Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DImperial Prussian assault frigate

AlnairAlnair181 Posts: 255Member
edited June 2010 in Work in Progress #1
After a long break a new thread... :)
This ship is my latest WIP. The modelling is finished. I might add some smaller details if I get the impression that areas of the ship need an artistic refinement but the main task of this now public WIP will be texturing.
I won't bother you with a verbose background story for that ship (in fact there is a future history plot) but if someone is interested here are some informations: The basic ideas were taken from nyraths famous web site "the atomic rocket page". Whenever it was possible I kept with the principles of real life physics. So there is no artificial gravity, no inertia dampers or other kinds of magic handwavium like FTL travel. Engines, sensors and weapons systems are as realistic as possible. The ship is 287m long and has a crew of 30. The frigate has an abundance of extremly sophisticated avionic systems so there is no need for a larger crew. In principle it could fullfill it's tasks on its own controlled by its advanced and sometimes rather headstrong AI...
68129.jpg
68130.jpg
68131.jpg
Post edited by Alnair on
Tagged:

• OzylotOzylot332 Posts: 0Member
    That is one very cool looking ship! Excellent work! :thumb: :thumb:
  • Mikey-BMikey-B0 Posts: 0Member
    Very nice! Reminds me of the ships from Jovian Chronicles. The laser ball turret is a nice touch.
  • somacruz145somacruz1450 Posts: 0Member
    Oh wow that's absolutely brilliant ! :thumb: It really looks like something that was man-made. Can't wait to see more of this one :D
  • MelakMelak332 Posts: 0Member
    Cool! Has a medium-strong Homeworld vibe going :D
  • Road WarriorRoad Warrior206 Posts: 813Member
    This is a great looking design. Well done man.
  • DimitriyDimitriy0 Posts: 0Member
    I love this design...can we get more close-ups and angles? Please?
  • Enterprise-EEnterprise-E0 Posts: 0Member
    This design is awesome! And nice detailing! Really has potential.
  • TovetteTovette5 Posts: 13Member
    I'm not crazy about the ring, but the rest of the hull looks bad-freaking-ass.
  • Sandman3d68Sandman3d680 Posts: 0Member
    Wow, awesome ship! Someday I hope that I'll be able to build a model of one of my ideas that will look as good. Can't wait to see more!!:D
  • alpha_omegaalpha_omega0 Posts: 0Member
    Awesome design... looking foward to seeing more of this one (maybe textured?)!! :)
  • liam887liam887322 SwedenPosts: 575Member
    I agree with tovette not so crazy about the ring section, but other than that looks great.
  • cavebearcavebear179 Posts: 623Member
    Wow, I really like this ship a lot! Beautiful design so i am looking forward to seeing your texturing job:thumb:
  • DannageDannage236 Posts: 634Member
    Well I agree with everyone. This is a simple elegant design and does indeed look bad-ass. I don't mind the ring much but its design could be affected by its function. Do those pods need to be away from the main body for heat or safety purposes for example?

But my main question or request assuming this isn't your first model in the series, can we see a fleet shot?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]2 Posts: 3Member
    I am always pleased to see a realistic type spaceship. I always thought that the Battlestar was a believable ship design. Minus the FTL of course. That being said I wanna geek out for a minute and ask, If this is a realistic ship don't you think that you might wanna protect all the electronics on the front a little better. Like perhaps a bit of reactive plating like the modern tanks have. This way if your ECM happens to let one sneak through you wont lose the whole cluster from just one stray hit? Just wondering.
  • MephMeph331 Posts: 0Member
    What a gorgeous ship! Dude! :o
  • emp3ror86emp3ror86171 Posts: 0Member
    Veeeery good! Post updates soon! :)
  • mikalamikala176 Posts: 440Member
    Another beauty, ring and all.
    Glad to see something new from you.
    Did you start with a sketch or just start building one day?
  • AlnairAlnair181 Posts: 255Member
    Thank you very much for the kind comments, guys! I will try to answer all your questions:

Mikey-B: In fact I got some inspiration from Jovian Chronicles. Besides the funny robot things their ships are really looking awesome.

