Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DGood Old Homeworld 2...

2»

• ComcoComco317 Posts: 1,281Administrator
    Outstanding work there Cal. I too am looking forward to a release of these babies. :)
  • DeadlyDarknessDeadlyDarkness0 Posts: 0Member
    You really need to find a way to get AA to work on those. Just fiddle around with some of the sharper filters, catmul-rom or blackman are good ones to try.
  • CalCal0 Posts: 0Member
    balcoragatezr3.jpg
    w1024.png

A Hiigaran Destroyer (which is a pretty huge ship when set against some of the smaller Frigates, Corvettes and Fighters, etc) is absolutely dwarfed by the immensity of the Balcora Gate as it enters the gate's central ring. The central ring slowly revolves.

Used a touch of 'FinalGlow' in this render.

To answer the question about AA: I just can't find a satisfactory way to avoid having any kind of AA kill the clarity of these low-res textures. Since my whole approach has been to try and recreate the look of HW2, I'm trying to avoid any 'enhancements' that would have looked out of place in the game itself (and I do continually go into the game itself to take reference shots of each of the models to work from), but I'm always open to suggestions as to how to improve the renders within these parameters. I'm just trying to stay faithful to the souce material, in context, despite the wealth of bells and whistles Max offers (and tempts me with). In the end, maybe the simplest, most faithful aproach works best with this project.
  • limdaepllimdaepl171 Posts: 0Member
    Melak wrote: »
    Regarding the Homeworld 2 backgrounds, this tool is said to be able to extract them from the game files, I don't have HW2 installed though so I can't try it.

I did this once but they came out with a lot of artifacts. but with some photoshop work they can be used though. i fixed two back then. in case you'll fix more of them make sure to send me a copy :D

Regards Roman
  • GuerrillaGuerrilla789 HelsinkiPosts: 2,865Administrator
    Cal wrote: »
    To answer the question about AA: I just can't find a satisfactory way to avoid having any kind of AA kill the clarity of these low-res textures.

Have you tried turning Filter Maps option off in the Renderer tab? That should leave the maps nice and sharp, when rendering.
    Comco: i entered it manually in the back end
    Join our fancy Discord Server!
    limdaepl wrote: »
    I did this once but they came out with a lot of artifacts. but with some photoshop work they can be used though. i fixed two back then. in case you'll fix more of them make sure to send me a copy :D

Regards Roman

Thank you! I'd very much like to know which app you used to extract these as I'd like to give it a go myself. In the meantime, I'll see what I can do with these - it's so frustrating they have those defacing artifacts on them! I'm pretty handy with Photoshop, though (I work with it everyday), so I can see the pics are not beyond repair...

Ah well - have a Prison Ship for your troubles!

prisonstationbu2.jpg
    w1024.png

Not too happy about the textures on this (yes, it really does have that unsightly stripe going right across the top of the dome) - the underlying mesh is actually very good, a great design, but the artist dropped the ball on the texture, imo, undermining the design as whole...
  • Road WarriorRoad Warrior206 Posts: 813Member
    Nice- Cal. Real nice.
  • Alex McphersonAlex Mcpherson0 Posts: 0Member
    But it doesn't have that stripe ingame... wtf?
    But it doesn't have that stripe ingame... wtf?

*cough*

ss00004ni3.jpg
    w640.png

One of my reference shots, taken in-game.
  • Andrew MarchAndrew March0 Posts: 0Member
    Very nice, I really wish someone would do some hi poly models and release them.
  • AresiusAresius359 Posts: 4,171Member
    wow. That gate's immense. I guess I really need to replay the game once more...

Where only do I have the CD???
    Wanders off in search for the CD
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]2 Posts: 3Member
    I am not sure hw1 & hw 2 would run on vista :(

so unless I replay them on my wimpy laptop I cant replay them..

I am drooling over the models & textures, wish you had been a little more creative and greebled them though :D
  • YIIMMYIIMM179 Posts: 96Member
    flazza wrote: »
    I am not sure hw1 & hw 2 would run on vista :(

HW2 definitely does, so you're ok.
  • ComcoComco317 Posts: 1,281Administrator
    Cal - Have you tried lowering the Blur amount on the textures themselves? Try something like 0.1 and apply AA and see if that makes any difference...

Also try setting the texture map filtering to "Summed Area".

See screenshot for both settings...
    63432.JPG
    flazza wrote: »
    ...I am drooling over the models & textures, wish you had been a little more creative and greebled them though :D

My project is to faithfully recreate the entire HW2 fleet in 3dsMax, which means avoiding the temptation to 'improve' the original meshes in any way whatsoever. I'll be focusing very much on just putting out a definitive, 100% faithful-to-the-game complete HW2 fleet. Beyond that, it's over to everyone else to do with the meshes and textures what they will...
    resource_collector_and_controller.jpg

The Hiigaran Resource Collector and Controller. I'd like to animate the collector's armature, but it's tricky figuring out the exact movements and there's no way to set the model's in-game animation files to work in Max...
  • Road WarriorRoad Warrior206 Posts: 813Member
    Cal- YOU'RE THE MAN! One word. AWESOME.
  • lymantoklymantok0 Posts: 0Member
    Cal, those renders are awesome!!! Any time frame for your initial meshes and/or completion of your fantastic project?
  • OzylotOzylot332 Posts: 0Member
    Lovely!!:thumb:
  • backsteptbackstept2017 Posts: 918Member
    I love those little yellow guys :D
  • morranspacemorranspace0 Posts: 0Member
    same here
  • Lord OvermindLord Overmind0 Posts: 5Member
    LOOKB4UPOST.jpg
    PLEASE don't bump an old thread.
  • backsteptbackstept2017 Posts: 918Member
    necroposting is a no-no :(

I'll close the thread. We can re-open it at the thread starter's request.
This discussion has been closed.