Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DNear future mecha universe wips

BerkutBerkut1 Posts: 0Member
edited April 2011 in Work in Progress #1
I've been playing around with this mech shape for a bit now but haven't had the chance to actually start working on it until now. This is basically how it stands at the moment, mostly placeholders as you can tell, but gives a rough outline of the design. I was originally going to make it capable of flying, but now decided against that. Also I want to make the whole armament system modular similar to AC. Hopefully will post more soon. Critique as always welcome.

Edit

Some universe info:

Map of the various factions: Scifi-Meshes.com

Faction overview: Scifi-Meshes.com

Technology overview: Scifi-Meshes.com
75526.jpg
Post edited by Berkut on
Tagged:

• BerticusBerticus171 Posts: 63Member
    Touch of a Tau Broadside suit in there. Actually there are a ton of similarities. You might look it up. :shiner:
  • chronochrono0 Posts: 1Member
    Berticus, you do know that since it's a humanoid shape robot that the design has a blank space and you can copy/paste in virtually ANY humanoid design. "Touch of ______ in there."

;)
  • Mach CritMach Crit0 Posts: 0Member
    I like it alot. I do question the shock absorber things on the toes. Kinda reminds me of those spring jumping shoes you could get as a kid in the 60's (Never got the hang of those...). Will there be a "head" (swivel camera thing or actual humanoid mech head) atop the rectangular opening at the top of the "chest" between the cannons?

Chrono - I think every mech designer gets the same comments. You have arrived, however, when some one sees another mech design and says "Hey, that looks a little like the Berkut Heavy Walker..."
  • BerkutBerkut1 Posts: 0Member
    thanks guys. Mach Crit, everything is pretty much in really early stage at this point, I will probably be changing almost everything except the shape of the torso, and maybe the legs. There will be a "head", but it won't look like a human helmet, like gundam or something, but rather a camera/sensor module. Also heavy walker is like a working title, I haven't come up with a name for it yet.
  • docpricedocprice0 Posts: 0Member
    I would suggest and ankle support system rather that a toe. Take the side view of the ankle and foot, 1 or 2 shock absorbers from the ankle to the heal and 1 or 2 from the ankle to the front half. Then from the Front view from the inner side of the ankle joints both sides run shocks or struts to the front half of the foot. Or you can do 1 large shock from just below the knee at a slight angle to the top of the foot.
    Did some work on the torso. Shows you the hardpoint arrangement. Atm I think this will have 6 hardpoints the 4 you see facing forward, and the two you can kind of see facing back. The ones facing back are for additional ammunition, other equipment, or extra large weapons that may require more than 1 hardpoint to use. I'm also working out a system that will allow the unit to operate in 3 modes: artillery, assault and runner (smarter mode names may or may not come in the future).

1). Artillery mode would practically turn the mech into an immobile turret for maximum weapon stabilization, this will allow for more precise artillery/sniper weapon fire, and higher firing rates to be used accurately.
    2). Assault mode would be that standard mode you would expect a mech like this to be used in.
    3). The high speed mode would allow the unit to move around very fast while sacrificing manuverability and weapon stability.
    53325.jpg
    Added some defences to this thing. Radar for detection, a laser for interception. Smoke grenades and an optronic counter measures system. I know the laser has a blindspot directly in front of the mech. I don't want to put another laser in front of the radar, will probably come up with some sort of shotgun system for intercepting threats fired directly in front. Also put a trooper on the roof to show you the size. c&c as always welcome.
    53363.jpg53364.jpg
  • SamuraiSamurai185 Posts: 408Member
    Title fixed. :)
    "Perfect. Then that's the way it shall be."
    thanks Samurai, if anyone's interested MACU stands for Modular Armored Combat Unit, a bit lame I know, but I tried for like half an hour and couldn't come up with anything better
  • Monkey BoyMonkey Boy0 Posts: 0Member
    Mach Crit wrote: »
    Chrono - I think every mech designer gets the same comments. You have arrived, however, when some one sees another mech design and says "Hey, that looks a little like the Berkut Heavy Walker..."

IMHO, I quite liked the sound of that! The Berkut Heavy Walker - It;s more punchy than a MACU-2.

The Berkut Snow Leopard perhaps? ;)
    lol, it was Heavy Walker, I think he meant to say Berkut's Heavy Walker. I dunno it just doesn't sound very interesting or original. Also this will be more of a medium class of mech so heavy doesn't suit it. MACU-2 is like F-22 or M1A2, you know what it means but they also has more catchy names Raptor and Abrams. And well.....Snow Leopards are just cool....Also this will be a european unit, and the best western european armour makers seem to like to call their tanks with large cat names.
    Heh. Whatever you call it, It'll always be the "Berkut Heavy walker". I like MACU-2. That sounds real military and techie. Nifty details on the threat contriol system as well, although at the moment, the fine details on that little radome make it look tremendous (the radome looks a little like something atop a destroyer). I know further details on the chest and arms will bring everything back to scale.

