Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DWARHAMMER 40K Vehicles

BinkermanBinkerman0 Posts: 0Member
edited June 2017 in Work in Progress #1
I mentioned on my Space Marine thread, that Im having to split my 40K models into separate threads, since Im wanting to do some Vehicles & Creatures aswell, .... this also creates less confusion, and keeps things a bit more organised. But I will include links to my other 40K threads, since all are active atm under my Sig (when I get to it) ...

So Ive moved the Drop Pod pics over to this thread, and keep the Marine thread just for the Characters and accessories, like weapons/ stuff they wear & carry etc ....

I was initially going to start the new 40K Vehicle thread with the Warhound Titan, but decided on the Land Speeder first. Below is the TEMPEST variant, though I will also be doing the Typhoon & Tornado Classes that have the open cockpit armed with different weapons etc .....

Jas

I edited the Drop Pod pics to remove text reference to the Blood Ravens, since the Pods can be used for any Chapter.

DROP POD Info:

Drop Pods are one-way, sealed, armoured landing craft. Once released they plummet through the planets atmosphere, streaking through the sky, before firing retro jets that brake their decent before landing. Upon landing the pod opens to disgorge Space Marines in to the heart of the enemy.
52030.jpg
52031.jpg
52032.jpg
52033.jpg
Post edited by Binkerman on

• BinkermanBinkerman0 Posts: 0Member
    Last one for the Drop Pod pics atm, ... and the First WIP pic for the Land Speeder Tempest ... EARLY Stage atm ...

Jas

*EDIT* Updated the first Tempest WIP pic > post #26
    52035.jpg
  • Knight-TemplarKnight-Templar0 Posts: 0Member
    Binkerman, The drop pod i still beautiful, Im going to have to dig mine out. The land speader is looking good
    Great work
  • somacruz145somacruz1450 Posts: 0Member
    :o The Drop Pod looks absolutely gorgeous ! Killer details and textures man ! And the LST looks promising too. Keep it up, I can't wait to see the final version :thumb:
  • MephMeph331 Posts: 0Member
    Nice start mate! :thumb:
  • jimi kanejimi kane0 Posts: 0Member
    As always your work is excellent dude. :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]2 Posts: 3Member
    woot another wip by binkerman! Great work so far, although can the drop pod only hold 4 people? seems like a waste of resources
  • chronochrono0 Posts: 1Member
    *cough*

These are Space Marine drop pods. The troops aren't exactly wimps. Besides this is 40K when did realism every play a part in it's design!?!? ;)
    Thanks very much guys !! :thumb:.... That first WIP pic for the Tempest was just Screen Caps of the viewports in MAX, not actual renders yet, it was mainly just to show that it's been started and will see larger renders hopefully for the weekend ...

@ Knight -Templar:

I remember you saying you were going to do a Drop Pod, ... You should post your work Simon, I'd like to see that coming together as a WIP, get a thread started for it ....

@ Dallidas:

When reading some background Info on Space Marines you understand why they have this equipment, .... and below is a summary of what Ive read from various sources about them .... So dive into the 40K Universe for a sec >>

That particular Drop Pod holds five Space Marines, If you look at the base of the pod you'll see that its a Pentagonal shape having Five doors ... Drop Pods are not just restricted to Space Marines, ... There are variants that contain weapon supplies, Missile Launchers, as well as robotic Assault Cannons, once they land, the doors drop, and the Cannons let rip .... Larger Pods can hold a single Mech, like the Dreadnought. Plus the Pods are re-usable of course, and every Chapter has them as a standard part of their equipment.

The Orbiting ship's crew who monitor the Pods descent, transfer LZ data to the Pod and are launched on a set course directly into Enemy bases or ongoing battles termed DEEP STRIKING ...

Drop Pods are not just for any soldier to use, these are specially made for the Space Marines ... who are considered the cream of Mankind's fighting force against anything that threatens the existence of humanity throughout the Galaxy ... And as such, the Protectors of Mankind are afforded such resources .....

Will post an update on the Tempest Soon ...

Jas
  • ArmondikovArmondikov0 Posts: 0Member
    The Land Speeder looks like a good start. If it's anywhere near as good as the rest of the work it'll be something to be proud of, and of course, you have a marine mesh as a pilot already if you want to make an uncovered version.

Anyway, inspirational stuff. I may give a Land Raider Crusader a try (mostly on account of having just bought one), or a Master of the Ravenwing.
  • madmattmadmatt0 Posts: 0Member
    Very Very cool mate!!!

Nice job keep to post...

Bye
    I started over on the front section of the Tempest, as I wasn't happy with its structure ... So the pic below replaces the first Tempest WIP pic since its a new build ... Larger shot this time ...

@ Armondikov:

I'll also be doing a cockpit for this one ....

@ madmatt:

Thanks !!

Cheers Guys ...

Jas

*EDIT* Updated with Front Cannon corrected > Post #26
    Nice work man!

One major design flaw though. Where the autocannon is sticking in the hull, near the bottom part the hull is following the gunbarrel ring too closely, it's can't rotate at the moment :eek: Y'know, it's like a minigun with the 6 or 7 barrels spinning and the bullets being fired out of the bottom one...
    Thanks Meph !!, ... This is how it appears on the Forgeworld Physical Model ... I wasn't actually sure whether this thing rotated or fixed since all the refs I have indicate that it cant rotate (based off the physical model) ... but I see your point, ..

