Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DMark IX Hawk, Global Space Command

JWWrightJWWright171 Posts: 0Member
edited July 2011 in Work in Progress #1
classic martin bower...
90076.jpg
Post edited by JWWright on
Tagged:

• JWWrightJWWright171 Posts: 0Member
    ugh, i gotta know when to hit the hay...
    this bird is loaded for bear.
  • rojrenrojren2298 Louisville, Kentucky USAPosts: 1,970Member
    I always liked that ship. Which paint-job are you going to use?
    yeah, the hawk rocks, always wanted to model it...

i dunno, maybe the original orange markings... but it is a ship that really looks good with many different markings, maybe i'll make up a cool squadron if i have the time...
  • Red SparRed Spar171 Posts: 0Member
    I love the Mark IX Hawks! As a matter of fact I love all Space 1999 ships. Glad to see you are doing this JW - You sure have been busy.

Man I wish someone would bring Space 1999 back...call in Space 2099 and change the goofy premise of the moon being blown out of orbit.

Great work
  • vfxartvfxart1246 PNWPosts: 266Member
    Excellent choice of ships!
    i have actually been working on a treatment for a sequel of the series, takes place a few generations after koenig's command, so far all i have is a detailed scenario of what life is like on the moon, in hopes of someday working up a pilot screenplay...

basically, a similar difference between the original battlestar galactica and the excellent modern series, a serious adventure drama with a science fiction backdrop.
  • BuckaroohawkBuckaroohawk2 Posts: 0Member
    I love the ships from Space:1999. They had a functional, real-world look so often missing in sci-fi films and TV. But I've always wondered how the pilots got in and out of the Hawk. There don't seem to be any doors or hatches visible on its fuselage. Any supposition on this from anyone?
    good question! you can ask martin himself, his website is great and he responds to messages, he's a great guy.

i'd guess that his answer would be, that this was just supposed to be for one ep, so he was just concerned with making an aggressive looking, earth ship... so details like that weren't realized.

i havent even identified any landing gear on this bird...
  • StarshipStarship464 São Paulo - BrasilPosts: 1,976Member
    It brings back memories from when I was young... The Hawk is one of my favourite ships. :)
    yeah, me too, it was a toss up between this one, the ultra-probe or the swift...
    closing on on the finish.
    so of course i'm modeling rocket launchers for my hawk...
  • scifiericscifieric1122 Posts: 1,497Member
    This is beautiful! Like so many here, I have a great fondness for the ships of Space:1999 and the Hawk (along with the Eagle) sit at the top of that list.

Great work JWWright!
    its a great ship, i'm glad i modeled it, i'm exhausted...

i may do some lighting tests before i attempt textures, which is the real chore.
    A few ISO's
    Yeah, it's been a while... thought I'd start work on texture maps:

th_Hawk_01.jpgth_Hawk_02.jpgth_Hawk_03.jpgth_Hawk_04.jpg
    th_Hawk_05.jpgth_Hawk_06.jpg

Going with the traditional paint scheme... and wanted to make it look as is if its seen some action... more to come!
  • rojrenrojren2298 Louisville, Kentucky USAPosts: 1,970Member
    Looks very good.

Before Space:1999 were any SF ships painted any colors other than grey or white? I remember one Space:1999 ship that was painted a reddish color and even had decorations on it (The "Taybor" ship?) It made it seem very exotic.

Have you thought of adding more detail than existed on the original studio model?
    Thanks! I like the idea of colorful spaceships, like illustrations from the 60's & 70's that were very popular. Bower & Johnson managed to do a lot with color on their miniatures which was always fun to see.

This is just meant to be faithful to the filming miniature, but I am adding detail like plating and weathering... one day I might do a re-design of this ship which could use some landing gear and a way to get in and out of it.
    Does anyone else find texture mapping the most difficult & time consuming part of modeling? Maybe I'm doing it wrong... but man! All night for one or two objects?

Anyway, the latest update:

th_Hawk_07.jpgth_Hawk_08.jpgth_Hawk_09.jpgth_Hawk_10.jpg
  • japetusjapetus2937 SeattlePosts: 1,397Member
    Very nice! Yeah texture mapping is a pain, I think my Excelsior took longer to texture than to model! It's really about how smart your UVMaps are laid out.
    I never saw this show, but was just googling to see designs and came across the moon base. It's a little off topic, but is the moonbase model the same model used in 2001? Keep up hte great work!
  • PagrinPagrin171 Posts: 0Member
    Good to see the Hawk taking flight again. I can't understand why I hadn't found this thread earlier.
    The mapping stage of my models is always a painful one. I think it's why I stick to Procedural textures so much for the details, and save the mapping just for the bits I have to.
    Great work on the mesh by the way.