Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

2DBattlestar Galactica Vipers

• TalosTalos0 Posts: 0Member
    The Angel Birds are actually straight out of Macross. They show up in the very first episode flying a display in VF-1 Valkyries. What I did was update and adapt the scheme for the VF-4, as well as redo the insignia and crest to incorporate the plane. I have no doubt though that the original creators of the show had the thought of combining the Blue Angels, the Thunderbirds, and perhaps the JASDF's Blue Impulse to come up with it.

Variant VF-1A "Angel Bird" Valkyrie

I still have this plane open on my computer and I keep staring at the crest and logo that I drew both from scratch. I keep going "Wow, I did that, and in just a day?"
    I updated the "Compass Ghost" and Southeast Asia scheme VF-4s with new markings and such, as well as did up a squadron I've wanted to for awhile, SVF-143 Pukin' Dogs.

vf4compassghostpu4.th.pngthpix.gifvf4seacr9.th.pngthpix.gifvf4svf143oc5.th.pngthpix.gif
  • bbzwbbzwbbzwbbzw1 Posts: 0Member
    Looks good Talos. The Pukin' Dogs insignia looks incredibly good!
    Thanks, bbzw. I found scans of decals for a large-scale model aircraft online and traced and redrew them in MS Publisher, before importing into GIMP and cleaning the tail insignia up.
    Here's some more done

SVF-51 Screaming Eagles
    vf4svf51sk9.th.pngthpix.gif

Mod Lightning
    vf4modlightningwi8.th.pngthpix.gif

Let me know, bbzw, I can send you my drawn version of the Pukin' Dogs insignia if you want to use it on one of your fighters.
    Here's a preview of a multi-image set of VF-4s I'm drawing that are all related.

vf4svf84mc0.th.pngthpix.gif
  • How close to ready are those images?
    Ready in what way? That Vagabonds one is finished, I just need to do the others in the set and write up a backstory.
  • I didn't think the Vagabonds had a little Jolly Roger flag under the cockpit, or did they?
    They don't, but all shall be revealed in time. ;)
    And here it is, finished.

With the establishment of the UN Spacy forces, the decision was made to commission a squadron designated "SVF-1 Skull Squadron" as the flagship variable fighter squadron onboard the UNS Asuka II aircraft carrier. As a result of this, the former-United States Navy fighter squadron VF-103 Jolly Rogers was supposed to be disbanded but it was reformed instead with it's old designation and markings as SVF-103 Sluggers. The Sluggers fought through the entire course of the war, flying first the VF-0 and then the VF-1 series, before being equipped with the VF-4 in 2013. After only a year of flying the new plane, they were all repainted in an overall-gray scheme to replace the brown and white wartime one.

vf4svf103cfbrownxt4.th.pngthpix.gif

Later, during the expansion of the UN Spacy to equip the new Megaroad class colonization fleets, SVF-84 was stood up in 2016. Since SVF-1 still took the skull-and-crossbones lineage of VF-84, it was decided to return the squadron to an earlier era as SVF-84 Vagabonds, carrying markings not seen since the early 1960s.

Both these squadrons were authorized to carry a small Jolly Rogers banner underneath the cockpit in all paint schemes to honor their heritage carrying the bones.

th_VF-4SVF-84.png
    th_VF-4SVF-103.png

In the 2030s, after the release of the feature-length film "Do You Remember Love?", the UN Spacy decided to bring back the markings not seen since SVF-1 departed Earth in 2012 with the failed Megaroad-01 mission. Thusly, SVF-103 was redesignated "SVF-103 Jolly Rogers" and remarked with their old skull markings and fuselage banding.

th_VF-4SVF-103JRwhite.png
    th_VF-4SVF-103JRyellow.png
  • CASUAL OBSERVERCASUAL OBSERVER171 Posts: 0Member
    Oh, please do SVF-102 Diamondbacks. :devil: I especially like the colors on their FA-18F CAG bird.
    I may or may not be already planning and have data gathered for that particular bird. ;)
  • XRaiderV1.7XRaiderV1.7226 I have absolutely no ideaPosts: 1,074Member
    sweet fighters!.
  • Talos, are you having problems with Imageshack?
    No, not really. What problems are you having?

