Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DTron light cycle 2010

• robb101robb101331 Posts: 0Member
    Thought this was worth an upload before i call it a night. Some more detail work done to the rider... ignore the helmet, it's an old file just there for reference atm :)

attachment.php?attachmentid=71794&stc=1&d=1250299714

C+C welcome :D
    71794.jpg
  • gonk droidgonk droid0 Posts: 0Member
    very nice. thinking about taking a crack at one of these.

mind showing a unsmoothed wire of the rear casing to see your approach?

thanks.
    gonk droid wrote: »
    very nice. thinking about taking a crack at one of these.

mind showing a unsmoothed wire of the rear casing to see your approach?

thanks.

Here you go. Basic edge modeling, obviously later i added a symmetry modifier, mesh smoothed with certain edges creased :)

wire4.jpg

wire3.jpg

wire2.jpg

wire1.jpg

Cheers
  • gonk droidgonk droid0 Posts: 0Member
    appreciate it.

look forward to progress.
  • BarBar171 Posts: 0Member
    Beautiful work!
    Most excellent!
  • ettylkaettylka0 Posts: 0Member
    Where did you get your orthographic reference?
    ettylka wrote: »
    Where did you get your orthographic reference?

They're cell shaded renders of an older version of the model i made (the one earlier in this thread) Though the model was too boxy, it's dimensions seemed sound, so used it as a template for the smoother construction. :)
    First chance i've had to work on this for over a week. Still working on the female rider. Just Added the disc... Though still a little work to do on it (mainly the backpack/housing) then just need to do the helmet (one in pic is temporary) then rig her and put her on the bike :)

C+C welcome:D

attachment.php?attachmentid=72127&stc=1&d=1250997432

attachment.php?attachmentid=72128&stc=1&d=1250997432
    72127.jpg72128.jpg
    Getting there...

Rigged the Rider with a biped, though may redo it as some of the envelopes just won't do what i need them to :( Thought i'd do this test run anyway, just to get the scale between bike and rider right. Gloves not added to the biped yet, and still working on the design for the helmet.

Bike still needs work.

Learnt something new today :D applying glows in MAX to materials rather than objects means you get the glows in the raytraced reflection... you may have known that, but i didn't lol... been so frustrated with object glows not appearing in the reflections of renders.

Anyway, let me know what you think :)

wip20c.jpg

wip20a.jpg

wip20.jpg

wip20b.jpg
  • somacruz145somacruz1450 Posts: 0Member
    Whoah that's amazing ! :thumb: The rider model is absolutely flawless, just as the bike. Keep it up ! :D
  • RAF-MXRAF-MX10 Posts: 0Member
    WOW!! Amazing job...
    Gran trabajo !!
  • ChrisTOPherChrisTOPher0 Posts: 0Member
    man these bikes are so sick looking. i saw the trailer the other night, my god gonna be so epic. i must have watched it atleast 30 times hahaha. anyway fanfreakingtastic work mate.
    your attention to detail is excellent........it just looks so sexy....there i said it haha

oh yeah almost forgot. you should do one with yellow lights aswell. :D
  • citizencitizen171 Posts: 0Member
    Sorry for the late reply, I've been on holiday. Anyway, it's looking good, hands seem a bit small, but that might be perspective.

I noticed you said you used comic book characters as templates. There's really no substitute for good reference material in human modelling, simply because our brains are so good at seeing people, any slight deviation that isn't stylistic is going to get pounced on. Personally I use All the Human Photo References and Textures 3D Artist Wants, you have to pay but there's great references there.
  • athelasathelas0 Posts: 0Member
    I must say the work you have done is stunning. wish I knew how to add the type of light settings you have done with the light blue areas to my starship I am modeling.
    still keep up the good and stunning work
  • Steve O B HaveSteve O B Have0 Posts: 0Member
    Stunning work - brilliant stuff.
    Whoah that's amazing ! :thumb: The rider model is absolutely flawless, just as the bike. Keep it up ! :D

Cheers :)
    RAF-MX wrote: »
    WOW!! Amazing job...
    Gran trabajo !!

