Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

Nugget starter kits - new to cg? READ THIS FIRST

HundredHundred268 Posts: 1,021Member
edited January 2015 in General Discussion #1
When I first started out down the road of CG artistry, I got lost. I mean there I was, a bad ass free-hand artist, who decided to put down his pencil, and trade it in for a mouse, but who only had no more than six months of computer experience behind him. I had no clue as to where to start, or even where to look. I did'nt even know what a search engine was, hell if someone would've told me to Googleit back then, I probably would've punched them in the mouth. So what did I do you ask? Well, I took a job as a volunteer computer tutor, who learned as he taught; and eventually I stumbled across the Rhino3d.com site, where I downloaded my first trial version of Rhino 3.0. Well a lot has changed since then, for one, I no longer have the desire to punch people in the mouth when the tell me to Googleit, and I have acquired many 3d modeling applications; free as well as paid for. You may be asking yourself, "What the hell is he gett'n at?" or "What is that GODLY-TALENTED, ARTIST-KING trying to say?". Well I'm glad you asked. In this thread I will be posting links to software and or resources available for those of you Nuggets (and Pros), who may be a little strapped for cash, as well as those who, like me when I first started out, are computer idiots. All so that you won't have to run around the net, like a chicken with it's head cut off, trying to find what you may be looking for.

Oh yeah, and anyone else who has a link, feel free to post it, :thumb:. But please, do not post any links to a trial version (or demo) of a particular software application(s), (i.e.) an application which has an expiration period, or anything that will leave watermarks on renderings (very unsightly). Thank you.

(Yet another instance where The Wink and the Gun Smilie would come into play.)
IRML wrote: »
Make sure you are CERTAIN of your links BEFORE you post them...
Post edited by Hundred on

• HundredHundred268 Posts: 1,021Member
    Terragen 2.0 (Please read all advisories, follow all instructions and observe all terms and conditions of the download site.)

Rating: :thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb: 5/5

(Quick update Ya'll, GenesisII has been withdrawn by it's makers, and has been replaced by GenesisIV)
    GenesisIV (Please read all advisories, follow all instructions and observe all terms and conditions of the download site.)

Rating: N/A

NOTE: For those of you who haven't heard of terrain generators. I highly recommend Terragen 2.0. And though I am still quite unfamiliar with GenesisII, I have seen some great images created from it as well.

NOTE: The first image in the attachments is from the Terragen homesite's image gallery, and is not one of my own; however the last four images are mine. I actually made them like two hours after I'd downloaded and installed the program, without reading a tutorial. Yes, Terragen is just that easy to use.
    45725.jpg45726.jpg45727.jpg45728.jpg45729.jpg
    Gimpshop 2.4 (Please read all advisories, follow all instructions and observe all terms and conditions of the download site.)

Rating: :thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb: 5/5 (Just like PhotoShop.)

Picasa2 (Please read all advisories, follow all instructions and observe all terms and conditions of the download site.)

Rating: :thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb: 4/5
    Blender (Please read all advisories, follow all instructions and observe all terms and conditions of the download site.)

K-3D (Please read all advisories, follow all instructions and observe all terms and conditions of the download site.)

Rating: N/A (Comes with it's own animated user's tutorials. And, it's copyrights are partly owned by ILM, that's right, Industrial Light, & Magic. Might wanna check this one out.)

Truespace3 (Please read all advisories, follow all instructions and observe all terms and conditions of the download site.)

4D Blue (Please read all advisories, follow all instructions and observe all terms and conditions of the download site.)

Rating: :thumb::thumb::thumb: 3/5
    Freeware Files (Please read all advisories, follow all instructions and observe all terms and conditions of the download site.)

Turbo Squid (Please read all advisories, follow all instructions and observe all terms and conditions of the download site.)

If you need some nice, trouble-free freeware, then Freeware Files is a great place to get it. No unexpected pop-ups, nothing too buggy, you just have to look through the pile.

