Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DNear future mecha universe wips

• BerkutBerkut1 Posts: 0Member
    Monkey Boy wrote: »
    Yes, but can it dance like the car in the citroen ad?

lol, I don't think that ability was very high on the EU military's list of requirements from the engineers.

thanks hundred, I can see why, the thumbnails both have 2 legs and are both grey, lol
  • Monkey BoyMonkey Boy0 Posts: 0Member
    Okay, let's see if I can annoy you....
    The little (little being a relative term!) radar/comms dish mounted on the back, given the tech level of the rest of the mech's 'fittings', have you thought about a rectangulat flat-pannel phased array instead?

I guess one thing is that we all instantly recognise a radar dish when it is round, whereas a rectangle might not be clear what it is.
    hmm, I did the radar on the AA module looking at modern SAM vehicles, but I'll think about it. In the meantime here's a shot of the mixed armaments:
    56970.jpg
    Where's my sling-shot?

nahh, forget changing the dish, parabolic dishes are still in common use, as you say.
    If it works then use it, you don't have to go latest tech just for the sake of it.

I know the right-hand gun is still pretty powerful, but in terms of bulk it does look a little unbalanced don't you think?
    Could the right-hand support twin guns?
  • FreakFreak1088 Posts: 4,361Member
    This Mech is looking great!

you done a great Job so far.
    @MB, ....sling shot? I know what you mean about the size, I've been thinking about that too. I've already made the magnetic gun quite a bit smaller than it was, and I'll keep the atgm module on the other side, since it's heavier than the sam module. Also the balancing computer for the legs can to some degree offset the balance the other way. Lastly another module will be added on the back on the side opposite to the coil gun.

@Freak, thanks mate
    Berkut wrote: »
    @MB, ....sling shot?

Well, I'm not a particularly religous man, but I would have though most people had at least heard of the story of David & Goliath.

Yeah, I have no doubt that the systems would be able to manage balance, I was just thinking of visual balance - from the viewer's perspective.
  • docpricedocprice0 Posts: 0Member
    I hate to say it, and i dont know if there is any way to get around it. The Optics look way to verniable.

My Favorite line from a M1A1 Tank commander. I takes just one 3 cent. bullet to ruin $30,000 dollors worth of optics.
    yes...they do. But what can you do? Any sort of protection for the optics means they would be less effective. Besides this thing with all the modules has about 20 cameras.
    That's alot of backups.
  • MephMeph331 Posts: 0Member
    One can never have enough backups! Great progress btw. :D
    its not dead!....yet, lol. Sorry for the lack of updates guys, last year of college is insane. Anyways I've been thinking of a melee weapon, so decided to go with a spear type weapon. Introducing: Pneumatic Combat Lance tipped with a High Frequency Blade. This thing would cut a mech in half with a single swing and there aren't really any countermeasures to it like with ranged weaponry. The two main downsides are that it only lasts 2-3 strikes and of course getting this close to a mech, but around the corner encounters in our age of ranged weapons happen more than one would expect.(any ex mech warrior 4 players know what I mean).
    58441.jpg58442.jpg
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but a lance is a stabbing weapon - if you are going to swing it, it's a glaive or naginata - sorry! But c'mon, how about a vibro-hedge-trimmer, or chainsaw? :D

welcome back, nice to see an update. :thumb:
    Well....its mostly supposed to be used exactly like a spear/lance, especially good if the mech is in wheeled mode or running fast to add some momentum. The "cut a mech in half" was just an expression, lol. But potentially one can swing it too I guess. I was gonna call it a spear, but lance seemed more appropriate for a european unit.

chainsaw just seems too....low tech. My choise was really between some high frequency vibrating blade and something along the lines of a plasma torch (if I ever get around to making more mechs will prolly use that for one of them).
  • Nice going! There is a lot of work you've done there, and it shows.
    Congratulations.
    Nice progress mate! Love the idea of the lance!.
    Just a suggestion fo course, but If you want to keep it in a European flavour, you can call it a 'Hasta' or 'Pilum'. Hasta is the name for the stabbing spear the Roman soldiers carried, it later evolved into the Pilum with was actually a dedicated throwing spear with a soft 'neck' that would bend after impact so the enemy couldn't throw it back.
    you could have your lance put on a hydraulic mechanism for that ultra-nasty stabbing and even have it catapulted or detached in case it's a direct hit but embedded too deep into the other mech to cleanly pull it out in hectic close-quarters combat. In case the stabbed mech turns away from the blow, that it doesn't drag the attacking mech with it?
    I like the sound of that - a heavy duty, violent extention mechanism to thrust it out very fast and the plasma tip could help here too.
    thanks guys

err, the thrusting of the lance was part of the attack ideology all along...I suppose I just didn't really know the difference between pneumatic and hydraulic. Looked it up, seems hydraulics are way more powerful, so yea, will use that, thanks for the idea. I'm aware of those roman throwing short spears and was thinking about that, but I decided the fact that they're one time use is a drawback in this case. I kinda wanted the spear to be reusable at least a few times.

