Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DImperial Prussian assault frigate

• TinukedayaTinukedaya182 Posts: 271Member
    Well I do have to repeat what was said here in every single post. It's awesome design! Looking forward to see more of it
    "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke
    Cruiser - SFS Suricata --- Freighter - SFS "Crate"
  • Major DiarrhiaMajor Diarrhia331 Posts: 0Member
    Great ship. Looks a hell of a lot like the ships made by bbzwbbzw, I think you have the same inspiration. Except, you're taking that extra step for realism, with the proper dishes and laser emitter. I especially like the that laser dome. Two things, the ring really should be for artificial gravity, if it isn't, I don't much see the point otherwise, even though it helps balance the design visually. For the latter reason, I would keep it. Secondly, you don't need domes over the point defense gun's radar dishes. Leaving them open will give the hull that much more detail in an already excellently detailed ship. You only need domes for weather. Or, does the ship use atmospheric breaking?

Some of bbzwbbzw's ships.
    sizechartcaps.png
  • AlnairAlnair181 Posts: 255Member
    Great ship. Looks a hell of a lot like the ships made by bbzwbbzw, I think you have the same inspiration. Except, you're taking that extra step for realism, with the proper dishes and laser emitter. I especially like the that laser dome. Two things, the ring really should be for artificial gravity, if it isn't, I don't much see the point otherwise, even though it helps balance the design visually. For the latter reason, I would keep it. Secondly, you don't need domes over the point defense gun's radar dishes. Leaving them open will give the hull that much more detail in an already excellently detailed ship. You only need domes for weather. Or, does the ship use atmospheric breaking?

In fact the current design was influenced by bbzwbbzw's ships. These and the Jovian Chronicles designs are in my eyes some of the best "realistic" space combat vessels. In terms of the radar dishes you are right. I will try an open design for the antennas for comparison. The ship has an internal small diameter zentrifuge for better protection. A spinning mass of the size of the ECM ring would certainly reduce the manoeuvrability of the ship and increase its vulnerability in combat.
    Tovette wrote: »
    It's all good. Just an opinion. It's your baby, dude! :D

It's always good to get fresh and unbiased input! Working on a design for month one becomes sometimes routine-blinded... :)
    great design! iA’d like to see how this ship will look like when itA’s done!:) how did you get the idea to create a prussian ship since prussia actually doesnA’t exist anymore?:) but i like the idea:)

I should better name it "New Prussia" ;). The design is part of a future history plot when mankind has already left our solar system and is spread across countless others. The exodus was accomplished by the use of unmanned autonomous interstellar probes that carried the equipment and the genetic data to terraform and colonize planets with a compatible biosphere. The first colonists were raised by AI systems and they were totally isolated from the rest of mankind due to the limitations of real life physics (no FTL!). Their only cultural background was taken from the historic databases of the probes. Over the centuries their colonies grew but also lost a lot of their ancestor's advanced technology. Even the knowledge that earth was man's place of origin is gone.
    For my background story I have patched together a nice solar system thousands of lightyears away in our galaxy's orion arm as my personal playground. One of the major powers in this solar system is the (New) Prussian Empire.
  • limdaepllimdaepl171 Posts: 0Member
    Great!
  • Mister KMister K171 Posts: 0Member
    cool idea! :D
  • SyklonSyklon0 Posts: 0Member
    I like the ring, and the design itself is pretty top-notch.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]2 Posts: 3Member
    Alnair wrote: »
    I should better name it "New Prussia" ;). The design is part of a future history plot when mankind has already left our solar system and is spread across countless others. The exodus was accomplished by the use of unmanned autonomous interstellar probes that carried the equipment and the genetic data to terraform and colonize planets with a compatible biosphere. The first colonists were raised by AI systems and they were totally isolated from the rest of mankind due to the limitations of real life physics (no FTL!). Their only cultural background was taken from the historic databases of the probes. Over the centuries their colonies grew but also lost a lot of their ancestor's advanced technology. Even the knowledge that earth was man's place of origin is gone.
    For my background story I have patched together a nice solar system thousands of lightyears away in our galaxy's orion arm as my personal playground. One of the major powers in this solar system is the (New) Prussian Empire.

cool idea!:) so this frigate has no ftl-engine either?
    cool idea!:) so this frigate has no ftl-engine either?