Ref pic of that Cannon Area at a couple of different angles from two different models, so the Cannon position is slightly different from each other but you can see how much clearence the Cannon has ....

The pic below is for you to check out Meph. I also included the Orth shot from the Imperial Armour Book ... see what you think ...

Im not too concerned about it, .. I just wanted to show you some refs and will make any adjustments needed for that area, while I work on the Top Half, ...

I'm on Auto-pilot right now as my brain has shut down due to lack of sleep .... So if you see any typos, or this crap doesn't make any sense, dont blame me :D .... ZZZ zz ZZ zzzzz

Jas
    52461.jpg
  • KadaeuxKadaeux0 Posts: 0Member
    Great work on the tempest so far matey :D
    Thanks Kitt, ... had a late night, ... so I'm half asleep atm ... :D

Jas
  • Lee80Lee80193 Posts: 458Member
    Definatly bad a$$.. nice work.
    Hmm indeed, the refs are a bit on the just-abit-too-tight side. They seem to have just a bit more leeway than your model but just barely. A soft suggestion, give your gun a bit more clearance and make the big barrel-end sperate like a muzzle just for the firing barrel so that you have 6-7 identical freeloating barrels that can rotate. The refs seem a bit unclear about that but I have a landspeeder model at home somewhere and if I'm not mistaken it has fully free rotating barrels and the big barrel is just something like a short flash supressor that is only the bit sticking out in front since behind it the barrels are spinning.

Just to make a gentle point, I'm not nitpicking here for a fully correct functioning gun but take a bit creative leeway to make it at least appear that it might work. :D One might start a whole other discussion about where the rest of that gun is sticking inside the hull and what the hell the pilot is sitting on when that gun also needs a firing and loading mechanism but that a whole other and a lot more inappropriate discussion considering the general design philosphy of Games Workshop, lol. I mean, how does one fit 10 fully equiped marines and a driver inside a Rhino transport? They sure must be very bendy and flexible, those marines. Sardines a la Astartes anyone? :devil:
  • DCBDCB331 Posts: 0Member
    Heh yeah the assault cannon in its various guises doesn't really make a lot of sense. Check out the dreadnought one attached - it looks more like a bunch of empty tubes strapped around a single barrel than a functioning rotary cannon/gatling gun. Probably only the early Terminator version actually resembled something realistic. It might be worth having a look at the Blur DoW intro again to see what they did with the assault cannon on their dreadnought.
    52469.jpg
    Thanks Meph, ... Should have realised its function is basically the same as a Minigun ... got it .... What was throwing me, was the two large hexagonal rings that encompass the barrels not being round, and looking at the refs couldn't possibly rotate with that clearence (either side), so I was unsure whether it was fixed or rotated, ... but now that's cleared up, .. just needs a couple of minor adjustments to make it look functional ...

@ DCB:

Cheers mate !!, .. was just replying to Meph when you posted, .. yeah Ive got it now ,... will be sorted and updated soon ...

Thanks guys for the feedback, appreciate it !! :thumb:

Jas
    No worries mate, just helping you to see the forest through the trees and nudging you along towards perfection :D
    Combined with the refs I was working from and Binkerman's Brain not plugged in, .. I was faced with a wall of Trees and no light switch to find the 'Common Sense' Button :D

Jas
    LOL, so you accidentally bumped into the 'what would McGuyver do on drugs' button instead? Gotcha ;)
  • KadaeuxKadaeux0 Posts: 0Member
    With the Assault cannon the "free-barrels" I think is less to increase the Rate of fire but allow each barrel to cool before it fires again to accommodate the rate of fire and reduce wear on the cannon barrels meaning it may take a couple of hundred thousand rounds to fuse/destroy the barrels instead of 1000..
    @ Meph:

Heh .. something like that ... If only I had some chewing gum, a safety Pin and a couple of sweet wrappers, I could have made that thing work using my McGuyver 'Ten easy steps to building anything' booklet ....

Better get back on track, Im hijacking my own thread. ... :D

@ Kadaeux:

Fortunately Kitt, I have a Ten year warranty on those Barrels :p

Jas
    Sorted the Front Cannon, which is now functional .... The 6 Barrels can rotate behind that fixed muzzle at the front without any obstruction, .. plus more accurate to how its supposed to be ....

Thanks again guys for the help on that part :cool: ...

Jas
    52472.jpg
  • ArmondikovArmondikov0 Posts: 0Member
    Kadaeux wrote: »
    With the Assault cannon the "free-barrels" I think is less to increase the Rate of fire but allow each barrel to cool before it fires again to accommodate the rate of fire and reduce wear on the cannon barrels meaning it may take a couple of hundred thousand rounds to fuse/destroy the barrels instead of 1000..

There's also an interesting bit of fluff that says that the barrels in the autocannon are regularly changed, usually between sorties/missions. So the "ten year warranty" may be a little ambitious!

Also remember that Warhammer stuff is about the only sci-fi where you can change the design slightly and people won't care much that it's not 100% can(n)on :lol:
  • Knight-TemplarKnight-Templar0 Posts: 0Member
    Binkerman, a beautiful piece of work, i do love what you create.
    great job on the gun! :thumb:
  • InaithInaith0 Posts: 0Member
    Ahem what to say except great job and keep everythings up :)
  • BorgManBorgMan209 DutchlandPosts: 581Member
    I'm not really into Warhammer at all, but your models look quite impressive. Are you going to make ships from other races like the Tau too?