Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DW40K Black Templars Battlebarge

• [Deleted User][Deleted User]2 Posts: 3Member
    andcar1969 wrote: »
    @ Carach: I know ... W40K ships are very detailed but it's not impossible to obtain a good model. Have you seen my Adeptus Mechanicus battleship (you can find at this link http://www.scifi-meshes.com/forums/3d-gallery/62881-adeptus-mechanicus-omnissiah-victory-battleship.html

i hadnt see that thread (not sure how i missed it :/) but wow thats a nice ship. cant wait to see the finished product here.

u going to texture these things too? (like it seems ur doing with the impressive land raider model?)
    @ Syklon & Eraserhead: thank you very much for your comments

@ Morpheus: sorry, no chance to see the landing pod model (I haven't neither references about their placement on the battlebarge)

@ Meph: many thanks, unfortunately there aren't enough sand on the beach for a 1:1 scale model :)

@ Carach: I have a lot of back work to do ... first of all, I would like to complete this model in the best way (with texture and so on) in fact, I'm currently experimenting a way to use a modified dirt shader for the ship hull.

Back from the vacations, I'm still not convinced by the upper deck turrets design so here it is a new preliminary version, (maybe) closer to the original.
  • MephMeph331 Posts: 0Member
    Oh, cool gun design man. Hope the vacation was good!
    Many thanks Meph, I had a great vacation :)
    I've started to model the battleship main body with engines, multiple deck levels, towers and so on ... a lot of details there. Hope to post the first step very soon.
    Ok, as promised, the first two levels (there are four levels on the ship main body), with the first pass of embedded details, are shown on the following pics. The rear part still needs some additional work.
    A little step ahead ... third floor with first detailing pass added

5a28ac.jpg
    Good stuff, good stuff. Do continue! :D
    Thank you Meph :).

Thinking of a decent scenario for the battleship model I'm currently experimenting atmospheric environment creation by means of eon-software Vue 7.5 PLE Max plugin.
    After a couple of hours spent on sun, haze, fog, cloud layers (and so on) parameters I begin to obtain something interesting ... this will be the start point.
    Here it is a MentalRay wip rendering of the scene (I used an aluminum cylinder to verify the lighting system impact on a metallic surface).
    If someone is evaluating the plugin , I can post the atmospheric settings together with the entire scene setup.

2lwktix.jpg
    Ow crap mate, that does look good. That's a gorgeous scene and it seems I'll have to get my hands on that plugin too. That's just perfect material for some kickass scenes.
    Yes Meph, I think eon-software has made a very very good job with their atmospheric engine ... you would have to spend some time on it :)

Back to the battleship model, the final update to the main body with the fourth level

6tegp1.jpg
    Atmos test series (Ozone PLE Max plugin and MR wip renderer) with two different atmospheric condition and sun pitch & elevation.

s66nno.jpg

2w4wb4m.jpg
    Ok, back to the battlebarge model, it's time to test the assemblage of the central body and the rear part (at the end, some join geometry needed).
    First shot of the lower deck with the main structure modeled too.

357f4tx.jpg

2a8nhfs.jpg

smwq9t.jpg
    Always on the central part of the ship, the first block of command towers base infrastructure and preliminary detailing pass on it.

xcdno.jpg
  • spudmonkeyspudmonkey0 Posts: 0Member
    Looking pretty tidy so far
  • KadaeuxKadaeux0 Posts: 0Member
    Very nice, the Bombardment cannon looks like its missing something when zoomed out. (The single "under-barrel" looks wrong, it needs one or two companions otherwise the Turret looks top-heavy)
  • terricon4terricon40 Posts: 0Member
    Very nice, will you be adding any point defense guns later on?
    Spudmonkey, Kadaeux & Terricon4, thanks for the comments :).
    Regarding the lance turrets they're closer to original design ... maybe the upper triple cannon is a bit out of scale, I'll fix this aspect.
    Yes Terricon4, there are two lance batteries and four defense points in the first floor of the main battleship body ... I'm currently modeling these four turrets so I hope I'll add them very soon :)
  • Lee80Lee80193 Posts: 458Member
    very nice model so far.
    Thank you Lee80 :)
    First shot on the preliminary detailed rear structures of the higher floor (a sort of modern gothic cathedral with rampant arcs).
    Two light conditions rendering with the built-in sky & sun system.

1zb7ali.jpg

2zsscc3.jpg
    the updates look pretty damn fly.
    @ Carach: many thanks mate :)

As promised, the close-in weapons systems installed on the first floor of the battlebarge main body

2bsjuw.jpg
    Nice, looks like a Battlecannon.
  • cavebearcavebear179 Posts: 623Member
    Looks like your turret is going to hit the box after only turning a few degrees. :confused:
    @ Kadaeux: thank you for comment and ... yes, I've modeled another kind of heavy turret cause I'm going to introduce a light rapid fire version not in the original model

@ Cavebear: yes, you're right. I've noticed this problem but I don't mind at this stage cause I have intention to restyle all the turret base in the model ... anyway, thank you very much for yor comment
    Nice progress mate! I've been away for a while and come back to find a nicely filled thread, full of pics! Good progress!
  • Thank you Meph and ... welcome back. I'm near to complete the first phase on third and fourth floors infrastructures. I'll post an update very soon
    If you need inspiration feel free to examine my Mars Class Battlecruiser thread. (And if you want you can use the Battlebarge Hangar I uploaded here. And .obj will be coming soon!)
  • Thank you very much Kadaeux :), I've seen your battleship thread some time ago ... very nice for me, and the hangar too.
    Most of all, your battleship on-board weapon systems type has given to me an interesting idea ... I think.
    A couple of months ago I worked on a US Army weapon system, named Vulcan Phalanx CIWS, installed on ship for close-in defense pourpose.
    Now ... I'm near to complete this model, working in parallel with the battlebarge, cause it will be a personal (and I hope original) Christmas gift for a friend.
    So, why don't use a modified (for space applications) and symplified low-poly version of Phalanx for my battleship?
    Meantime, I post here a WIP rendering of the object together with a hidden line model animation based on real world weapon behaviour.
    Your opinion will be appreciated.

Vulcan Phalanx CIWS Rapid Fire Animation

2pzk00z.jpg

5vyhsk.jpg
    Very nice model. I couldn't see any reason why not, I'd relocate the ammo hopper (perhaps to a system that works through the "legs" of the CIWS.

Tangent: Funny thing is that the R2-D2 (Naval Slang for the Vulcan) is a piece of crap :p

A: Aircraft will never get close enough to a ship for the Vulcans own radar to even see it. (LASMs are the only thing they'd use in an Anti-shipping role.
    B: They only cover one section of the ship.
    C: Their inaccuracy is extraordinary. To the point that my father (who was in the navy) said flat out he wouldn't trust one of them to bring down a blimp before it had dropped its payload on them.
    D: 99% of Anti-Shipping missiles are sea-skimming missiles that bypass its Radar and targetting ENTIRELY.

The fact of the matter is that even the most advanced up-to-date Vulcan CIWS is way out-of-date.
  • experiment442experiment4420 Posts: 0Member
    Vulcans are very bad, but they do bring in a lot of moral for the inexperienced. Still they chew too much ammo and are very inaccurate, as you said. I've heard putting an extension to the barrel makes it more accurate though. Is that a myth, or would it work?