For models, props, plug-ins, what have you, Turbo Squid is a great source. They have a large selection of, stuff.
  • kennykenny0 Posts: 0Member
    Should this not be moved to another section ?
    No, Aceman told me here kenny.
  • kennykenny0 Posts: 0Member
    Ok.
    Cinergy (Please read all advisories, follow all instructions and observe all terms and conditions of the download site.)

If you're going to go with free screen-writing software, Cinergy is probably your best option, especially if you're running Windows/Word. I mean I've personally tried some the others, and most of them are just not worth downloading. Now if you're in a pinch, the following program (Celtx) will do nicely.

Celtx (Please read all advisories, follow all instructions and observe all terms and conditions of the download site.)

EDIT: (01/23/08) There's a new and improved version of Celtx out there, Celtx 0.997 I believe, with a new look, a totally new interface, and new features. I haven't used Celtx in a while, but based on what I've seen of this new version, the look, and the improved functionality, I've increase my rating from 4/5 to 5/5, :thumb:.
    Wavosaur 01.0.1.0 (Please read all advisories, follow all instructions and observe all terms and conditions of the download site.)

Again, if your gonna go with freeware, this is probably one of the best free sound mixers/editors out there. It's simple, it's compact, and you don't have to install it use it, (that's right, you read it), you can use this program without even unpacking it. All you need is a cheap Radio-Shack microphone, and you're ready.

EDIT: Wavosaur 01.0.1.0 has a whole new look and interface, and it sure beats the hell out the old one. It's looking good baby, :thumb:.
    Imagetoavi(freevrsn) (Please read all advisories, follow all instructions and observe all terms and conditions of the download site.)

Imagetoavi(payversion) (Please read all advisories, follow all instructions and observe all terms and conditions of the download site.)

Rating: :thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb: 5/5 (both)

Here's some more software, though it's not pretty, it works. Up top are two links, the first for a free version, and the second, for a pay version, however the pay version is really cheap, like around six bucks or so (U.S.).
    DDS Converter 2 (1.0) (Please read all advisories, follow all instructions and observe all terms and conditions of the download site.)

• XRaiderV1.7XRaiderV1.7226 I have absolutely no ideaPosts: 1,074Member
    nice finds, very nice.
  • spudmonkeyspudmonkey0 Posts: 0Member
    A few more free modeling apps for you

Wings 3d

EDIT: Only click the following link if your browser security settings are set to secure. Mine are, so the link was safe for me, but others have clicked and reported a potential attack. FFS, show some bloody sense and disable remote scripting before you surf the web in other words, or at least get a reasonable popup blocker!

EDIT 2: Apparently the sPatch site is fine, but some of the links to artist's work from the page are dodgy. I've changed the link to a direct download to the zip file

SPatch
    SPatch docs
    Well now that you have all the links, to acquire all the software, that you will probably need in order to, "Make an 85min feature film for 200 dollars!", :lol::lol::lol:. Sorry PMiddy, that was too easy. In any case, now that you're set to start crank'in those out eye popping, aesthetically pleasing CG masterpieces, along with those Spielberg quality, block buster, sci-fi features; you're gonna need a place to put all that crap. (I.E.) you're going to need an image host. Because, as we all know by now, SFM's database can only handle so many of our individual images and or posts. (As Indicated by the little red bar at the top of your upload screen, whenever you try to upload an image and or attachment.)

When it comes to image hosting there are a lot of choices out there, but as image hosting service providers go, these two are probably your best bet.

Image Shack (Please read all advisories, follow all instructions and observe all terms and conditions of the site.)

Photo Bucket
    (Please read all advisories, follow all instructions and observe all terms and conditions of the site.)

And, once you've compiled a significant batch of pics, animations, writings and what have you; you're probably going to want to put together an online portfolio. Here are two that I highly recommend. (Even though to this day, I've been too lazy to finish or even update my own, :doh:.)

Freewebs (Please read all advisories, follow all instructions and observe all terms and conditions of the site.)

The123d (Please read all advisories, follow all instructions and observe all terms and conditions of the site.)

spudmonkey wrote: »
    A few more free modeling apps for you

Wings 3d

SPatch

I actually have wings 3d already.

decent app, plenty of potential, if they ever update it, that is.

