments are important for performance; 8-16-1024-4096-...)

While 24GB may sound obscene to have as virtual memory, keep in mind that when I'm rendering the Olympic or Heracles models, my PC is using 21GB of that virtual memory and around 5.7GB of my physical RAM...

RAM (virtual and physical) is the key for rendering heavy loads, over the two-year long creation process for the Olympic and Heracles I upgraded my PC three times in order to keep up with the model...
  • First of all, thank you for your comments :).
    This is the situation: yes Meph, your suggestion was in my mind A… the first thing IA’ve done yesterday was to try to increase the page file dimension to 24 Gb (6 times my RAM memory) and now Max seems to crash less frequently. However, the fact is that this happens even with 800 Kpolys scene while my previous laptop (768 MB RAM), for example, succeeded (even if with great difficulty) to correctly manage scene up to 3.5 Mpolys.
    Syklon, thereA’s only one object (the skull) with mesh-smooth modifier applied to it and its polycount is quite low so, I donA’t think this is the problem also cause there has been crashes without the skull presence in the scene.
    I think that, together with the increased pagefile size, IA’ll have to play with FinalRender MSP (Accelerator Engine) tree settings, the problem would have to be there.

@L2K: two, three or four chamfering edges on the pod (the number is proportional to the single component object dimension as regards the entire model).

Meanwhile, I take advantage of this post to show the details of the first version of the battlebarge wing. TODO: engines group

2h4xjlf.jpg

2ce56xv.jpg
  • fractalspongefractalsponge254 Posts: 1,088Member
    Hm, 2-4 chamfers? Seems unnecessary to me, for most of those areas.

On a 15mil poly scene, I've seen VM use hit 30GB, but that might be an anomaly, since it normally peaks under 12GB. But I also have 12GB of ram, which will affect those numbers. Occasionally FR will crap out on me when there's a major poly error in an object in the scene, but then it usually spits out crap, so if it's just crashing, that's probably not the issue. What's your light setup currently? Omni raytrace shadow key and skylight? Also, what version of FR is it - on the older stage I found the brute force MC worked well, but in the latest versions the adaptive works much faster and more reliably.

Watch the smoothing groups on the "ribs" in that last shot.

Keep up the good work :thumb:
  • Hm, 2-4 chamfers? Seems unnecessary to me, for most of those areas.

On a 15mil poly scene, I've seen VM use hit 30GB, but that might be an anomaly, since it normally peaks under 12GB. But I also have 12GB of ram, which will affect those numbers. Occasionally FR will crap out on me when there's a major poly error in an object in the scene, but then it usually spits out crap, so if it's just crashing, that's probably not the issue. What's your light setup currently? Omni raytrace shadow key and skylight? Also, what version of FR is it - on the older stage I found the brute force MC worked well, but in the latest versions the adaptive works much faster and more reliably.

Watch the smoothing groups on the "ribs" in that last shot.

Keep up the good work :thumb:

Thanks for the comment Fractalsponge, I'm currently using stage-1 R2 with adaptive QMC engine and built-in Sun & Sky system for scene lighting ... I have to do more test on renderer configuration.
    I've never tried sun and sky - what's the render time like for your system?
  • I've never tried sun and sky - what's the render time like for your system?

Ok, about 8 min for a 200 Kpolys scene at resolution 750x562 (high quality settings for GI & Antialiasing) on my laptop dual core 2.4 GHz and 4 GB RAM
    Seems pretty high. You might want to give the normal skylight a shot. For key, use an fR area light and play with the size until you get a shadow sharpness/density you want, or just use a raytraced omni if you want solid shadows.