Tovette: I'm aware of the fact that not everyone will like the ring. But without it the design of the ship would look a bit unbalanced. The ring houses a large array of antennas for active and passive sensors and an extremly advanced ECM system covered beneath carbon fiber shields. These electronic warfare systems are a vital part of the ship's armament

Dannage: Indeed there is already one other ship. It's my freighter which is on halt in the moment.

atomicship: The unprotected electronics on the prow and the open mounting of the
    gigajoule laser were an artistic decision. Given the fact that most engagements
    will be fought from greater distances e.g. several thousand kilometers and that
    the weapons of choice will be guided or autonomous missiles I think that will be
    no big disadvantage. One single hit with a kinetic warhead can pierce even the strongest armour. The benefits of the armour must be worth the costs in mass. You remember the engines should be as realistic as possible so there are physical limitations for the thrust.

mikala: My sketching skills are not even on par with my ability to model something. So most of the time I simply start building my models after collecting reference material and an extensive brainstorming. I know that this isn't the best approach for creating 3D stuff but it works for me. ;)
  • BolianAdmiralBolianAdmiral1114 Torrance, CaliforniaPosts: 2,560Member
    This ship is frakking awesome... and I love the ring.
    The idea of the ring on the ship isn't what bothers me, it's the fact that it's so round. It doesn't fit with the overall design philosophy of the rest of the ship. If you could make it less organic, perhaps, a little more hexagonal, or something like that, I think it would look great.
    A few new pictures. I added a flare and countermeasures launcher battery. I still have to clean up the mesh a bit before I can start the UV unfolding.
    68162.jpg68163.jpg68164.jpg
    Tovette wrote: »
    The idea of the ring on the ship isn't what bothers me, it's the fact that it's so round. It doesn't fit with the overall design philosophy of the rest of the ship. If you could make it less organic, perhaps, a little more hexagonal, or something like that, I think it would look great.

The engine section is rounded too. And the rest of the ship has a lot of smooth roundings. ;) But I appreciate your opinion as an artist very much! If I have got you right you are referring to the ring's cross section?
  • CoolhandCoolhand283 Mountain LairPosts: 1,294Member
    for what its worth i think the circular ring looks great and other shapes wouldn't work so well or perhaps be as strong.
    Hm, my gut instinct also tells me to keep the more rounded shape of the ring...
  • BerkutBerkut1 Posts: 0Member
    wow, that looks amazing. The way you managed to make it look realistic and still cool is quite impressive. Definately one of the best ship designs I've seen in a while, love the ring btw, you've managed to make it fit the ship very well, I imagine it would be quite hard to not make it look like it was just slapped on.
    Alnair wrote: »

atomicship: The unprotected electronics on the prow and the open mounting of the
    gigajoule laser were an artistic decision. Given the fact that most engagements
    will be fought from greater distances e.g. several thousand kilometers and that
    the weapons of choice will be guided or autonomous missiles I think that will be
    no big disadvantage. One single hit with a kinetic warhead can pierce even the strongest armour. The benefits of the armour must be worth the costs in mass. You remember the engines should be as realistic as possible so there are physical limitations for the thrust.
    Fair enough. I would fly in it anyway. Today is a good day to die.:thumb:
  • BolianAdmiralBolianAdmiral1114 Torrance, CaliforniaPosts: 2,560Member
    Keep the ring... it looks great. If it changes, or is removed, a lot of the ship's character or identity will be gone.
    Alnair wrote: »
    The engine section is rounded too. And the rest of the ship has a lot of smooth roundings. ;) But I appreciate your opinion as an artist very much! If I have got you right you are referring to the ring's cross section?

It's all good. Just an opinion. It's your baby, dude! :D
    great design! iA’d like to see how this ship will look like when itA’s done!:) how did you get the idea to create a prussian ship since prussia actually doesnA’t exist anymore?:) but i like the idea:)
  • JeffrySGJeffrySG321 Posts: 477Member
    This might be one of my favorite original designs I've seen in a while! Nice work!!! :D