Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DTron light cycle 2010

• robb101robb101331 Posts: 0Member
    Firelode wrote: »
    Dude this rocks, can we have a blurry one at wallpaper size please?! :)

Thanks, and let me know the size you want and i'll do a render :)
    nhall wrote: »
    :eek!: spec-TACULAR! :eek!:

This looks legendary! Awesome tutorial, also. :thumb:

Cheers :D
    Oh drool, I cannot WAIT to see this. I just imagine it having the new Tron look with the old Tron style cyclebattle.

I gotta say just as a fan I love the fact that we've seemed to have reached the point where people are recreating graphics from movies... BEFORE the movies come out... and they look almost as good (I'm thinking of Tobias's Enterprise & Kelvin animation as well). Just puts a big smile on my face. Can't wait to see more.

Chris

I was talking about this with someone the other day... The lines are merging between what the industry does and what can be done on a home computer... at least in terms of the technology. Makes you wonder if this whole move into 3D cinema is a way of leaping ahead of that.

Cheers
    citizen wrote: »
    It looks fantastic, great work!

Just as an aside you should be able to produce the trail effect without ghost trails. If you extrude the spline track the bike follows into the plane, then use the slice modifier to control where that plane begins, you can make the slices gizmo follow the path. Should produce a similar effect, without expensive plugins.

Oh absolutely. I could have quite easily used the track for the trail, however it doesn't trace the other axis very well. GhostTrail follows all subtleties of the animation's keyframes, such as the bike banking or jumping... it's worth using the plugin to get such a good effect. Plus not all parts of this anim will involve a track, some will be keyframe only depending on the shot.

Think GhostTrail is free as well, as long as you're not using it commercially.

UPDATE:

Right, the model of the bike and the riders are done (yay) I recently did a brief test anim which helped me make the finishing touches to the models. These images have the completed male rider in place.

Next i need to start building some sets/environments for the animation. So will keep updating as i go. I'm gonna have to use the concept trailer for reference, as there is little available atm on what the films environments will look like.

Wish me luck :lol:

wip30C.jpg

wip30B.jpg

wip30.jpg
  • OdinOdin0 Posts: 0Member
    Mate your really coming along with this..................looks fantastic.How long are your render times per frame ? How goes the animation?:D
  • The image fidelity is striking a really good similarity to the SFX test of the film. 1920 x 1200 please I know it's a big ask but the shot of the two cycles side by side racing would be most appreciated.
  • SyklonSyklon0 Posts: 0Member
    Impressive. Looking forward to seeing it all in motion.
  • BlueNeumannBlueNeumann615 Posts: 1,275Member
    I hope that the animation includes a couple 90 degree sharp turns, a few people were miffed that the SuperLightCycles didn't do that.

As for environments and setting, Moebius did a lot of design work for the first Tron, so it wouldn't be a bad idea drawing inspiration from that. Here's a couple samples I culled:

moebius-ref.jpg
    moebius-ref-2.jpg

Chris
  • tsne16487tsne1648761 Posts: 0Member
    Am loving the look youve got and the render quality is nice, good stuff.
  • fluxfirefluxfire181 Posts: 604Member
    Two words : Friggin Sweet :p
    Odin wrote: »
    Mate your really coming along with this..................looks fantastic.How long are your render times per frame ? How goes the animation?:D

Cheers :) Render time atm is about 3 mins per frame... but i expect that to increase as the scenes get more dense. The animation is getting there, there's a few stills below of where it's going.
    The image fidelity is striking a really good similarity to the SFX test of the film. 1920 x 1200 please I know it's a big ask but the shot of the two cycles side by side racing would be most appreciated.

Here you go...

attachment.php?attachmentid=72369&stc=1&d=1251665836

That do ya? :D
    Syklon wrote: »
    Impressive. Looking forward to seeing it all in motion.

Thanks. Hopefully not long now until i can upload some wip anims :)
    I hope that the animation includes a couple 90 degree sharp turns, a few people were miffed that the SuperLightCycles didn't do that.

As for environments and setting, Moebius did a lot of design work for the first Tron, so it wouldn't be a bad idea drawing inspiration from that. Here's a couple samples I culled:

Chris

Yeah, i'm gonna put some right angle turns in, wouldn't be Tron without them :) The way it's going, the bikes are gonna run free style for a bit, before entering the game grid, where the dynamics will change to the more 'old school' rules... Might work, might not... we'll see :p

Those Moebius designs got me looking up some of the old concept sketches for the original movie... definitely will incorporate them into the sets :D Thanks for that.
    tsne16487 wrote: »
    Am loving the look youve got and the render quality is nice, good stuff.

