Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

Local TutorialInteractive planet-creation tutorial

• aszazerothaszazeroth176 Posts: 209Member
    some more pages
    45917.jpg45918.jpg
    ... next one
    45947.jpg
    "Never give up, Never surrender"
    48282.jpg
    "when it rains it pours..."

More stuff in the pipeline... to bad my SVN Blender is acting up on me. Gotta fix that asap
    48284.jpg
  • captainkirkcaptainkirk171 Posts: 0Member
    Amazing results. You have to release a pdf tutorial on this.
  • vissroidvissroid0 Posts: 0Member
    very nice indeed. I should have done my tut a couple years ago. now that I've prob' forgotten most of it. since it was a couple years ago. lol but our styles are quite different and yet get the job done as well.

my style very much consisted of simply painting and textures in photoshop and using 3ds max as well to make these.
    50287.jpg
    Hey, vissroid, that is a really cool planet. How come you method differs so much ?! I am curious to how I might improve the tutorial and learn new stuff. I should upload the next part too, now that I am actually able to access SFM again after my ISP blockade
    Actually I was tempted to contact you on this in attempt to add yet another taste to the texturing process. i dont see very many good tuts up sites very much an this has been 0one of the most promising I've seen. I've even taking some notes on a different way to go about the land masses.

Mine has consisted mainly of digital brushing on a tablet and the use of textures to get my planet started. textures as simple as cracks outside on my sidewalk to space images taking of earth to get the feel of what things look from above(like the way mountains are shaped) to even try to get the feel of painting them even. r course without the use of using the texture in my brushes. and to give a much more fluid look to things fitting in the world.

I've ran into lunarcell many times before and never really experimented enough with it to have any great use. but you've giving me some new insights on testing it some more really. :D

tho' I've been separated from the art community for quite some time now I've seen in these last few days has been giving me some inspiration to start back up(I seem to have let myself a bit out of the loop in the last year). and seeing that there are good tutorials still showing up out there is promising on how to even improve my skills in a new way.

wow...lol. its late right now and I have to go to work in the morning and yet you started something in me off of a simple question. we may have to talk about this some more and share some insights. find how to give out to the art communities more than one way to get things done. :devil:
  • LonewriterLonewriter236 Posts: 1,078Member
    I haven't looked in this thread in awhile, aszazeroth, are you going to realease a .pdf of this? I would love to read it.
  • edwardgtxyedwardgtxy0 Posts: 0Member
    hmmm, need some suggestions. still seems to be a little weird... but i cant figure out whats wrong with it?
    50860.jpg
    bump/normal mapping seems insanely high and I'm not sure if the other bumps are supposed to be the clouds or not. if thats the case you either missed out on the defuse or opacity mapping for it I'm thinking. lol
  • edwardgtxyedwardgtxy0 Posts: 0Member
    what should be normally? like 10?
    vissroid wrote: »
    Actually I was tempted to contact you ...

You can drop me a PM in these forums if you like... I read them on the average once a day.

@edwardgtxy

Vissroid is quite right about the bump. I might elaborate some more in the tutorial appendix or in a more article style letter about the nature of maps and how they might interact. -IF- you go for a photoreal look, I suggest not having a bump at all, for a full disc render is the way to go. You have to go pretty darn close to a planet to actually resolve bump-i-ness. Even on smaller bodies like our moon, you need a pretty heafty magnification to detect "bump", although a smaller body have more elevation to radii ratio.

You might want to take a look at your atmosphere settings and the specular on land/ocean, but keep them renders churning out.

//Dr. Asz
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]2 Posts: 3Member
    Such good work here, I'm still new to all this myself. I've started with a few tutorials and had some okay results in trying to make a mesh of earth (i needed it for an animation project, another learning experiance heh) My problem is atmospheres. I'd like to try to get the correct glow, without having to do it in photoshop as all this is gonna go into a scene. If anyone knows of any tutorials, or maybe some settings I just don't know about I'd be appreciated to any insight anyone can offer.

Thanks. :)
  • su_liamsu_liam0 Posts: 0Member
    edwardgtxy wrote: »
    hmmm, need some suggestions. still seems to be a little weird... but i cant figure out whats wrong with it?

