Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DNear future mecha universe wips

• docpricedocprice0 Posts: 0Member
    The model dose look good, and i like it, but it dosent feel Russian with the USMC digital camo patteren.

and yea it depends on how far back in the background, with that textured just thrown on there it flattens out the model and makes dull. If its a decent distance away from your main model then yea i think it would work out.
  • BerkutBerkut1 Posts: 0Member
    that bad huh? lol, I guess I'll see, maybe I'll use it as a texturing experiment. I need to drop the poly count significantly on it first, this is from the days I didn't care for polygon managment, so my computer can barely move this thing, lol. If I do go that far though I'll probably change some things on it.
  • Monkey BoyMonkey Boy0 Posts: 0Member
    I dunno, it does look a little flat, but really, most cammo textures in real life are mostly 'thrown on' - usually when a machine goes from one enviromnemt to a complete change of climate - desert to forrest to tundra/artic etc, plenty of WWII tank cammo patterns were slapped on in field - I don't think she passes as the focus of an image, but I don't think you need put her 3miles in the distance, behind a hill, with dense trees in front either.
    did some more work today. Not much to show, but wanted to put something up before going to bed. Most of the work can't really be seen since it was optimizing stuff, but I've changed some minor stuff here and there. I've cut the poly count from like 650k to about 300k, which is still way too much for this, so I'll keep working on it. I guess it looks like I'm gonna go full out on this model too to be able to use it in the foreground, so I'll be rebuilding parts of it. (I really hate the rotating cannon, won't even show the other side, lol.) I guess this is going to be a MK3 version of the gen 1 unit, so it'll be able to stand some chance against gen 2 units like the Snow Leopard.

Oh yea, slapped on some reactive armour(I think it looks a lot more russian now, lol), I'll probably add more later. Also the grey box on top of the torso will be an advanced optics suite (aka head) like the one on Snow Leo.
    58634.jpg
  • MephMeph331 Posts: 0Member
    Looking good enough for a background model. Be sure to light it carefully, that way you hide the imperfections quite well. That should do the trick.:D
    lol, isn't it better to have less imperfections to hide?

anyways, done some more work on it. Also just realized particle cannon can only move in one direction. D'oh. Added the shoulder to the already huge list of "things to be redone". I'm thinking straight up anti-mech gun on the other side to replace the gatling gun, similar to modern tank guns. Not as effective as new tech anti mech weapons but very reliable to complement the extremely powerful but unreliable particle beam cannon.
    58700.jpg
    made a size comparison in case anyone's curious as to how these monstrosities look like side by side
    58710.jpg
    Nice render mate! They're looking cool. :thumb:
    I like the way the Kodiak has a similar sensor hear. It kinda looks like there might be a little mech actually piloting the Kodiak with just it's head sticking out, using two big levers to move the legs... 'hop hop hop' left right left! :D
    thanks Meph. Lol, little mech. I think that's due to the fact the russian unit is so....wide.

Outlined some new weaponry for the kodiak. I have no idea how to get ammo to the 185mm yet though.
    58780.jpg
    Berkut wrote: »
    Outlined some new weaponry for the kodiak. I have no idea how to get ammo to the 185mm yet though.

Big, fat ammo drum/box behind the 'elbow' joint. ;) It'll also give some counterweight to the gun too so there will be less stress on the elbow actuators ;)
  • FreakFreak1088 Posts: 4,361Member
    Man both of these mechs look great.
  • L2KL2K0 Posts: 0Member
    what about an armored ammo ribon that goes from inside the machinery to the gun ?
    @Meph, hmm. I thought about that and I'm thinking that it would make the gun too heavy for the "shoulder" joint to handle. I want it to at least be able to carry same amount of ammo as modern tanks, so I think the ammo box will have to be on the torso somewhere.

@Freak, thanks dude

@L2K, yea I'm starting to lean to that conclusion. This would be one heavy ammo belt though, lol.
    Well, take a look at the ammo belt for an A-10's Avenger cannon. That'll give you some idea of a heavy-duty ammo system. Or try to find some photo's of a modern day naval gun (damn, I almost typed navel gun :D)
    yea the gau-8 ammo belt is pretty serious

anyways worked on some weapons and added the countermeasures suite. No lasers this time. CIWS is provided by a pair of high velocity shotgun turrets.
    58857.jpg
  • moebiusmoebius0 Posts: 0Member
    Seriously cool mech work here! The design and development process is very impressive, but what I would really like to see is a short animation demonstrating range of motion possible on these things.

Cheers! — Moe
  • Sly AssassinSly Assassin0 Posts: 0Member
    Very nice, I love the mech's. I've read just about every book I can lay my hands on in regards to mechs and these beasts are awesome.

I sense a need for mechwarrior coming on.
    thanks guys, appreciate it.

moebius my poor little old computer would probably kill itself trying to animate them, heh. But we'll see. For now I just want to try to finish the models/textures which is a challenge enough for me as it is being a member of the "it'll get finished someday club", lol.
    ok, I think I've finally worked out a system that I'm quite satisfied with. 11 round ammo clips that the mech drops once empty, and gets reloads from the ammo box on the back. Box holds additional 6 clips for a maximum of 77 rounds carried, which is pretty good for a heavy gun I think.
    59058.jpg59059.jpg
    That is one sweet looking Mech.
    Very cool! I like the reloading system. Functional and pretty damn cool to see in motion I would think ;)
  • L2KL2K0 Posts: 0Member
    how slow is it to reload a magazine ?
    looks it need lots of time.

that helps the feeling of "heavy thing"
    thanks guys

L2K, Probably in the 7-10 seconds range. This is a few dozen years in the future so the mechanical joints are pretty advanced.
    thank god midterms are finally over (most of them anyways) and reading week is here so I can finally work a bit on these things.

The modelling on the Kodiak is pretty much done. I really want to start trying to do some texturing before I run out of patience and start another model, lol. I decided I won't be adding a melee weapon to this one since it is already quite powerful for a gen 1 unit.

*digs up Mephs notes on texturing*
    59319.jpg
    Very nice, can't wait to see what you do for the textuers.
    *rubs his hands and sits back*
  • Ice-DragonIce-Dragon0 Posts: 0Member
    That's a really cool looking Mech you got there:thumb:
    thanks guys

ok, so started with the 185mm. Please bear with me since I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing. I'm still wondering if I should do mud for upper parts. I'm thinking that dirt wouldn't really make it that high up and only the feet/lower legs would be dirty.
    59659.jpg
    Nice Looking Gun.
    Nice textures mate! You're improving!