Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DBattleTech - BloodAsp Mech

Sly AssassinSly Assassin0 Posts: 0Member
edited October 2010 in Work in Progress #1
Hi all, I've decided to take a little break from modelling the Osiris due to a creative mind block on it :rolleyes:

So I was crusing around the net a week or so ago and came across This picture of a Clan BloodAsp made by one Pawel Czarnecki. I have to admit I feel instantly back in love with Mechs and with the BloodAsp in particular.

So I decided to make my own BloodAsp after ten milliseconds of thinking! I hunted high and low to contact Pawel but unfortuantly he's disapeared from the 'net. But alas I found a .3DS copy of his BloodAsp on a German Battletech site and have since then proceeded to remake every individual piece :eek: from the feet up.

Whilst I am redoing an exisiting model I do intend once this remake is complete to go on and make some varients with different weapons and armour instead of just 1 direct template remake of Pawel's lovely mech.

Anyway enough chat here's some WIP pictures, starting from the feet up, current I'm working on making the cockpit.

mech003.jpg
mech004.jpg
mech005.jpg
mech006.jpg
mech007.jpg
mech008.jpg
mech009.jpg
84929.jpg
Post edited by Sly Assassin on
Tagged:

• fluxfirefluxfire181 Posts: 604Member
    Hell yeah i love mech's. Mechwarrior was always kickass..... Liking the details you got going on here.... you plan on doing the cockpit as well?
  • BerkutBerkut1 Posts: 0Member
    So I decided to make my own BloodAsp after ten milliseconds of thinking!

lol, good one

hehe yeah I remember back in the days pawels models were a part of why I even got into 3d modelling. His blood asp and fafnir were amazing.

anyways always good to see another mech on sfm. Looking pretty good there bro :thumb:
  • Sly AssassinSly Assassin0 Posts: 0Member
    fluxfire wrote: »
    Hell yeah i love mech's. Mechwarrior was always kickass..... Liking the details you got going on here.... you plan on doing the cockpit as well?

Answered with a quote ;)
    Anyway enough chat here's some WIP pictures, starting from the feet up, current I'm working on making the cockpit.

@Berkut, good to remember that Pawel got alot of people into modelling and the Battletech/mechwarrior scene.

I'm trying to do his masterpiece justice as the .3DS file I imported into maya either had some troubles importing or there was some messed up stuff in it originally.

Updates to come later ;)
  • Lizzy777Lizzy7771249 PNWPosts: 754Member
    IIRC Pawel built most of his models using trueSpace. I don't remember if he did the conversions to 3DS/LWO or someone over at BattleTech Movie, (or maybe MekTek) did. But tS *.cob files don't always translate well to other formats unless you're building with a specific format in mind. ie. Naming your objects and grouping them in such a way that 3DS will load them properly.

Getting my hands on some of his original *.cob files, I can tell you that Czarneki didn't name his objects as he built his 'mechs. I'm guessing the 3DS files were converted to DXF first or someone used a batch converter like 3D Explorer. That ALWAYS causes problems resulting in mesh errors.

One thing's for certain, he added his own style to the models which had a huge influence in a sort of revolution in how a lot of people built and detailed 3D models.

Which brings to question, are you going to add your own touches and design elements to the Blood Asp or do you intend to remake Czarneki's model?
    "Cry 'Havoc!,' and let slip the corgies of war!"
    Lizzy777 wrote: »
    IIRC Pawel built most of his models using trueSpace. I don't remember if he did the conversions to 3DS/LWO or someone over at BattleTech Movie, (or maybe MekTek) did. But tS *.cob files don't always translate well to other formats unless you're building with a specific format in mind. ie. Naming your objects and grouping them in such a way that 3DS will load them properly.

Getting my hands on some of his original *.cob files, I can tell you that Czarneki didn't name his objects as he built his 'mechs. I'm guessing the 3DS files were converted to DXF first or someone used a batch converter like 3D Explorer. That ALWAYS causes problems resulting in mesh errors.

One thing's for certain, he added his own style to the models which had a huge influence in a sort of revolution in how a lot of people built and detailed 3D models.

Which brings to question, are you going to add your own touches and design elements to the Blood Asp or do you intend to remake Czarneki's model?

ah that will explain some of the issues in the model file. And yes he certainly does have a niffty style of modelling.

