Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DWARHAMMER 40K Vehicles

• Sly AssassinSly Assassin0 Posts: 0Member
    @Jas, thanks mate for the comments. I'm going to finish off my light fighter and do abit more work on the osiris before I start anything to do with WH 40K. Thought I think I'll be taking the path of the Tau....
  • BinkermanBinkerman0 Posts: 0Member
    Just updated that pic (post # 180) .... The track was a smidge too wide (forgot to unhide the other side that encloses it, ... so I re-rendered WIP 006 with the track at the correct width, also showing the other part that was hidden ....

@ Sly Assassin:

Sure, ... but the Tau ?? ... Bah ... 'For the Greater Good' ... my arse... :lol:

Jas
  • KadaeuxKadaeux0 Posts: 0Member
    Tau are dirty Commies ;):p

If you want a real challenge do Tyranids :p
  • Sly AssassinSly Assassin0 Posts: 0Member
    The Tau own me, their ideals are perfect for my soul!
  • StarSlayerStarSlayer0 Posts: 0Member
    Great start on the Raider Binkerman. Is there any chance you might make one of the pre-heresy variants?

Pre-Heresy Land Raider
    Thanks Starslayer, .... Ive just taken a look, ... looks like the MK II .... I was actually deciding on that version or the Reinforced version to go with the Prometheus, .... I like the MK II because it has noticeable differences with the MK V Prometheus, to give more variety in its structure visually, rather than just a different paintjob ... Though Im not sure I can have the MK 2 & MK 5 together, because they're from different time periods or not ? ... that's why I was originally intending on two MK 5 Land Raiders (Prometheus & Grey Knight Re-Inforced) ...

I put this pic together to give an overall view of things to come, ... These are only the main models .... that's not including the surrounding environment / bits & bobs / weapons etc .....

Jas

Pq2cue7S.jpg
  • MephMeph331 Posts: 0Member
    Damn I can't wait for the terminator... :D

Fluff-wise, don't worry about fielding different marks together. As with armour, vehicles are repaired and maintained over the millenia and the older the vehicle, the more revered it is.
    A Heresy-period model might be extremely rare but not unheard of. It could be a 'hero-vehicle' with a very ancient and powerful machine-spirit (the AI every Land Raider has). A 'venerable' Land Raider so to speak. :D
    OK, Thanks for that Meph, .... Think I will lean toward the MK 2 then for the other one, ... and will probably get that version sorted straight after the Prometheus while I'm in Land Raider mode....

@ Starslayer:

I'll be doing the MK 2 with the Grey Knight markings seen in the pic (post # 187) ....

Jas
  • StarSlayerStarSlayer0 Posts: 0Member
    That's awesome Bink I really dig the sponsors on the Mk II. I agree with Meph, from what I understand from the fluff the older something is the generally better it is technologically. As always I am really looking forward to seeing all your stuff progress.
  • eternal3ladeeternal3lade0 Posts: 0Member
    Very cool, I'm still in awe as to how you get everything to look so smooth and realistic, my attempts pale in comparison. Can't wait for the next update.

Eternal3lade
  • ArmondikovArmondikov0 Posts: 0Member
    Hector Rex? Oh you tease.
    Didn't get anymore modelling done for the weekend (caught up with RL stuff), .... Just added the base shape for the turret ready to be done, and cut in the panels on the door, ..

I did experiment with the Front Lights and an environment test ( I highly suspect we'll still have bloody traffic cones in the 40th century) ..... The track guard still has its hard edges until I cut in the opening for the track, and will get stuck into the central section during the week, ... Won't be too long before modelling is done, and get on to final textures ....

@ StarSlayer:

Yeah, I agree about the Mk 2 ... Glad I can include it in the scene ....

@ eternal3lade:

Good to see you back eternal ! .... Hows the Ork Wagon going ? ....

Jas

*EDIT* One of the pics Removed, as it was the same as Post #199 (but without the Warden) ...

Pq2NpkzS.jpg
  • eternal3ladeeternal3lade0 Posts: 0Member
    Hehe... about the Ork Gunwagon, the texturing process stopped me dead in my tracks as I don't think I'm supposed to spend 3 times as long on the texturing as I did on the model :( and at the rate i was going, that was the time frame I was looking at. Anyway, about your Land Raider is the entire side piece excluding the tracks and bolts a single mesh or is it composed of multiple pieces, and how did you texture that thing so fast :o

Eternal3lade
  • Lord ErisuLord Erisu0 Posts: 0Member
    Sweet work Binkerman. Can't wait to see the rest of it.
    Binkerman wrote: »
    Didn't get anymore modelling done for the weekend (caught up with RL stuff), .... Just added the base shape for the turret ready to be done, and cut in the panels on the door, ..

