Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DAtlantis V6.0

SGA-3DSGA-3D0 Posts: 0Member
edited June 2017 in Work in Progress #1
Heyy

Im back again, with yet another incarnation of Atlantis. Everyone seems to be going the way of the Atmosphere version these days, and because I want mine to stand out from the crowd, Im going the way of Rainmaker.

Not much to show at the moment, free time is virtually non existant these days.

45794665uv8.jpg

82784922ac1.jpg

31715933hp8.jpg

44846103ds1.jpg

78793746kg3.jpg

Thanks

Chris
63397.jpg
Post edited by SGA-3D on
Tagged:

• Sly AssassinSly Assassin0 Posts: 0Member
    I love the buildings, the lighting etc is excellent on them
  • homerpalooza67homerpalooza67228 Posts: 1,891Member
    WOW!! :eek: your gonna put the studio model to shame!
  • Davide_sdDavide_sd4 Posts: 0Member
    I love to see different version of Atlantis. Keep up the good work!

You wrote about Atmosphere version and Rainmaker version. Well, i know about the existence of 2 versions of Atlantis, but i don't know who made one version, or the other version. Thank you for the information! :thumb:
    What i want to know is: what are the main difference beetwen the 2 version; i mean, why in the show was used 2 versions?
  • asddsa0147asddsa01470 Posts: 0Member
    what? I didn't know there was two Atlantis in the show, now I'm curious too.
  • the Animaniacthe Animaniac179 Posts: 138Member
    V6.0? Do you got now to model evry Screw?:flippy: Just kidding, looks great,:thumb: special the Lighting is wonderful!
  • hoktarhoktar0 Posts: 1Member
    Davide_sd wrote: »
    why in the show was used 2 versions?

Because of money? I guess?

It's the same with the daedalus, there are also at least 4 different meshes though the models look all the same.

But I wonder, are there really only two different Atlantis? Cause there is
    the beautifull Rainmaker/CIS Vancouver version,
    the ugly one which is just dark grey without any tex,
    and the Atmosphere Atlantis.
    Right?

Great to hear something from you again Chris :)
    One question, did you use Vray for you previous Atlantis versions?

This one looks really great already! Really looking forwawrd to seeing it finished!
  • homerpalooza67homerpalooza67228 Posts: 1,891Member
    They probably have a hi-res model for close ups, where they can turn off parts to save render time, and a hi-texture model for distance shots. Possibly a space version as well, with stardrive+shields.
    most likely the same with Daedalus- hi res with space textures, hi-res with atmosphere textures, and then low-poly models for distance shots.
    I wonder when theyll show the Phoenix?
  • KatykoKatyko0 Posts: 0Member
    great work love all the detail so far.
    didnt they also have another atlantis model for the asuran city because that looked totally different to the usual model?
    keep up the good work
  • AtlanteanAtlantean0 Posts: 0Member
    Wow! That looks awesome!! Love the textures and lights going on there! The windows look amazing.

Regarding the versions of atlantis, I saw at least 5 different versions, which are actually just two basic models and then they have like the striped down version, the full version, and so forth.
    To me the rainmaker version looks more like a ship than a city and the atmosphere version looks more like a city than a ship.

Anyway, can't wait to see more of this!!! :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]2 Posts: 3Member
    fantastic as usual chris!
  • SGA-3DSGA-3D0 Posts: 0Member
    Hey

Thanks all :)

@ Hoktar: Nope all standard Max materials. No fancy V-Ray or anything going on there lol.

Regarding the different versions of the city, there are two basic styles that I'm aware of, the Rainmaker version and the Atmosphere version. The rainmaker version is the most consistant from season to season, the style has remained essesntially the same since day one (although every now and then a high res tower from the centre of the city will end up on a pier for a close up shot). Ill see if I can get some screencaps of the different versions. In the meantime, I added another tower.

50071252lv9.jpg

10afu9.jpg
    Awesome work!
  • markmasseymarkmassey512 StaffordshirePosts: 586Member
    This is looking great so far. great to see so many people modeling atlantis..

I will ask this though. and to anyone else whos modeling atlantis and read this. Are you planning on having depth of field in your renders??? its an odd thing to say i know, but i always feel that because they dont do it in the show (and i know its because its in hd) But to me the shots lack the huge scale with everything crisp...

sorry that has nothing to do with your model, I cant wait to see more
    Okay....after some sifting:

ATMOSPHERE

1: This was the first version of the Atmosphere Model (as seen season 2):

atl_220_0342.JPG

2: Noticeably some parts of it are blatantly untextured and so the model was revised for S3:

galleryBIG_ATLcity_v05.0002.jpg

as seen as well in "Progeny"

atl_305_0160.JPG

atl_305_0975.JPG

3: This design remained the same throughout season 3, excluding the final shot of first strike, where it seems a lot of the central towers were removed:

atl_320_1912.JPG

4: For season 4, the design was further changed again, the details on the Control Tower Support Tower were moved further up and the cylindrical tower in the central complex that disappeared for season two reappeared, as well as the colour changing to grey and a stardrive being added:

atl_401_687.JPG

atl_402_0002.JPG

atl_402_0041.JPG

atl_410_591.JPG

5: And yet another version appeared during the 5th Season Mid Season 2 Parter, modified to match up with the latest version of Rainmaker:

48329843ko4.jpg

I am still in the process of gathering images of the Atmosphere version that shows the changes in design. Most obviously, there are 2 different versions, lit and unlit (windows) and simple modification to textures.
  • VilandraVilandra0 Posts: 0Member
    Looking good Chris!

Yeah, also the Season 1 Rainmaker model had what looked to be damage of some sort. One of the smaller piers looked to be broken off.
    I think thats also there in season 3 in First Strike too...
    thank you very much Chris for the great explanation about the difference!! :)
  • Alex McphersonAlex Mcpherson0 Posts: 0Member
    The bottom right pier in the last overhead shot. compare it with the same pier in the on-black shot. the pier is supposed to have the side 'cut off' or something - where as in that shot it is the same as the other 2.
  • moebiusmoebius0 Posts: 0Member
    Excellent work!

Cheers! — Moe
  • I really love the lighting. It gives the city "life" so to speak!
  • Dr LeeDr Lee2 Posts: 0Member
    Utterly beautiful man......
  • Ze AratlossZe Aratloss171 Posts: 0Member
    Its gonna look good. What happens to that spike that we keep seeing on the display screens through out the city?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]2 Posts: 3Member
    Awesome work!

Cant wait to see the end product!
  • NevetsNevets201 EarthPosts: 134Member
    Stunning work.

How far along did versions 1 to 5 get? It would interesting to compare them.
    Thanks everyone :) .

About the different versions, I'll put together a comparison of the different versions.

Some updates, not much though. I dediced to go with a night time lighting style. Ill render some brighter ones to show the detail.

31826741na2.jpg

83941945zr0.jpg

25262059lr9.jpg
  • asddsa0147asddsa01470 Posts: 0Member
    WOW! Your lights are really bring life to the city. So keep it up
  • Dr LeeDr Lee2 Posts: 0Member
    i... it.... beautiful.....the lighting is superb what lights are you using to get this effect?
    awesome renders!
  • VilandraVilandra0 Posts: 0Member
    Looks good Chris. Are those post effects something done in MAX, or is that PS?
    Thanks everyone :)

The post effects are done in PS, although some can be done in Max, such as the bloom effects. I was basically experimenting with various ways to enhance the realism of the image.

The lighting setup is a simple domelight setup with soft shadows. It cuts down on the rendertimes significantly.