Thanks for that :)
    man these bikes are so sick looking. i saw the trailer the other night, my god gonna be so epic. i must have watched it atleast 30 times hahaha. anyway fanfreakingtastic work mate.
    your attention to detail is excellent........it just looks so sexy....there i said it haha

oh yeah almost forgot. you should do one with yellow lights aswell. :D

Done and done :D
    citizen wrote: »
    Sorry for the late reply, I've been on holiday. Anyway, it's looking good, hands seem a bit small, but that might be perspective.

I noticed you said you used comic book characters as templates. There's really no substitute for good reference material in human modelling, simply because our brains are so good at seeing people, any slight deviation that isn't stylistic is going to get pounced on. Personally I use All the Human Photo References and Textures 3D Artist Wants, you have to pay but there's great references there.

Yeah i had a look at that site, seems good! Gonna have a scan about 1st before paying for anything. I think for the purposes of this model, my figures will do ok... however my next project is a pure character mesh so will need much better resources when beginning that. Cheers for the advice :)
    athelas wrote: »
    I must say the work you have done is stunning. wish I knew how to add the type of light settings you have done with the light blue areas to my starship I am modeling.
    still keep up the good and stunning work

Thanks a lot :)

In regards to the blue areas, what program are you using, it's not as tricky to do as you'd think.
    Stunning work - brilliant stuff.

Thanks for the kind comments.

Update:

It's all about Ghost Trails today. What has been previously a plane sticking out the back of the bike, is now a fully functioning trail... where the bike goes the trail leaves a... err... trail :lol: I wish i had time to do a brief anim to show you it in action, but with all the heavy raytrace going on atm i don't wanna risk a crash. I can't even get two bikes in the same scene without a memory moan :( Need more POWER!!!

Going yellow today :D

wip21.jpg

wip21big.jpg

wip21big2.jpg

Lots and lots still to do... i was hoping to work towards animating these in a short movie, but unless i figure out some render memory issues, that aint gonna happen anytime soon.

Feedback welcome :)
  • L2KL2K0 Posts: 0Member
    nice one.

what did you use to setup the trail automaticly with the bike mouvement ?
    are those particles? bones chain? script?

your computer has memory issues ? what are you using?
    cause i dont see how this could generate serious problems...

try a zbrush demo for your characters. you'll have alot easier to correct the proportions in there. you dont even have to fully model them in ZB, just correct what's wrong, then re export them to your 3d package.
  • ChrisTOPherChrisTOPher0 Posts: 0Member
    oh man thanks alot bro. looks so sweet so far.
    is it cool if i use the yellow bike as my wallpaper??

oh i forgot to ask. the light trail that comes off the bike, i have always wandered why those are there. i don't know much about the original Tron movie but i am a big fan of the bikes.
  • OdinOdin0 Posts: 0Member
    This project is extremly well done. I love what you have done so far and cant wait to see the finished product. Im pretty amazed at your work buddy. Very cool. Im wondering how those trails were done in Ghost trails. Im trying hard to reproduce virualy the same thing but have no idea how to do it. Would you care to share how you did it. I have a copy of ghosttrails but no tutorials. Any help would be aprrecicated. Looking forward to more updates
    robb101 wrote: »
    Thanks a lot :)

In regards to the blue areas, what program are you using, it's not as tricky to do as you'd think.

I am using the 3ds max design 2009 for the ship. here is a link to it if you want to have a look

http://www.scifi-meshes.com/forums/3d-wips/65746-atlantis-class-ufp-s-flagship.html
    on the 3rd and 4th picture you can see the areas best I want to fix. it is all sections who are red or blue also there is the position lights you cant see.
    L2K wrote: »
    nice one.

what did you use to setup the trail automaticly with the bike mouvement ?
    are those particles? bones chain? script?

your computer has memory issues ? what are you using?
    cause i dont see how this could generate serious problems...

try a zbrush demo for your characters. you'll have alot easier to correct the proportions in there. you dont even have to fully model them in ZB, just correct what's wrong, then re export them to your 3d package.

