Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DNear future mecha universe wips

• BerkutBerkut1 Posts: 0Member
    thanks liam, I don't intend to change this gun module other than further detailing and ammunition. This can also to some degree of effectiveness be used against low flying aircraft, where a heavy anti mech gun can't.
    By popular demand some heavy anti-mech technology. This anti armour missile module is specifically designed to defeat the heavily armored mech units.......that is, if it can get past all the other mechs defences.

...I really gotta stop making weaponry and do some work on the core unit..
    53567.jpg
  • MephMeph331 Posts: 0Member
    Good job man, now that thing is packing some serious punch... :thumb:
  • Mach CritMach Crit0 Posts: 0Member
    Berkut wrote: »
    what's A1?

Sauce that goes good on Steak! Also means Excellent.

OK, I'm diggin on the upper weapons mount! This really packs a punch and beefs it up quite a bit.
    oh, thanks guys

also if anyone has any suggestions for cool modules, I'm open to ideas. So far on the drawing board:

- Pneumatic spear with a high frequency tip (melee weapon, can cut a mech in half with one blow)
    - Anti mech coil gun (this will prolly take 2 hardpoints due to high recoil)
    - Electronic warfare module
    - Jump/Short flight module that will take up 2 rear hardpoints (This is a big maybe, I'm not sure if I want to do this at all)
  • docpricedocprice0 Posts: 0Member
    Shoulder Mounted missle system, make it happen.
    docprice wrote: »
    Shoulder Mounted missle system, make it happen.

Uhhh, those aint bagpipes on the left shoulder, ya know.:lol:
    lol yeah, I have a SAM module on one shoulder and an anti armour missile module on the other
    I was reffering to the Cruise missile type. DUHHHHH. lol.
    hmm, interesting, I wasn't going to do something like that. It seems like it would be a waste of a forward facing hardpoint that would be best reserved for direct fire weapons, but I could put something like that on the rear hardpoints, since cruise missiles from surface systems are generally fired vertically anyways, thanks for the idea.
    Well, everyone seems to focus on the offensive weapons systems like the cannons and missiles. Yours has sprouted a few electronic command and control systems. You could do more with that as well. Things like a laser targeting mount on a rapid turntable or some kind of ECM gear.

Another thing no one thinks about is ablative armor or reactive armor. I have always wondered what reactive armor would look like as well as how you mount replacements after a particularly heavy mission.

An articulated cockpit cover would also be pretty cool. I imagine the chest opening forward and down with some locking latches and seals. When opened, you would see all the instrumentation on the clamshell itself and a formfitting cockpit/seat for the pilot.
  • kborakkborak1 Posts: 0Member
    wow this thing is awsome. But I dont think i would want a mech this small with out jump capability. The ability to move around the feild fast would be the one true advantage to this chasis I feel.
  • QuiarcusQuiarcus1 Posts: 0Member
    First off Berkut, I have to say awesome work so far. I really like the sensible approach you're taking to mech building with more realistic calibre weapons etc. Personally, I would steer clear of the jump jet idea. It's always bothered me - just the idea of gaining enough thrust to be able to propel who knows how many ton's of metal into the air for any period of time (let alone control it once it's airborne) seems a little outlandish - and I imagine it would be a very limited use item unless you intend to strap alot of fuel onto the mech or have a more exotic power source.
    As for the forward hard points, you're ideas are pretty good - though I imagine the opportunities for mech on mech close combat would be few and far between. I'm with Mach Crit on this one - perhaps a laser designator of some kind or an ECM or comm's module for C&C, or possible some tool for clearing debris or difficult terrain out of the way (a manipulator arm, or perhaps some sort of chainsaw for anti tree duties :D)
    Just my 2 cents. Either way, love what you're doing so far and look forward to seeing some more.
    lol Anti infantry version

Mortar launch system on his back.
    shoulder mounted Twin 20mm Vulcans( 4 total)
    2 35mm chain guns on arm hard points
    2 40mm automatic granade launcher underneath the chain guns.

lol thats alot of pink mist.
    Hee hee hee, good one doc! I like that idea! :thumb:
    ^ hehehe :devil:

OBTW I love Mecha and Mecha varreints, especialy the ones with more realisim involved. I really like the ones from Heavy Gear, also maybe limited articulated hands like a crab claw or a talon configuration for derbis removal. Think Mini subs with the robotic arm or the Bomb squad robots with the articulated arm.
    53620.jpg
    thanks for the comments guys, really appreciated

I guess I need to clarify a few things about where this is within my the universe that's in my head. The year is around 2040 (still to be decided) There are 6 major military/economic/political alliances on earth that occupy about 1/2 of the landmasses and the other half are nations that don't belong to any of the alliances. Although at the moment the alliances are in a state of relative peace with each other they have something of a cold war going on, as well as some of them are at war with some of the unallied nations. All 6 alliances right now have created these heavy mechanized units as something of shock attack force to cut the enemy lines apart and quickly attain victory. At this time they can not be employed in large numbers due to a 2 serious limitations: 1. The units are extremely difficult and expensive to produce and 2. Its very hard to find operators that can use the units to their full potential. Therefore at this time each alliance operates between 50-150 of these machines. They are a rare and at that a scary sight on the battlefield.