I firstly intend to remake his model then I'm going to make a few varients with my own touches such as different weapon's configs according to standard Battletech rules ;) Plus I might do a varient or two with extra armour or different legs etc as I figure people especially soldiers wouldn't be stupid enough to allow important parts of mechs to be unarmoured like leg/arm joints etc.
    I figure people especially soldiers wouldn't be stupid enough to allow important parts of mechs to be unarmoured like leg/arm joints etc.

lol, well battletech and mechwarrior universes were never exactly known for their realism, especially the games as fun as they were. Some assault mechs took something like 900 LRMs to take down.
    Berkut wrote: »
    lol, well battletech and mechwarrior universes were never exactly known for their realism, especially the games as fun as they were. Some assault mechs took something like 900 LRMs to take down.

Agreed which is why I'm going to be adding that extra armour around joints and so forth.
    Also something that really narks me is the fact guass rifles have to much recoil to be mounted on arms etc in battletech, isn't it just a bloody rail gun and the object is accelerated by magnet's that are pulsed a certain intervals by eletricity. Hence making no frigging recoil!

I'd love to slap some battletech authors with that info!
  • fractalspongefractalsponge254 Posts: 1,088Member
    Conservation of momentum - there's recoil all right.

Excellent work on the mesh so far. I remember Blood Asps - 2 LBX20s and 2 LBX10s and a mess of medium lasers on Rumble Pit. Good times.
    heh, way back I actually thought that rail guns have no recoil too. But was proven wrong. Are you sure about the no gauss rifles on arms? I'm sure there were a few mechs, one that I can remember was cauldron born (sp?).
    Damn me! Got my tech screwed again lol damit.

Straight from the battletech wiki
    The Heavy Gauss Rifle is a new, deadly innovation by Lyran Alliance scientists. Applying their "bigger is better" philosophy to Gauss technology, the Heavy Gauss Rifle is the heaviest weapon in existence, and has a correspondingly high damage potential. Indeed, the recoil from the weapon is so great that the rifle cannot be mounted in a vehicle's turret or 'Mech's arms, as firing the rifle would essentially rip it off. A 'Mech firing the rifle may even be knocked down by the recoil. At close range, the rifle can inflict damage exceeding that of even an Autocannon/20, and so it has earned the handle of "Thor's Hammer" among LAAF troops.

While the Heavy Gauss Rifle is extremely powerful, it also suffers from a number of setbacks. The heavy projectile fired by the rifle experiences heavy friction caused by the atmosphere, slowing it down. At medium range, the damage output is slightly reduced. Once at long range, the velocity loss becomes far more dramatic, with this reduced damage being halved. The same projectile weight that causes such a slowdown also makes it necessary to allocate extra space to ammunition. This, combined with the bulk of the rifle itself, can lead to problems. The massive capacitors necessary for the coils that power the rifle are also not particularly inert, and will undergo a catastrophic explosion if exposed to weapons fire.

@Fractal - thanks for the complement, coming from you it's making me blush! Now I'm going to go and whip myself for having an unmannly moment.

EDIT - Seems that blurb was about the heavy Gauss Rifle, so maybe a normal one can be used on an arm?
    yeah well, the heavy gauss rifles were only really installed on one mech the fafnir as far as I can remember, and they took up most of the mechs torso, lol. They were some of the most useless weapons in the game though, I don't think I've ever seen anyone using them online in my days of mercs multiplayer. Gauss rifles mixed in with some ppcs were used by snipers for their range. The heavy gauss rifle being a medium range weapon was so useless since there was practically no combat ever fought at that range. And at close range LBXs and ACs were the king. I remember my 86kph summoner with a Clan LBX-20 and a Clan Ultra AC-20 and almost no armour, god I had fun brawling, lol...........*looks around for his MW4M cds*
    No, the proper brawling thor is 2 lbx20 and 3 clan ML, with jets and ecm. Victor 3x light gauss and 1 erppc for range. And if you think heavy gauss is useless, you've never played in the city :P Victo heavy gauss clan gauss, ERLL, and ERPPC, with jets and ecm, or same on highlander - very deadly.
    I've played MW4Mercs for like at least a year after it came out frequently, and I still think heavy gauss are useless, lol. Since its a non clan weapon it has a terrible damage/weight ratio compared to other weapons. I don't know where do you think you can find room for 3 ML and ecm (maybe you didn't use any engine upgrades?), with my setup the armour was practically completely stripped already (JJs were a must of course). And I didn't have any room for ammo. Most of the time my final kill would involve a suicide run because I'm out of ammo, lol. I never really got used to sniper mechs but there were a bunch of good setups, victor and highlander were frequent from what I can remember. Some people that had the expansion packs used the kodiak. But still I loved the thor for it's 360 degree torso rotation and high mobility with relatively good punch. For the really small maps a dire wolf with 3 CLBX-20 and 2 CLBX-10 was also a good brawler.
    The HGR isn't for spinning around with a brawler - it's for jump ambushes; weight isn't everything. If you played some top level organized TWL or MWL matches you'd be guaranteed to see it in action.