Hi.

Scroll down, i did a run through of the GhostTrails :)

In regards to my PC. I'm running a Dell Inspiron 5305, Processor Intel Core 2 Duo CPU E8400 @ 3.00ghz 3.00ghz, with a 2.00GB RAM, running on 32 bit operating system. I know its not the most advanced system but i would have thought it enough to handle raytraced renders on a bike model (be it a model with high poly and many faces)... I've looked everywhere on the web to find a sollution (i thought it would be a case of just allocating more memory to MAX, but no one seems to know how to do this) Any help with this would be really appreciated as i now feel a bit stuck with my progress :(

I'll have a gander at Zbrush, thanks :)
    oh man thanks alot bro. looks so sweet so far.
    is it cool if i use the yellow bike as my wallpaper??

oh i forgot to ask. the light trail that comes off the bike, i have always wandered why those are there. i don't know much about the original Tron movie but i am a big fan of the bikes.

Yeah go for it, use what you like :) I think this might answer your last question YouTube - Tron Lightbike Scene
    Odin wrote: »
    This project is extremly well done. I love what you have done so far and cant wait to see the finished product. Im pretty amazed at your work buddy. Very cool. Im wondering how those trails were done in Ghost trails. Im trying hard to reproduce virualy the same thing but have no idea how to do it. Would you care to share how you did it. I have a copy of ghosttrails but no tutorials. Any help would be aprrecicated. Looking forward to more updates

Ok just wanna make sure we're running the exact same plugin, cos i know they're releasing updates all the time. I recently used this one Download GhostTrails - GhostTrails I'm using the 32 bit version, but obviously depends on your system.

I'll run through a quick step by step of what i do, and see if that helps :) I know you've probably done some of this, but for the benefit of anyone reading this who hasn't i'll go from the beginning. (See below for screengrabs of the process)

1: To start with, Ghost Trails will only work with splines or shapes (not objects/mesh etc) so create a basic line (FIG1)

2: In the modify panel, select GhostTrail (FIG2)

3: You should now have the GhostTrail modifier tab up. Were using a Moving Trail, not Anchored as we want it to follow the line, not stay in one place. The most important modifier here (for this anyway) is the 'FRAMES TO LAG' This will set the amount of frames you trail will appear. I'm setting mine to 100 as this will be a short animation. (FIG3)

4: Now, go back and select the Line under the GhostTrail (FIG4) Now we animate it, do here what you like, but i'm gonna go for a two curve.(FIG5) If you wanna see the path of your anim turn on Trajectory in the Object Properties.

5: Turn on (or reselect) GhostTrail in the modifier window/tab and Bob's your Uncle :D (FIG6) If you now link the Line to an object, say a bike or plane, it will follow whatever anim you do. Hope that Helps?

ghosttrail.jpg
    I am using the 3ds max design 2009 for the ship. here is a link to it if you want to have a look

http://www.scifi-meshes.com/forums/3d-wips/65746-atlantis-class-ufp-s-flagship.html
    on the 3rd and 4th picture you can see the areas best I want to fix. it is all sections who are red or blue also there is the position lights you cant see.

Cool ship :) I also use max :thumb:

Right, there are two ways i use to add post production light glows to objects.