I did experiment with the Front Lights and an environment test ( I highly suspect we'll still have bloody traffic cones in the 40th century) ..... The track guard still has its hard edges until I cut in the opening for the track, and will get stuck into the central section during the week, ... Won't be too long before modelling is done, and get on to final textures ....

@ StarSlayer:

Yeah, I agree about the Mk 2 ... Glad I can include it in the scene ....

@ eternal3lade:

Good to see you back eternal ! .... Hows the Ork Wagon going ? ....

Jas

Pq2NpkzS.jpg aV2ylF6r.jpg

There appears to be some weird effect going on with the armour plate in the second picture (with the headlights on it) it almost appears to be "lifting" off of the model as if it we "peeling" paint.
    @ eternal3lade:

Actually textures can take longer than building some models, with regards to getting them looking right ... Depends on the types of textures being done .... Decent textures are more important than the actual model, since they define the end result, ... so its worth taking your time with them, .... no matter how good a model is, .. a bad texture job can destroy all your effort spent building it ...

For the Land Raider there are multiple pieces, ... they are planer mapped in sections, you don't need to unwrap or map every single little part individually .... you have large sections to work on as a single texture in Photoshop, ... Along the edges where planer mapping would be done from different views, you would then stich those joins together so the texture flows across those edges ..... I haven't even done the textures properly yet, .....

@ Lord Erisu:

Thanks mate ... shouldn't be too long before the rest is built ....

@ kadaeux:

Don't worry about it Kitt, .... Only the Head Light texture & Track are staying, ... the rest are Temp ....

Think I will stick with Clay renders until I do the textures properly, ... I was just sharing some experiments with lights & environment, since I didn't have much time to do any modelling last week, ....

Cheers

Jas
    Hehehe, good job Binky! All it needs is a confused but stubborn traffic warden writing a ticket for parking in the middle of the road. Oh... and an angry Sergeant in the top hatch cocking his bolt pistol... :D
    No Angry sergeant, But .... This one's for you Meph :D

Jas

Pq2TmeoA.jpg
    ROFL!! Damn that cracked me up, much to the shocked surprise of my collaegues within a radius of 10 meters. :thumb:
  • Genius
    heh :D ... re-posted the pic .... I scaled him down a tad, was a bit big ... and included a subtle description to go with him (post #199)....

Jas
    I am left wondering, how tall are the space marines supposed to be?? 8ft tall or something??

And you gonna include the traffic warder in more pictures??
  • QuiarcusQuiarcus1 Posts: 0Member
    About that Lord Erisu - they're big, genetically engineered supermen essentially, bit like the mutants in Fallout...but better looking (sometimes) and a lot smarter.

Awesome work so far Binkerman - the speed and quality of your work is quite inspirational!
    I haven't played fallout, but I have read nearly all the books in the horus heresy plus a couple of others, and I've got the dawn of war games, got firewarrior somewhere too. but I'm just not sure how tall they are, roughly. 8 foot tall, or 3 meters tall?? I forget you americans use meters sometimes.
  • ArmondikovArmondikov0 Posts: 0Member
    You have made my day with that traffic warden picture!
    Space Marines are about 8 feet tall OUT of armour, 9 in it.
    Thank-you Kadaeux.
  • DCBDCB331 Posts: 0Member
    There was a size chart in one of the early rulebooks as I recall, but the best I managed to find was this - http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v660/wurdolak/HeightchartImperium.jpg

I would think a primarch would be almost as big as the dreadnought, depending on which description you accept as canon.
  • alpha_omegaalpha_omega0 Posts: 0Member
    Wow, your Land Raider is looking terrific, Jas! Top notch work, as usual!

... you mentioned that you planar map sections of the model when UV mapping. Does that mean that you take an entire side (be it right, left, top, bottom, etc.) of the model and planar map it? Doesn't that make the other edges (i.e. the top, bottom, front, back edges of a planar mapped side) do strange things texture-wise? Could you post up a shot of your map(s)?

I ask because I have been struggling with mapping my Rhino(s) (and other models)... it seems that I have a pattern of getting a model almost done, then start trying to UV Map / Texture it, get frustrated, and ditch it for awhile.... :rolleyes:

Thanks!!
    They key ingredients for uvw mapping are patience and persistence...

Indeed if you're texturing planar sections you have to pay attention that the edges and weathering matches up in your psd's. scratches, icons, camo patterns all have to match up where they 'go off' one edge and 'come on' on the other edge. As you get more and more experienced with you'll get more confident and able to unwrap complex shapes and avoid the whole 'edge-matchup' hassle altogether.