Daishi = bait. Useless in league competition - slow, soaks up tonnage and a CT you can hit from like 89 degrees offcenter. Bloodasp, mkII, sunder, gladiator, highlander - all better assault chassis.

The Thor build works - you are of course fiddling with the armor (as you should all the time), but it can mount full reactive CT and hit 79kph, with JJ and ecm. Save it for team battle though.
    I see I've sparked the inner mech warrior back within you too :p I've been hanging around over at mech warrior living legends (Mod of crysis) and are patiently waiting for it's release sometime in the next year or so....

Oh and on a note about the bloodasp, I've been busy since Friday so haven't had much time to get stuck into the cockpit, so far I've got the shape roughed out, cut in the front grill and started doing the bottom of the cockpit where some lasers I assume are mounted.
  • ComcoComco317 Posts: 1,281Administrator
    Damn Rick, that's some outstanding work so far. Those feet look damn near perfect!

Definitely looking forward to updates on this one! :)
    Thanks Tim, I'm templating my work off the .3ds file I found of the bloodasp most of it is near identically the same as it's forefathers! ;) But alot is slightly different as I had to figure out how Pawels made it in the first place :eek:
    Thanks Tim, I'm templating my work off the .3ds file I found of the bloodasp most of it is near identically the same as it's forefathers! ;) But alot is slightly different as I had to figure out how Pawels made it in the first place :eek:

You have no idea how many times that's been said. LOL
    Worst part is this damned cockpit he's made, the windows are seperate single sided polys and theres the window surrounds aswell :o
    Evening all, finally I've managed to back engineer this damnable cockpit on the BloodAsp and it's now complete. Though slightly different around the windows as the way Pawel made it which was overcomplex and frigging annoying.

Anyway I now bring you the complete cockpit assembly.

mech010.jpg
    mech011.jpg
    I think you've improved on his original model work. Will you add in an interior as well?
    At this stage proberly not, but it doesn't mean I won't eventually. Unless I can find some kewl interior shots of other mech cockpits then I might leave it for awhile.
    ...Unless I can find some kewl interior shots of other mech cockpits then I might leave it for awhile.

Are you saying you'd need some references of Mech cockpits for ideas?
    Yes I would be tim ;)
    Hmm...Not much out there that I can see...

Some links to the intro videoes for the various games -
    Newest Mechwarrior Videos - Metacafe
    YouTube - Mechcommander intro

Seems every artist who's ever worked on a MW game has a different idea of what the cockpit would look like...Some (pretty useless and low res) examples...

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

4.JPG
    65752.JPG65753.JPG65754.JPG65755.JPG
    My advice would be to model it off a modern fighter's cockpit - Something along these lines...

f22ausairforce182kz7.jpg

f-2b-01-front.jpg
    65757.jpg65758.jpg
    Thanks for searching those out for my Tim. You've had me thinking alot about the cockpit interior in the past 30-40mins and I've got some decent ideas now thanks to you. I think I'll go for a cross between a fighter and a bomber cockpit, ie small enough to have enough space to get past the pilot's seat but only if you squeeze past.

I'll proberly have two or three main screens infront of the pilot and 1 at 12 oclock high. Plus a keyboard setup, two joysticks (Obvious reason's why), rudder pedals and the actual seat (Proberly an ejection seat)....
  • Lord ErisuLord Erisu0 Posts: 0Member
    Its looking sweet btw, good work.
    Comco wrote: »
    Seems every artist who's ever worked on a MW game has a different idea of what the cockpit would look like...

That makes sense considering there are hundreds of different 'mechs in the game. Each with different weapons, systems, etc.

Most BattleTech cockpits have these features: Comms display, Heat display, weapons displays, map display, weapon toggles, foot pedal controls, throttle controls, manipulator control (if it has hands), coolant vest ports, atmospheric vents, storage bins, fire extinguisher, foot locker, and in the case of InnerSphere units - Fusion Powered Potty and Mini Fridge! (No joke. It's canon BT.)

The trick is to make all of that fit into a small space.
    Careful, I'm seeing segmentation on the top of the cockpit - maybe you meant it to be like that. Excellent work on the launcher and other doodads.