I don't mind the bump mapping. It's a little more than realistic, but not visually unpleasant. It looks like the water level is a little higher than the edge of the land. There looks like a vast wall of water around the low coasts.

Lower the water level, maybe reduce the bump amplitude a bit and it should be good.

If your going for fullan hard realism, remember that in scale the Earth is about as rough as a cue-ball.
  • sggrafixssggrafixs0 Posts: 0Member
    Your surface is chopy and not properly spherlized, your shadow is overcontrasted and your glow is messed up. Make the inner glow a more realistic color and larger and fix the outer glow. I got some photoshop tutorials on this site if you need some help. That is, if you did it in photoshop.
  • Chris VickersChris Vickers0 Posts: 0Member
    Sir, would it be possible to get a pdf or Word Document of the information? Trying to put together a manual on a DVD for private use ONLY. I have no intent to redistribute it.
    The PDF is the intended final format of the tutorial... I just have to finish off the last pages and add some cool stuff to an appendix. Time is my enemy here since I do all this on my spare time. But things are chilling down at work before the summer, so I might find time to finish it off soon.

//Aszazeroth
  • LonewriterLonewriter236 Posts: 1,078Member
    what happen to the pics on the front page? I am starting over on my planet and need to know the size to make my alpha map.
    hmm, have to check it out, but the tutorial pages, should superceed the older page <5 figures. The size of the alpha is sort of dependent on how close you wanna render them beasts. Recommend atleast 4096x2048 px.
  • efritschefritsch0 Posts: 0Member
    Can anyone help me out with how to create a cloud map that pretty much covers 100% of the surface? Kinda like Venus?
    How detailed do you need that cloudmap to be ? I would suggest stacking individual cloud maps if you need massive detail, or, do a clever noise/smoke displacement in your 3D program. Perhaps an amalgam of the both is to be preferred... I will try and post the results =)
  • efritschefritsch0 Posts: 0Member
    Not terribly detailed but seeing as anything to do with maps, textures, etc, baffles the snot out of me, any help would be great.
    It's interesting to see an example of just how much relief can be seen from space. Here is a shot from the ISS: The Alps
  • VertexMonkeyVertexMonkey171 Posts: 4Member
    su_liam wrote: »
    It's interesting to see an example of just how much relief can be seen from space. Here is a shot from the ISS: The Alps

That's pretty impressive! Mind you; a 800mm super-telephoto lens is a hell of an upgrade on the Mk 1 eyeball ;)
    True... true. But imagine your doing a gunport view in a battle between a ship at 12,000 km and a ship at 100 km altitude is the target. The gunscopes on a ship in Traveller or Starfleet Battles have got to be at least super-telephoto.

Now for a Firefly shot. I'd say from the jiggle it's at least a little telephoto. Last night I watched an Olympic medal ceremony. They zoomed in on the gold medalist from so far out and apparently the cameraman had too many double espressos. Made me pine to watch me some Firefly. Then I put on some Battlestar Galactica. Up till two in the morning working off that jones. ;)
    Bah, damn reallife(tm) caught up with me big time and I fell off the radar there for a while. Sorry about that, but that keeps happening to me =)

Anyway, I am known to be a resilient guy, so here is the next page. (I hope this tutorial really get finished soon =) )

Cheers
    //Dr.Asz
    57590.jpg
  • Davide_sdDavide_sd4 Posts: 0Member
    Very interesting, thank you!
    You talked about cloudbump map for the low orbit shots. Can you explained more about this?
    Howdy folks...

I have now compiled the PDF that was sort of promised in the beginning of this thread. I took me darn long time, I know, but ye' ol' old timers know that I tend disappear and the re-appear without any real warnings =)

You can download it from here (temporary storage, will edit this link if place changes)

http://pc213.astro.lu.se/~stefan/drd/tut01_v1_0.pdf

Now, I will go through this thread and my PM box and try help ya'll with those more detailed questions.

Cheers
    //Dr.Asz
  • Davide_sdDavide_sd4 Posts: 0Member
    Awesome!!!
    Thank aszazeroth!!