Firstly you have to set the glow up, to do this goto Rendering>Effects, this should open up the Environment and Effects Box.

fig1.jpg

Choose 'Add', and in the Add Effect box that pops up choose Lens Effect.

fig2.jpg

Now in the Lens Effects Parameters, choose Glow. If you look down, you'll now see that the 'Glow Element' panel has appeared. I'll let you decide your own colour and size here.

fig3.jpg

Now this is the part where we add the glow to the chosen object, where there are two ways to do it. 1st In Glow Element, choose the options menu and turn on Object ID (you will notice it is default set to 1, this will tell MAX later what object you want to glow)

fig4.jpg

Now, right click on your selected object (mines the band on the sphere) and choose Object Properties. Once in the object properties, change the G-Buffer to the same Object ID as the Glow Effect (Default "1") Click OK.

fig5.jpg

fig6.jpg

Now give it a render and see how it looks. You can mess with the settings until its how you like.

fig7.jpg

The other technique is very similar, except instead of using the Object ID in Glow Element, You use Material ID instead. Simply assign the material ID the same as the one in Glow Element.

fig8.jpg

I've come to prefer using the Material ID technique now as it works with Raytracer, where as the Object ID technique does not.

Hope that helps :D
  • L2KL2K0 Posts: 0Member
    scanline always had difficulties with raytraced reflections.
    if you switch to an advanced render system (mental ray, vray, whatever), they handle reflections alot more easily, as they are made for it.
    Dude....................thank you so much for your time and effort in putting these tutorials up. I very much apppreciate it. Now I can get cracking. I will interested to see the render times on my machine. I have the luxury of dual quad with 32 gig of ram. Should do the job. Keep coming with those updates. Hope I can retrun the favour someday.:thumb:
    thanks alot robb101!!!! that those instructions you gave me really helpt out. now I need to figure out how to animate so the lightning effect slowly turn on from powerd down mode
    Me again. Mate I have tried following what you have asked, but have trouble getting the end result. Any chance of sending me the max file so I can go over it this side? Would be appreciated. Im using the same version you have. Thanks again.
    L2K wrote: »
    scanline always had difficulties with raytraced reflections.
    if you switch to an advanced render system (mental ray, vray, whatever), they handle reflections alot more easily, as they are made for it.

I was using Mental Ray :lol: that's why i was so confused.... but it's ok now, i've sorted it. Did a 3GIG switch in windows and now everything is flying :D
    thanks alot robb101!!!! that those instructions you gave me really helpt out. now I need to figure out how to animate so the lightning effect slowly turn on from powerd down mode

You can keyframe glow effects :)
    Odin wrote: »
    Me again. Mate I have tried following what you have asked, but have trouble getting the end result. Any chance of sending me the max file so I can go over it this side? Would be appreciated. Im using the same version you have. Thanks again.

Yeah, i'll put one together for you asap :thumb:, currently doing a huge render though so might not be till tomorrow.

UPDATE:

With my computer memory issues fixed i've begun work on a test animation. Gonna be a bout 60 seconds long. Will move onto a longer one when i've identified any problems etc.

Here's some stills from the (still rendering) anim:

anim-test-2.jpg

anim-test-3.jpg

Cheers
  • Dude this rocks, can we have a blurry one at wallpaper size please?! :)
  • nhallnhall171 Posts: 0Member
    :eek!: spec-TACULAR! :eek!:

This looks legendary! Awesome tutorial, also. :thumb:
  • BlueNeumannBlueNeumann615 Posts: 1,275Member
    Oh drool, I cannot WAIT to see this. I just imagine it having the new Tron look with the old Tron style cyclebattle.

I gotta say just as a fan I love the fact that we've seemed to have reached the point where people are recreating graphics from movies... BEFORE the movies come out... and they look almost as good (I'm thinking of Tobias's Enterprise & Kelvin animation as well). Just puts a big smile on my face. Can't wait to see more.

Chris
  • citizencitizen171 Posts: 0Member
    It looks fantastic, great work!

Just as an aside you should be able to produce the trail effect without ghost trails. If you extrude the spline track the bike follows into the plane, then use the slice modifier to control where that plane begins, you can make the slices gizmo follow the path. Should produce a similar effect, without expensive plugins.