This unit I'm making now is for the European Union

And now to answer some things:

@Mach Crit, I will have an electronic warfare/ECM module. Also access to the cockpit is from the back. The back wall opens up and the seat slides back. There will also be an ejection system, which I have yet to develop and a manual exit door behind the camera module. Also I was very tempted to make reactive armour for this, but I'm keeping that for the next unit I want to make, that would be a russian one.

@kborak, thanks, its not that small, and its pretty fast and well protected. Also this is about as big as they get in my universe.

@Quiarcus, thanks. Yeah I dunno about the jump/flight module, I'm still thinking about it. Actually the thing about close combat is I'd have to disagree. I know it seems that way, but I used to play a lot of mech warrior 4 mercs and you'd be surprised how often you would end up running into a mech around the corner of a building and having to engage in a point blank range firefight.

@docprice, hmm, I may make a specific anti infantry module I suppose, but the cannons that are on it now would be pretty effective for that purpose too. I'll consider a utility claw as a part of the unit, but would be a waste of a hardpoint.
    Berkut wrote: »
    thanks for the comments guys, really appreciated

@docprice, hmm, I may make a specific anti infantry module I suppose, but the cannons that are on it now would be pretty effective for that purpose too. I'll consider a utility claw as a part of the unit, but would be a waste of a hardpoint.

Then intergrate the claw and cannons together. Have your cannon on top then with a simple houseing addition you have your hydrolics and cable system to opperate the joins and fingers / claw
    a small, and at that rather uninteresting, update (sorry guys, no new weapon modules, lol). Worked on the ball joints for the legs. And did the small engines for the ejection pod. Ejection system operates by using small charges to throw the cockpit module back, and then the small jet engines ignite and send the module flying at which point the parachutes deploy.
    53679.jpg
    nice, looks like a counter rotateing servo motor for the legs.

maybe bulk it up alittle to give the impresion that its a self contained unit external of the main torso.

instead of a suit deploy how about a bubble system like in the mars lander vehical. Where a series of shock absorbant bubbles deploy encaseing the occupant. That way the ejection system can fire back and at a angle instead of back and straight up.

option #2
    Demolition Man style safty foam that deploys and hardens in seconds creating a highly shock amd impact absorbant barrier.

Until you get into head mounted cockpits like in Battle Tech/ Mech Warrior i think ejection seats fireing straight up is bad joo joo.

on a side not i am really likeing this project and wish i could do more to help you out.
    thanks, any and all feedback is already most helpful as it gives another perspective. It doesn't fire exactly straight up, more like back and up. Firing straight up would be kinda useless in a land battle since you want to be as far away as possible from where you were forced to eject. I may have not been completely clear before, sorry. Image attached shows the trajectory of the module as it leaves the mech. I'm not sure what you mean about the mars lander, you mean the whole thing would be jet propelled at 45ish degree angle straight out of the mech? The structural design of the unit doesn't allow that.
    53686.jpg
  • kborakkborak1 Posts: 0Member
    ok knowing that then jump jets are prolly not all that nessicary then
    I'm still not too sure about jump jets, they are definately a cool toy, but I don't know how far that will bend the realism line, or whether I want that in this universe at all. I guess when I decide on the power source and estimate the weight of the mech I'll decide.
    Ow here's an idea for ya. Having that thing hop around like a bunny with jump jest might clash a bit with the otherwise very realistic design philosophy you've got going here. But why not have an airdrop package? Y'know russians used to airdrop light tanks and APC's, they had like three big braking parachutes and some braking rocket engines to avoid them from making a big hole in the ground. You could make something like that? Some rocket module that allows the mech to walk out of a flying cargo aircraft, drop safely to the ground, drop the engines and walk on...:D
    that will likely be on my to do list, the only concern being I'll need to make a new cargo aircraft cause I doubt even an AN-225 could accomodate this thing.
  • FreakFreak1088 Posts: 4,361Member
    I like the jump engines, but I look forward to seeing what you come up with.
    Referance Gasaraki, anime seris. The moble units are almost as tall but they are in a squating posistion and on a load palet that slides into a Airforce C-5 varient. So sit on the ground and bring your knees to your chest with your feet flat on the ground. that will cut your hieght in half. Tha rear cargo doors open the release latch is then activated and the load pallet slides on the rail out the back of the aircraft. Once the tether is broken the tie down clamps release and load pallet falls away from the mecha, then right after that you can have a 3 parachutte system engage and then relase about 20 meters from the ground. Open schute release detachable rockets will fire to slow the rate of decent down on the last 20 meters so a managble impact that will not reduce mission effectivness.

Chew on that for while and see if you like.
  • chronochrono0 Posts: 1Member
    Basically like the old Jeep drop scheme.

Glad the design is still moving forward! Only thing I would add would be a chaffe/smoke screen CM and a single tube mortar, because if these things have speed then they can use it for added effect for softening up dug in positions or hitting 'over-the-hill' guided ordnance positions. Also is it gonna have anti-rocket/missile defenses?
    @docprice, I'll consider that, thanks

@chrono, umm, it has smoke grenades and anti-missile active and passive defences...

that's not a bad idea, mortar, could put it onto a back hardpoint too, thanks
    Did some work on the coil gun. Occupies 2 hardpoints and is probably the largest/most powerful weapon available to european operators. It's essentially a mech sniper rifle because of its low firing rate, high energy consumption and it's big and cumbersome really messing up the units manuverability/speed. But it can rip apart even the toughest armour with little effort.
    53721.jpg