Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DW40K Black Templars Battlebarge

[Deleted User][Deleted User]11 Posts: 4,002Member
edited October 2010 in Work in Progress #1
After a long period of inactivity I've resumed my 3D hobby and decided to start a new piece from W40K universe.
This time I'll try to model a Space Marine Battlebarge conversion to the Black Templars chapter (my favourite) by means of spline and poligonal modeling tools.
Probably I'll introduce a second (or third) level of detail exploiting the Greeble plugin capabilities in a selective manner.
I don't mind of hard edges generated by its application on a polygonal model ... my rendering engine will take care of them thanks to a built-in fillet shader
Post edited by Unknown User on

• eternal3ladeeternal3lade0 Posts: 0Member
    You have a nice basic shape going there, however could you include a 6ft tall human in the next render so we can get a sense of scale? Keep up the good work.
  • alpha_omegaalpha_omega0 Posts: 0Member
    Cool! More 40K goodness!! Looking forward to seeing some more on this one!! :)
  • ArmondikovArmondikov0 Posts: 0Member
    Great start! BT's are a favourite of mine.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]2 Posts: 3Member
    Many thanks for your comments :)

@ eternal3lade: you couldn't see a 2 m tall man near a ship that is about 18-20 Km long. W40K or Battlefleet gothic battleships have an epic scale (much more than that of, for example, a star destroyer of Star Wars saga)

@ alpha_omega & Armondikov: I'll try to do my best with this model ... nice to see you here :)

A little update on the model: the star-port cannons battery
    The first modeling and detailing phase on the upper deck main structure is completed.
    Next step will be the two lance turrets.
  • Lee80Lee80193 Posts: 458Member
    this is really coming along well...
  • MorpheusMorpheus0 Posts: 0Member
    Wow, nice 'brute side thrusters' ;p.

I can't wait to see the lances.
  • MephMeph331 Posts: 0Member
    Oh yessss, more 40K :D Good start mate!

Well yeah, as will all proprtions in GW material, Space marine ships range from around 1Km to several Km, depending on which fluff or novel you read... Personally I'm not a big fan of the 'dozens of kilometers' size.
    You have a nice basic shape going there, however could you include a 6ft tall human in the next render so we can get a sense of scale? Keep up the good work.

u probably wouldnt see the 6ft human...its a wh40k ship.. :P

edit: oops, already been mentioned :)

nice start, i love to see wh40k models, though the ships are difficult to get right i believe (if its to be an uber high detailed ship ala fractal and his SW pieces)? due to all the crazy gothic detail levels that u can get on these things killing pcs :P
    Really thank you very much to all of you; I'll try to do this piece at my best.

@ Carach: I know ... W40K ships are very detailed but it's not impossible to obtain a good model. Have you seen my Adeptus Mechanicus battleship (you can find at this link http://www.scifi-meshes.com/forums/3d-gallery/62881-adeptus-mechanicus-omnissiah-victory-battleship.html
    Ok, another little step ahead in order to complete the first pass on the central part of the ship. I have to decide between two kind of turret I already modeled (the first it's the lance turret of my adeptus mechanicus battleship model, the second is the new model for the battlebarge).
    I liked them both, go for the Adeptus Mechanicus old style turret.
  • DCBDCB331 Posts: 0Member
    The first one would be my preference.
    I know, the AM lance turrets is the best for me too (for the moment).
    The first detailing phase on central body and upper deck is than completed.
    Next step is the frontal part modeling and detailing so here it is the first wip renderings.
    Some basic work on the lateral part of the head.
    I've tried to follow the original design as much as possible ... but in the next modeling level I'll add parts that currently are not on the standard model.
    I hope this will not be a "never-ending" battleship :)
    Nice details, I can hear the Adeptus mechanicus Tech priest has started to worship you :p.
    Nice progress, I'm liking the details. If you get it on par with your Mechanicus ship, it'll be a blast! :D
    Morpheus & Meph many thanks :).
    I really hope to do a better work than that done on AM ship.
    Four weapon systems added to the frontal part of the ship ... and some refinements on the lateral pods also.
    This complete the first step on the head of the ship.
    In the next phase I'll verify the assemblage accuracy of the first two already modeled part.
  • BinkermanBinkerman0 Posts: 0Member
    @ andcar1969:

Your first battleship was very good (Omnissiah), ... I don't know much about BFG, ... but I like the detail you put into them, ... the first one was nicely done, ... Are you working from Refs for this Battlebarge ? or is this your own creation like you did with your Land Raider ? ...

Jas
    Hi Jas,

I currently base the modeling work on reference pics (no blueprints, nor real model) but the great part of them are low-res or unfocused so it's difficult for me to capture all the geometry in a correct manner.
    The other issue is that I want to add more BFG style details than those in the original model (for example, the last update is totally based on the original battleship).
    Nice gunz! Ah well, in my eyes it's an advantage that there are no accurate refs available, it gives you so much more leeway in the fleshing-out of the model.
    Meph wrote: »
    Nice gunz! Ah well, in my eyes it's an advantage that there are no accurate refs available, it gives you so much more leeway in the fleshing-out of the model.

Thank you Meph, you rise an interesting question ...
    There are the Games-Workshop (or BFG) original models and we can try to model them as they are.
    There are also a wide range of other things that we can do in order to attempt to improve them (Forgeworld teaches us).
    Personally I prefer to follow the second approach ... and for this reason, for example, I'd like to see Jas exploiting his talent on a W40K piece.
    Here here! Even if it's just a bolter that can actually fire. Y'know, with the breach in the right spot above the magazine and a barrel that looks like it could actually hold the bullet from the clip instead of being bigger than the slug AND casing combined... Or a vehicle with a turret that looks like it could actually hold the mechanism of the gun, and a gunner & commander. Or even just a hatch on a Rhino that's finally big enough for a marine to actually get through it.. Ah the list is endless... :D

Sometimes I wonder what crazy Hobbit foot hair those guys at GW put in their pipes before starting to sculpt...
  • ArmondikovArmondikov0 Posts: 0Member
    Meph wrote: »
    and a gunner & commander. Or even just a hatch on a Rhino that's finally big enough for a marine to actually get through it..

Well, the vehicles are a different scale... apparently. But anyway, the model is still looking great. References are good, but in this case only for ideas, rather than to copy from. There's plenty of artwork out there that gives you a feel for what these things should be like, but don't take it as Emperor/Omnissiah given gospel.
    Ok, holiday is calling me so, before beach-soccer matches and drinks under the beach umbrella, the assemblage test of the two previous modeled parts.
    They needed some ad-hoc join geometry but now all is going fine.
  • SyklonSyklon0 Posts: 0Member
    Pretty sweet so far.
    Nice update. Being a battlebarge, are you planning to model the landing pod too? I'm curious on how they are placed on the battlebarge.
    Solid modeling; nice work. :D
    Looking good man! And I'm sure you won't be able to resist to make a battlebarge out of sand when on the beach... ;)

Hmmm a drop pod on that thing would look like one hair follicle on a very hairy back... remember that those ships are huuuuuge and a drop pod is maybe 4x4x8 meters or so.