Cheers :)
    fluxfire wrote: »
    Two words : Friggin Sweet :p

UPDATE:

Been building sets, drawing from the concept trailer at the mo, this will be the outskirts of the cityscape. With steadily dense constructs as the chase goes on.

Here's some renders from one of the earlier shots.

tronlegacybikewipd13.jpg

tronlegacybikewipd12.jpg

More soon.

72370.jpg
  • BorgManBorgMan209 DutchlandPosts: 581Member
    Hmm yeah I've got myself a new wallpaper ^_^
  • L2KL2K0 Posts: 0Member
    raise up the front wheel of one of those bikes :)
  • DmitriDmitri331 Posts: 0Member
    Looks quite good. Your reflections and glows look spot on. Small gripe- the trail looks a bit... un-smoothed. When the trail comes off of the stairs and bounces up, the bounce looks very- not smooth. Hopefully that makes sense. Maybe it has something do with your plugin and/or the number of frames per second you're rendering.... just a though. Looks good though, cheers!
  • Thanks for the large render it's a great desktop :) The pictures are looking great, I agree with Dmitri that the bounce curve on the trails look a little flat but I'm sure you already know that as this is a WIP and all.
    L2K wrote: »
    raise up the front wheel of one of those bikes :)

They'll be plenty of that in the anim :)
    Dmitri wrote: »
    Looks quite good. Your reflections and glows look spot on. Small gripe- the trail looks a bit... un-smoothed. When the trail comes off of the stairs and bounces up, the bounce looks very- not smooth. Hopefully that makes sense. Maybe it has something do with your plugin and/or the number of frames per second you're rendering.... just a though. Looks good though, cheers!

Yeah... I'm with you. The smoothness of the trail depends on the smoothness of the animation, so the problem is me :lol: I've found though today that if i meshsmooth or turbosmooth after the trail has been generated, it does improve it slightly.

Anyways, I'm gonna keep plodding on :D
    Thanks for the large render it's a great desktop :) The pictures are looking great, I agree with Dmitri that the bounce curve on the trails look a little flat but I'm sure you already know that as this is a WIP and all.

Glad you like it. I'm working on that trail, i think it works much better in motion, have a look below:

Here's a very VERY short shot from the animation: YouTube - Tron Legacy Shot 2 WIP

The HD quality looks shocking on YOUTUBE, i normally use Vimeo, but the uploads aren't working tonight for some reason.
  • BorgManBorgMan209 DutchlandPosts: 581Member
    ^Unfortunately, YouTube gives me an internal server error :(
    BorgMan wrote: »
    ^Unfortunately, YouTube gives me an internal server error :(

bizarre... seems to be working for me, and i tried it on a couple of computers... hmm.

Maybe it's still encoding, who knows. Here's the link again just in case: YouTube - Tron Legacy Shot 2 WIP
  • DmitriDmitri331 Posts: 0Member
    (it worked for me)
    Cool stuff. I don't think I can critique the animation because it's something I haven't done much of myself. Cheers!
    Pretty awesome. Pretty darn awesome.

See, I would just assume that the 90-degree turning is an innate ability of the Lightcycles and they're just not being utilized in the Legacy trailer. The thinking is that in the first movie when the battle starts, the opponent is giving Flynn nothing but 90-degree turns and Flynn has to keep up.

Chris
  • L2KL2K0 Posts: 0Member
    in the fall, thelower the bikes fall, the faster they fall because of the gravity acceleration. remember the 9.81m/s2... it doesnt need to be physicly exact, but you need it anyway.

you lack weight in the touchdown. need some suspensions. and a bit of banking.
    also a camera shake will help.

the bikes need to accelerate once they have touched the ground.
    they go same speed jumping and biking.

nice work so far :)
  • gpdesignergpdesigner203 MontrealPosts: 323Member
    This is awesome work robb101, I have no comments at all only to say you did an excellent job on the re-invent . . .
    If they do decide to do a remake, they should start with your stuff . . .

With that said, I am looking for more wall paper . . 1920x1080 . . . :D
    gp
  • OdinOdin0 Posts: 0Member
    Now thats what Im talkin about..........love it. Your certainly on your way now and I cant wait to see what you have in store. Im sure the trails can be tweaked a bit, but regardless of that......the speed, acceleration etc.................this is superb work. Any chance of getting that trail file we talked about. Much appreciated. :thumb:
  • AnnihilatorAnnihilator0 Posts: 0Member
    gpdesigner wrote: »
    This is awesome work robb101, I have no comments at all only to say you did an excellent job on the re-invent . . .

gp

sounds like you didn't notice that they already working on "Tron Legacy"...
    check youtube or google for the trailer.

cant wait to see that film next year - especially the 3D-Cinema version. (i think all comming Disney-films are now made for 3D)
    I don't think they're not MADE for 3-D, they just convert 'em to 3D, the same way they blow up film to IMAX to show it even though it's not MADE for IMAX.