By the way, a decent set of articulated arms will easily remove the sniper from the head region...
    I don't really see a point in articulated arms. Many franchises like to do that like gundam, armored core or macross because it looks cooler and more human like, but as far as I can tell there really is no benefit for a warmech to have articulated arms, all that would do is increase the effectiveness of recoil, thus reducing the rate of fire.
  • BerticusBerticus171 Posts: 63Member
    Berkut - I hope my comment was not recieved as a slight to you or your design.

Chrono - It wasn't strictly the humanoid shape I was speaking of. The huge double barreled guns coming over the shoulders had something to do with it.

Berkut - Very solid modeling you have. Plans for beveling or smoothing, rounding sharp edges or are those edges final?

Again, nice work.
    Articulated arms do have some use, more or less utility purposes, if large objects that need to be removed. You could also argue more versitility. Instead of changeing out the whole are unit one could simply replace the weapon system.

MAWP = "Modular Armored Weapons Platform"
    AASP = "Armored Assult & Support Platform"
    VWAS = "Veriable Weapons Assult & Support"
    WASP = "Weapons Auggmented Support Platform"

just a few more ideas to get the wheels turning.
    @Berkut - Remind me to stop being funny. One of your shots had a sniper on the roof for scaling. Without "arms", you couldn't flick him off easily :)

I agree with your point, however. I think the things I find funny are the hands. Unless you are carrying easily replaceable weapons (stuff you can pick up off the battlefield or re-holster to use a different weapon) then the hands are sort of useless. Why create a giant hand-held bazooka anyway? Sort of that screen door on the submarine concept...
    What about hand to hand combat. huh mister smarty pants. lol.
    Thanks for the comments guys,

Berticus, not at all, I see what you meant about the cannons. Besides it's practically impossible to make any sort of vehicle these days without it looking like something.

About the front edges, I think the design of the armour is final, it was meant to look similar to modern tanks.

About the arms, having hands just seems to have many more problems than benefits. The tech in this thing is only within 50 years into the future. So esentially the only truly groundbraking thing about it is the gyro system that allows it to walk, and run pretty fast with balance. Besides like I said, I guess arms as such could be useful for utility purposes like docprice mentioned, but I fail to see how they would improve performance on the battlefield, unless everyone used them so you could pick up enemies weapons of course. But in my universe only a few major superpowers have these things (I hope to make at least one for each) and they aren't really at war with each other.

Oh and @docprice, I have something planned for close quarters engagements too, no matter how rare they would seem.

@Mach, sorry, lol, I guess I'm a little slow sometimes.

Edit: to think of it, maybe I will make an arm module for utility purposes, we'll see. The whole point is that this thing is modular so w/e mission it needs to fullfil it can do by quickly changing modules.
    25 mm chain gun with 6-8 rotateing barrels. gogogo
    @docprice, hehe, that is definately on my to do list

Wanted to start out easy with the weapons and did a simple medium size auto cannon. But I think I got a little carried away. This was supposed to be one of the lightest weapons available, but by the time I got to doing ammo storage I realised the hardpoint is probably already barely holding this gun in place, so for now it has very little ammunition. This is basically supposed to be a light weapon of armour piercing capability, similar to guns you see on modern day IFVs like Bushmaster II or Bofors 40mm.

Also added the camera module and the 2 long poles on the sides are cameras that allow it to look around objects, ex. over hills, or around a building in urban environments.

I still can't figure out where to put active defences to cover the lasers blind spot.
    53424.jpg
    Small update today. Did an early design of the feet, I'm not too satisfied with them atm, but not too sure what's wrong. Also a few minor things: some extra cameras in case the "head" gets knocked out, and a periscope in case all cameras get knocked out, or electronics get fried or something. I'm thinking ball joints for the ankles.

C&C as always welcome.
    53485.jpg
    While I understand about the cannon being barely held by its weapons mount, I also feel the cannon is way too small in comparison to the rest of the unit. I am sure it is to scale, but you could also beef up the mount (2 horizontal flanges holding the vertical shoulder joint to the horizontal shoulder joint) would give the appearance of more strength. It would also beef up the way the shoulders look.

Feet are interesting, but once again, seem a tad small in comparison to the rest of the mech. I like the spring and "reacto-motive" band connecting the toes to the foot.
  • MephMeph331 Posts: 0Member
    Nice build you got going here. I like the design a lot but I'd have to aggree with Mach Crit, the guns are looking good and I like the realistic proportions but it does seem a bit of a puny weapon setup for such a relatively large body.
    An alternative might be to incoprorate the two guns in one dual mount, that will immediately give some more volume and balance to the look of it all. On the other arm you could put a missile launcher for anti-tank/aircraft/structure engagements.