EDIT: I'm fixing them.
    Due to the difficulties with Imageshack that I'm having, here's mass upload of most of my recent planes.

th_VF-4CompassGhost.png
    th_VF-4ModLightning.png
    th_VF-4SEA.png
    th_VF-4SVF-51.png
    th_VF-4Angelbirds.png
    th_VF-4SVF-143.png
    Wow, your putting a sweet collection together!
    Yeah, when I get some more done I definitely have to do an en-masse poster of them like BJ did with his Vipers.

I went ahead and updated the F-14NGs I've done so far with some of the tricks I did with the VF-4s recently.

th_F-14FJASDFblue.png
    th_F-14FVF-31.png
    Those look good, especially the cockpit. I think the panel lines could be dialed down a smidge on the Japanese one, and the shadows look a little off on the missile pylons- the shadowed area looks totally in line with the one on the main body (does that make sense) and it's sort of difficult to distinguish.
    Thanks, bbzw. I'm really happy with how the cockpit turned out. If you look really closely, there's fully written data plates on each seat underneath the ejection warning. The front landing gear is about half-colored, still needs shading too, and I can drop it in. Still need to finish the rear landing gear lineart though too. The reason the panel lines look that pronounced is that they're integral with the edging, so I can't reduce their opacity right now. I am working on seperating them, but there are some snags, particularly where they overlap with the pylons and the horizontal tail.

Now as for the shadows there, seeing as I haven't added in any for the pylons yet, that's probably a good reason they don't like up yet. :D I also need to add shadowing on the forward fuselage from the intakes, the shadow inside the intake, and the shadowing from the wing gloves. Oh, and the vertical tail too.

Lots of work to do yet, but it's getting there!
    th_VF-4SVF-1.png
    th_VF-4SVF-114.png
    Updated the SVX-4 Ferris scheme VF-4 to the current standards with background and signage. Hopefully I'll get a couple Max/Milia birds done this weekend. Hmm, Dancing Skulls...

th_VF-4FerrisSVX-41.png
  • TovetteTovette5 Posts: 13Member
    Talos wrote: »
    Updated the SVX-4 Ferris scheme VF-4 to the current standards with background and signage. Hopefully I'll get a couple Max/Milia birds done this weekend. Hmm, Dancing Skulls...

th_VF-4FerrisSVX-41.png

Okay, this color scheme is just outright badass. It drips badass. It says, 'look at me. I'm badass.'

I'm officially inspired. I'll have to put a mental not in my head for that color scheme when I make fighters. That's way hot.

Goodjob, Talos :thumb:
    Thanks, Tovette!

Everyone loves the Ferris. ;)

When you do decide to do the scheme on something, I have the FS 595B color codes and their RGB values for this scheme if you want them.
  • TovetteTovette5 Posts: 13Member
    Talos wrote: »
    Thanks, Tovette!

Everyone loves the Ferris. ;)

When you do decide to do the scheme on something, I have the FS 595B color codes and their RGB values for this scheme if you want them.

That would be awesome!
    Okay, they are:

The base light gray is Light Gull Gray FS 36440. RGB is 182, 181, 176. Hex is B6B5B0.

The medium gray on the lower surfaces is Dark Gull Gray FS 36231. RGB is 136, 139, 141. Hex is 888B8D.

The dark gray on the upper surfaces is Medium Gunship Gray FS 36118. RGB is 103, 108, 115. Hex is 676C73.
  • Hey, Talos, do you want try making a Lightning based off of the image attached below?
    Sure, I can whip something out, it'd just be a color variation of the FB2012 Skulls I did already.
  • Okay, to explain why I want this, let me ask you a seemingly stupid question: have you read Dragonlady of Macross over at fanfiction.net?