Right now it works more like a pike basically (I just like the lance in the context of knights cooler, lol). The tip activates (vibrates at huge frequency) and the spear mechanism extends the spear at huge speed and then almost as quickly pulls it back into normal position. Allowing the mech to attack the same opponent again, or if enemy is damaged enough, move onto the next opponent.
    I don't think you should over-engineer it, but have you considered something built into the tip that expands after penetration to do maximum damage to internal electronics etc, or perhaps spray plasma, or even acid into the enemy's internals? Or would this be breaking even the Mecha Geneva Convention?

Yeah, I agree the idea of mecha-knights jousting *is* pretty cool!
  • moebiusmoebius0 Posts: 0Member
    Very nicely done... good to see this develop from the earliest stages.

Cheers! — Moe
  • docpricedocprice0 Posts: 0Member
    Ok, i see what you have done there. A melee spike could have a number of different applications on the battle field.

lol a Mecha genieva convention. but knowing people that would happen, I would give your lance a explodeing tip. once its penetrates the object a cartrige in the tip then ignites and explodes causeing high amounts of internal damage. you say its only good for 2-3 times.

your not always going to spear the emeny mecha in the cockpit area but if you hit a servo, or the engine or a non vital spot, and explosive charge could just be enough to disable the mecha or remove it from the battle field.

either way nice work.
    thanks moebius

lol, mecha geneva convention. Yeah acid would definately be a bit too much. Honestly I don't know how any form of explosive or electronics could survive being in the high frequency blade while its activated. Nor do I really see a need for that. As it is it's quite powerful. Even if you don't hit the enemy pilot (which isn't that difficult really), its highly likely that you'll at least be able to stab the central torso which has a lot of sensitive electronics and such behind the frontal armour. That's why it has so much protection on front of central torso.

Maybe I'll reserve the idea of exploding melee weapon for another mech if I get around to doing some more. On the topic of which quite honestly as fun and educational as its been I'm kinda starting to get sick of this thing (damn it'll get finished some day club membership, lol). I want to start painting this thing using mephs teachings asap, but there's still so much modelling to be done. Maybe I'll start a second design before finishing this one. Haven't decided which nations mech I will do next.
    Hey, what's wrong with a M.G.C.? If ST can have treaties that limit cloaking devices, why not have the "Mecha Armarments Limitatation Treaty of (insert famous mecha battle here) It could be the MALTA convention - whereby you are completely free to explode, stab, shoot, or even tear your enemy in half, but you must not pour anything on him! Also, you must under no circumstances, stand on another mecha's toes while you are punching him :D

Gotta be a story idea in there somewhere...

And, even if you shelve this one for the foreseeable future - she still looks damn fine. :thumb:
    Very Nice mate, you done a great job with this.
    Monkey Boy wrote:
    Also, you must under no circumstances, stand on another mecha's toes while you are punching him :D

Now that sounds like an interesting Urban Combat tactic. Just step on the other Mech's foot and push him over. :devil:

@Berkut: Meph's teachings ey? Now I do feel like I need to start wearing a brown robe and retire to a small hut on a desert planet... :D
  • Mach CritMach Crit0 Posts: 0Member
    concerning acid, I believe that the mechwarrior board games have auto-cannons that use acid rounds. I don't think they have introduced them into the computer games, but there was alot of different munitions for a simple cannon.

I seem to recall something using a thermal lance, as well. Extremely high temp "sword" for melee work.

I guess that would be useful, when all your ballistic weapons had been exhausted and you were in slugging range...
    @MB, yes, well mech limitation treaty is one thing, mech geneva convention is just lol.
    under no circumstances, stand on another mecha's toes while you are punching him
    ROTFL

@Freak, thanks man
    @Meph, yea well I could never find a good tutorial that would explain specular and bump mapping to me in words I could understand, and u did it in like 1 page. Still have it saved as a doc file on my desktop, lol.
    @Mach Crit, melee weapons in mech warrior? huh, never even heard of that, but I suppose my knowledge is limited to the games
  • Mach CritMach Crit0 Posts: 0Member
    Well, specifically, the hatchetman and the axeman had (duh) axes of some sort. There was also the Ninja-to, which has a katana, and some of the others had swords/axes as well. There were even a few "impromptu" melee weapons, like a particular figure in battletech fiction that outfitted their atlas (assault mech 100 tons) with a morningstar fashioned from the head of a much smaller mech.

I know this mainly from a boardgame site (CSO News) that has a nifty gallery of mech figures in nice detail. I'm not much of a boardgame geek. (although I have built about 10 of the little metal mech figures, my faves).
    Today was working on giving a facelift to my old kodiak mech. This is a russian gen 1 unit. I probably won't be making proper textures for it since it will only really be used in the background. What do you guys think?
    58565.jpg
    That depends on how far in the background it will be... :devil:
    Seriously, the model's looking good but the textures are just slapped on. Definitely good enough for background material.