Something like this springs to mind
    http://www.armyrecognition.com/Amerique_du_nord/Etats_Unis/vehicules_a_roues/Lav_variantes/LAV_TOW_Us_Army_05.jpg
    http://www.aaamodels.co.uk/List_Pics/ACE/ACE_72405_LAV-AT.JPG
    http://www.ipmsstockholm.org/magazine/2003/01/images/isaksson_lav-at_36.jpg
    http://www.armyrecognition.com/Amerique_du_nord/Etats_Unis/vehicules_a_roues/Lav_variantes/LAV_TOW_Us_Army_06.jpg
    http://www.armyrecognition.com/Amerique_du_nord/Etats_Unis/vehicules_a_roues/Lav_variantes/LAV_TOW_Us_Army_03.jpg
  • FreakFreak1088 Posts: 4,361Member
    Looks like you got a Mech, there.
    I like what Meph has surgessted for one of the arms.
    Thanks for the comments guys. Really appreciate the feedback.

@Mach Crit, I'm going for some degree of realism here, this is supposed to be a light cannon like those mounted on IFVs today:

brad8.jpg

As you can see by size comparison the gun on the Bradley is very small, but have you ever seen what it can do to lightly armored vehicles or buildings? This module really isn't meant to be that effective against other heavily armored mech units, it's more of an anti tanks, apcs, buildings, etc (Think of it as AC-2). Mostly for infantry support. I will be making other modules including a heavy gun module to defeat other mechs, just wanted to start with something simple. About the feet, really? I actually thought they looked kinda big in relation to the unit. Well they're still early, I might still change them.

@Meph/Freak, thanks, have no doubt that heavy weapons will be coming soon, hehe. But the missiles will probably be a top hardpoint mount. Apart from a heavy gun I have some other ideas for the side hardpoints.
    Maybe I should qualify: The whole foot looks like a good size, but each toe seems kinda long and fragile. Aside from that, the over all foot size looks good. There is also the idea that you are concentrating all the weight across such a small surface area. It's like trying to walk across sand in ice skates.

I understand the scale and the hitting power of such a small cannon. I am sure it is much more realistic than anything in Battletech in terms of cannon size. For scale, the AC-2 on most mechwarrior mechs could almost be an AC-10. I guess the artists never thought they looked "beefy" enough. Heck, the cannon on that bradley unit "looks" wimpy regardless of the impact it makes. I guess I have been spoiled by the mechs that can fire a volkswagen beetle from their weakest ballistic weapon and still call it a "light" autocannon.

I should probably just shut up and drool. Maybe it only sounds like I know what I am talking about to my ears :lol: ! It's already a better model than I can turn out on a good day and I seem to have stepped in something on another thread, so what do I know... :lol:
    Mach Crit wrote: »
    Maybe I should qualify: The whole foot looks like a good size, but each toe seems kinda long and fragile. Aside from that, the over all foot size looks good. There is also the idea that you are concentrating all the weight across such a small surface area. It's like trying to walk across sand in ice skates.

I understand the scale and the hitting power of such a small cannon. I am sure it is much more realistic than anything in Battletech in terms of cannon size. For scale, the AC-2 on most mechwarrior mechs could almost be an AC-10. I guess the artists never thought they looked "beefy" enough. Heck, the cannon on that bradley unit "looks" wimpy regardless of the impact it makes. I guess I have been spoiled by the mechs that can fire a volkswagen beetle from their weakest ballistic weapon and still call it a "light" autocannon.

I should probably just shut up and drool. Maybe it only sounds like I know what I am talking about to my ears :lol: ! It's already a better model than I can turn out on a good day and I seem to have stepped in something on another thread, so what do I know... :lol:

Hmm, that's a good point. I will look into beefing up the foot structure. But I think the surface area should be ok, we'll see how it goes.

Heh, yeah, I love battletech, well rather mech warrior really, I grew up on those games. And they have some really artistic touches, like most guns are too big, while most missiles are too small. But then again they never claimed it to be realistic anyways, the ammounts of damage those things could take was pretty rediculous. I also highly doubt we'd still have machine guns in the 31st century. Just a different universe really, I'm trying to take a much more realistic approach. I don't know what you're talking about dude, your battletech mechs are most impressive. Always glad to see more giant robots here on SFM.

Also I measured the gun taking into account the size of the mech, its around 80mm, considering its relatively high rate of fire that's pretty good. Esentially 2/3 the size of guns on modern tanks.

In the meantime, an anti-aircraft module:
    53535.jpg
  • Stev0Stev00 Posts: 0Member
    The design is A1. I like the simple elements making a complex armored platform.
    what's A1?
  • liam887liam887322 SwedenPosts: 575Member
    no i think the design looks solid and i wouldnt change the guns, they make it stand out from other mechs with un-realistic mega guns. I agree with the bradley concept, small gun but high power. The small guns also make it look faster and more agile rather than cumbersome and slow.