Chris
  • :o fantastic :D
  • Oh and i know its nitpicking... But you forgot the headlights :)
    Dmitri wrote: »
    (it worked for me)
    Cool stuff. I don't think I can critique the animation because it's something I haven't done much of myself. Cheers!

Pretty awesome. Pretty darn awesome.

See, I would just assume that the 90-degree turning is an innate ability of the Lightcycles and they're just not being utilized in the Legacy trailer. The thinking is that in the first movie when the battle starts, the opponent is giving Flynn nothing but 90-degree turns and Flynn has to keep up.

Chris

I'm wondering if they'll have this feature in the new film, it would seem they are going for a different dynamic (judging from the trailer) the idea that the 'server' has evolved. I guess we'll have to wait and see?
    L2K wrote: »
    in the fall, thelower the bikes fall, the faster they fall because of the gravity acceleration. remember the 9.81m/s2... it doesnt need to be physicly exact, but you need it anyway.

you lack weight in the touchdown. need some suspensions. and a bit of banking.
    also a camera shake will help.

the bikes need to accelerate once they have touched the ground.
    they go same speed jumping and biking.

nice work so far :)

Thanks for the tips... guess i've spent too much time animating space craft :lol: will try to rework the physics :)
    gpdesigner wrote: »

gp

I'll see what i can do :D
    Odin wrote: »
    Now thats what Im talkin about..........love it. Your certainly on your way now and I cant wait to see what you have in store. Im sure the trails can be tweaked a bit, but regardless of that......the speed, acceleration etc.................this is superb work. Any chance of getting that trail file we talked about. Much appreciated. :thumb:

Bugger... i new there was something i'd been meaning to do. Will sort it as soon as i'm back on my desktop at home.
    Nutsy wrote: »
    Oh and i know its nitpicking... But you forgot the headlights :)

Now, you've stumbled onto something i've been unsure about. In the concept trailer they have headlights, but the newer design of the bike (the one revealed at comic con) seems to be lacking actual headlights, in favor of two glow trims at the front. From the limited amount of concept art i've been able to get hold of it would seem they do not emit light rays... but who knows :lol: for now i'm going with the way it is. Probably have to go back and change it one day :p

Thanks.

Been animating a lot... rendering is another matter all together :o should have a rough sequence by the end of the week. And will stick some designs of the sets up soon.

last off-topic
    I don't think they're not MADE for 3-D, they just convert 'em to 3D, the same way they blow up film to IMAX to show it even though it's not MADE for IMAX.

Chris

actually they really making them for 3D. The first Projekt was "Monster vs. Aliens", next release is "Up".

and believe me, its worth the effort ;) (i've seen the Trailer in 3D)
    Yeah, you could tell "Monsters Vs Aliens" was made for 3D because there were some real SCTV moments in there ("whoooaa whoaaa whoaaa!!"), but anything with live actors that comes out in 3D that wasn't shot with a 3D camera (Harry Potter 5) was done after the fact.

Article about that sort of thing on the very brill site Slashfilm

Chris
    @robb101:

any updates so far? you managed to recreate the Trail pretty authentic. Are you able to render a 3D image too?

@BlueNeumann:
    I will check out the next two Disney-Films (G-Force; Up). "Up" is completly CGI and "G-Force" is mostly live actors. Both are released and advertised as 3D-Films

TRON Legacy is probably 95% CGI and just a few bits live (as far as i remember from TRON, they just need live character heads ;) )
  • cryogen4000cryogen40000 Posts: 0Member
    @robb101:wow!!! totally awesome and breathtaking!! especially to a tron frantic like myself anything tron is amazing///i have been working on a tron game mod for crysis called Gridmage_YE i did some models for that but nothing to your level of awesomeness......i have added some concept art and one of many load screens i did up in photoshop also a shot of the Gridmage-world in sandbox2 :thumb:
    76388.jpg76389.jpg76390.jpg76391.jpg
  • cryogen4000cryogen40000 Posts: 0Member
    @robb101=Hi! again i was really hoping that you would let me use your tron character models especially the female model in my crysis (Tron) modification i have trouble building human type models :( as the main (player) character in Gridmage_YE is female///and your model/s are just simply outstanding ;) it would be absolutely amazing to be able to use your models in the mod and i could easy animate her/the model in 3Ds max and then export into the sandbox2 editor/please let me know........if this is at all possible:):):)