Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DClassic Space Lego - Galaxy Explorer WIP

stonkystonky350 Posts: 489Member
edited February 2014 in Work in Progress #1
One of my all time favorite Classic Space Lego kits as a child, WIP:

attachment.php?attachmentid=54384&stc=1&d=1215300824
104563.jpg
Post edited by stonky on
Tagged:

• BerkutBerkut1 Posts: 0Member
    heh, thats pretty cool, good work so far. Are you going to make the landing pad and the car too?
  • ChrisGFXChrisGFX362 GermanyPosts: 607Member
    oh wow ... I have played with that LEGO parts when I was a child too. I still have them for my Grandson and they still looking like new... :D

Great Work

Chris :)

*EDIT* I found this nice one at YouTube:
    YouTube - Lego Galaxy Explorer Assembly :D
  • stonkystonky350 Posts: 489Member
    Thanks Chris - my son has mine. :)
    Berkut wrote: »
    heh, thats pretty cool, good work so far. Are you going to make the landing pad and the car too?

Absolutely! I've already got the car and the men finished.
  • FreakFreak1088 Posts: 4,361Member
    Man that almost looks like a photo.

I remeber playing with the Space Lego, though I had more of the City stuff. I will be giving it all to my son when he's old enough. :D
  • MephMeph331 Posts: 0Member
    Dude! Amazing! :D This brings back such a long-forgotten childhood memory, it hurts me poor brain, it does! Damn you! Damn you all to hell! :devil:
  • Mikey-BMikey-B0 Posts: 0Member
    Wow, that looks good! I remember playing Martian Chronicles with mine. I still have all the lego pieces in my parents' attic.
  • DanDan0 Posts: 0Member
    Pretty cool. I made a Lego Star Wars Rebel Runner a while ago, it's on here somewhere. Might seem like a silly question, but how did you show the tiny gaps between each block?
    Dan wrote: »
    Pretty cool. I made a Lego Star Wars Rebel Runner a while ago, it's on here somewhere. Might seem like a silly question, but how did you show the tiny gaps between each block?

Thanks, I saw your lego work, very cool. The tiny gaps between the pieces come from the bevelled edges. The pieces butt together but the tiny bevel helps to add the subtle separation, I think:

53892d1214418057-classic-space-lego-galaxy-explorer-wip-lego_bevel.jpg
  • TovetteTovette5 Posts: 13Member
    Wow that's great! I remember my brother got the galaxy explorer for christmas and I got a moon base or something. I liked mine but I was so jealous of my brother. The Galaxy Explorer was legendary.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]2 Posts: 3Member
    Wow, this brings back memories! I had that kit! Coolness...
  • mattcmattc181 Perth, AuPosts: 322Member
    Ahh, the old LL928....

M
  • biotechbiotech171 Posts: 0Member
    Excellent, I cant wait to see the transparent yellow peices.

You could always bumpmap the lego logo if you didnt fancy modeling it on every bump.
  • Ares BlackmaneAres Blackmane0 Posts: 0Member
    Damn, I so wanted this particular set as a kid. Got several of the smaller ones though.
    I have a "lego" displacement map on every little "bump" or "button" or whatever they're called - but I turned them off for now just to speed up the renders. I'll start on the transparent yellow pieces and work on texturing the pieces that had images (computer consoles, "LL 928" piece, etc.) soon.

This, to me, was the crown jewel of the classic space lego line. You could drive a car up and into the back - how cool is that?!! :) There were so many good pieces in this set, and the ground plates were awesome. I wish that Lego would re-release some of this stuff, I'd be all over it.

attachment.php?attachmentid=53915&stc=1&d=1214483269
    I have a ground plate with a crater on that I picked up at a car boot sale.

I thought I would be quids in on ebay, but they arent worth that much, despite being out of circulation for 30 years or more.
  • MajorPayneMajorPayne0 Posts: 0Member
    Utterly impressive. As having the slightly smaller ship (LL918 in the UK) I can definately appreciate this WIP.

I'm surprised no-ones thought about releasing a large scale pack of 3d lego pieces.
  • spudmonkeyspudmonkey0 Posts: 0Member
    I've still got all of my original space lego at my parent's place, including this kit :D Nice job so far, although the plastic is a little it too shiny at the moment
    spudmonkey wrote: »
    ...although the plastic is a little it too shiny at the moment

I agree completely.
  • SastreiSastrei171 Posts: 0Member
    Very impressive work! Would you be willing to post more wireframes of the more complex pieces, such as the door and hinge bricks?

-Stefan-
    Sure, I'll post some when I get home tonight, and thank you. :)
  • OzylotOzylot332 Posts: 0Member
    Nice work! I think I had that one too!
    spudmonkey wrote: »
    I've still got all of my original space lego at my parent's place, including this kit

You know if you have the boxes and instructions you could probably sell them on ebay for enough to buy a car.
  • B.J.B.J.1 Posts: 0Member
    stonky wrote: »
    This, to me, was the crown jewel of the classic space lego line. You could drive a car up and into the back - how cool is that?!! :) There were so many good pieces in this set, and the ground plates were awesome. I wish that Lego would re-release some of this stuff, I'd be all over it.
    Nice work! I agree about all the good pieces here. The modern Lego stuff all has too many specialized pieces in them so that you can't re-use them much.
    That's so true - a lot of today's lego is so specialized that it blurs the line between lego and a snap together styrene model kit, and that IMHO limits the playability.

Here are some wires for some of the more unique pieces:

attachment.php?attachmentid=53942&stc=1&d=1214528757
  • OzylotOzylot332 Posts: 0Member
    I entirely agree!! ^

Ah yes, the classic pieces. :thumb:
  • SastreiSastrei171 Posts: 0Member
    The edges/chamfers are their own smoothing groups then? I see a bunch of ngons that should be problematic for smoothing but don't seem to be. I thought it would detract from the model, but it certainly doesn't seem to.

-Stefan-
    Thanks, yeah, it seems to be working out.

attachment.php?attachmentid=53944&stc=1&d=1214540481
  • cosedimarcocosedimarco171 Posts: 0Member
    Well Done! :thumb:
    It takes me back to my childhood.
  • somacruz145somacruz1450 Posts: 0Member
    Looks totally like the real thing :thumb: I also used to play with LEGOs :D I don't recall this model but I knew that I wanted it :D (I was obsessed with space stuff). Keep up the great job !
  • FreakFreak1088 Posts: 4,361Member
    B.J. wrote: »
    Nice work! I agree about all the good pieces here. The modern Lego stuff all has too many specialized pieces in them so that you can't re-use them much.
    stonky wrote: »
    That's so true - a lot of today's lego is so specialized that it blurs the line between lego and a snap together styrene model kit, and that IMHO limits the playability.

Here are some wires for some of the more unique pieces:

attachment.php?attachmentid=53942&stc=1&d=1214528757

I agree with that. I don't think they use thoes peaces anymore.
    I boguth the last fire truck for my son and it's got no door on it, just a hole.
    to get the mini man out, you have to take the roof of the cab.
    with the old town toys it be a peace that would swing up.