No. But that's not a problem. The solar system is big enough to provide a wide playground. :)
  • nyrathnyrath0 Posts: 0Member
    Sweet ship Alnair! I am impressed. I agree with the others, the laser turret is marvelous. Looks scientifically accurate as well. Can't wait to see it textured.
    atomicship wrote: »
    That being said I wanna geek out for a minute and ask, If this is a realistic ship don't you think that you might wanna protect all the electronics on the front a little better. Like perhaps a bit of reactive plating like the modern tanks have. This way if your ECM happens to let one sneak through you wont lose the whole cluster from just one stray hit? Just wondering.
    Keeping in mind,of course that Rockets Are Not Arrows. All the vital parts of the ship need protection if any do. The nose of the ship does not deserve special protection since the nose is not necessarily pointing in the direction the ship is traveling.
    The exodus was accomplished by the use of unmanned autonomous interstellar probes that carried the equipment and the genetic data to terraform and colonize planets with a compatible biosphere. The first colonists were raised by AI systems and they were totally isolated from the rest of mankind due to the limitations of real life physics (no FTL!). Their only cultural background was taken from the historic databases of the probes.
    Yes, the geek term is "seed ship".
    http://www.projectrho.com/rocket/rocket3aj.html#lifespan
    Embryo space colonization - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In Sir Arthur C. Clarke's The Song of Distant Earth, the people who sent the mission take advantage of the database issue. They edit the database, and remove references to things that they believe will add unhealthy elements to the culture of the new colony.
  • tobiasrichtertobiasrichter333 Posts: 0Member
    Great ship - lovely design! Looking forward to a textured version...
  • Knight-TemplarKnight-Templar0 Posts: 0Member
    Great ship love the design
    No. But that's not a problem. The solar system is big enough to provide a wide playground. :)

ah right, your story takes place in one singular solarsystem..i could have thought of this myself that there would be no need for an ftl-engine:)

sorry to repeat myself but i really like the design of your frigate very much! somehow remembers me of an old early 20th century carbine:)

did you create other ships for the new prussian empire already or is that your first one?
    did you create other ships for the new prussian empire already or is that your first one?

I have already built a freighter for that universe but parts of the ship need reconstruction. I had sacrificed a vital aspect of real life construction principles for artistic reasons. But I will undo that annoying design fault as soon as I have finished the frigate.
    If started with the mesh cleanup. During the process some minor details might still change... ;)
    68232.jpg
    bf10.jpg 128.9K
    I am really loving this ship. I was getting tiredof seeing saucers, battlestars and Imperial destroyers. Not that I don't like those. It's just that someone already did that ya know.
    atomicship wrote: »
    ... I was getting tiredof seeing saucers, battlestars and Imperial destroyers. Not that I don't like those. It's just that someone already did that ya know.

So do I. I love to see all those great models made by other artists but I can't pull myself together to build ships from well-known fictional universes. It's much more interesting for me to create my own designs.
  • davidnevuedavidnevue0 Posts: 0Member
    Coolest original design I've seen from anyone here so far. Good work.
    I love it Alnair! Its not often we get really good original designs around here. Although it does remind me of a ship i did a long time ago;)
  • Orion's beltOrion's belt0 Posts: 0Member

Some of bbzwbbzw's ships.
    sizechartcaps.png

Those are painfully outdated!

check out
    http://www.phpbbplanet.com/shipyard/viewtopic.php?t=1875&mforum=shipyard

Big things comming soon btw
  • davidnevuedavidnevue0 Posts: 0Member

check out
    Wolf's Shipyard Forum :: View topic - Vir Inter Astrum, redux (updated Mar 18th)

eh in all honesty, what they've got isn't as good as the image you quoted. At least in my opinion.
    Today I started with the mesh cleanup and the UV unwrapping. Still helluva lot of work to. Lighting is improved. I must confess I'm not the mental ray pro I would like to be so I'm just testing the different settings...
    68281.jpg
    looks great already;)
  • Major DiarrhiaMajor Diarrhia331 Posts: 0Member

check out
    Wolf's Shipyard Forum :: View topic - Vir Inter Astrum, redux (updated Mar 18th)
    Nothing I haven't seen before.;)
    http://www.scifi-meshes.com/forums/2d-gallery/45208-vir-inter-astrum.html
    This ship is great! Can't wait to see it with textures!
  • jpgauvinjpgauvin0 Posts: 0Member
    Great Ship

I believe you use the right amount of details

and I agree with Coolhand and BolianAdmiral

The shape of the ring is perfect with the design of the ship

Can't wait to see more update :thumb:
  • Mister KMister K171 Posts: 0Member
    very, very cool ship! :D einfach grosartig!