-edit: whoops, spoke before I looked, it had been so long since they updated it that I pretty much gave it up for dead, lol.-

havent seen that other one, whats its system requirements?
    To spudmonkey: I never saw SPatch before this morning either, what's it like?

EDIT: Wow, just saw some SPatch renders. Not bad. Good one spudmonkey.
  • OzylotOzylot332 Posts: 0Member
    Cant forget about Kerkythea, it is some free rendering software that goes well with wings, in fact, it even plugs-in now.
    We may have to start another thread for testing and rating some of this software, or devise some sort of rating system in this thread. Good one Ozylot.
    my wanna include any system requirements as well, where possible.
    YafRay (Please read all advisories, follow all instructions and observe all terms and conditions of the download site.)

Indigo (Please read all advisories, follow all instructions and observe all terms and conditions of the download site.)

POV-Ray (Please read all advisories, follow all instructions and observe all terms and conditions of the download site.)

Good idea XRaiderV1.7, I didn't think of that.
    Animator-9 3.6 (Please read all advisories, follow all instructions and observe all terms and conditions of the download site.)

AniS 1.0 (Please read all advisories, follow all instructions and observe all terms and conditions of the download site.)

Jumpwel 05.05.005
    (Please read all advisories, follow all instructions and observe all terms and conditions of the download site.)

Cyberdelia 4.6 (Please read all advisories, follow all instructions and observe all terms and conditions of the download site.)

FreeCAD 8.0
    (Please read all advisories, follow all instructions and observe all terms and conditions of the download site.)

Gmax (Please read all advisories, follow all instructions and observe all terms and conditions of the download site.)

Special Effects 3.2 (Please read all advisories, follow all instructions and observe all terms and conditions of the download site.)

TouchArt Sampler 017(Please read all advisories, follow all instructions and observe all terms and conditions of the download site.)

Anim8or (Please read all advisories, follow all instructions and observe all terms and conditions of the download site.)

Rating: :thumb::thumb: 2/5

Serif 3D Plus (Please read all advisories, follow all instructions and observe all terms and conditions of the download site.)

NOTE:
    With Serif 3D Plus, version 2 is free, version 4 however costs about ten dollars (U.S.)
  • ns_exilens_exile171 Posts: 0Member
    Another good freeware audio editor is Audacity:

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/
    Thank you ns_exile, :thumb:!!! I actually have that one, and I've been looking for the site for the past few hours. Another good one, but I think there's also a pay version, if I'm not mistaken, for about five dollars (U.S.).
  • spudmonkeyspudmonkey0 Posts: 0Member
    Hundred wrote: »
    To spudmonkey: I never saw SPatch before this morning either, what's it like?

EDIT: Wow, just saw some SPatch renders. Not bad. Good one spudmonkey.

I must admit that I haven't used it in a long, long time, but I remembered it being a great little tool for mesh creation, though it's probably more of a complementary modeler than one you would use completely on its own. Also, SPatch will run on pretty much anything!
    To spudmonkey: ....cool.

Also, for you Star Trek, Star Wars, and BSG fans, if you haven't heard of it alreay, there's another application out there by the name of 3D Sci-Fi Movie Maker. It's been around for a few years, I think the latest release is version 2.09. In any case it is by no means free, about $50.00 (U.S.) in fact. Where as the oldest version of it, that I know of (2.02), runs for about $45.00 (U.S.). So they're pretty reasonably priced. I'll just go ahead and post the links. But please, do not quote me on the prices.

From what I understand of 3D Sci-Fi Movie Maker, mostly from screen-shots and video tutorials, it's mainly geared towards Star Trek, Star Wars, and BSG-style animation.

EDIT: It's not the best quality CG I've ever seen, but on the other hand it's not too terrible. For a Nugget project or a just beginner, it's ideal, It's simple, it's reasonably priced, and it's easy to use.

3D Sci-Fi Movie Maker (Please read all advisories, follow all instructions and observe all terms and conditions of the download site.)

EDIT: (01/23/08) Now that I've seen a few more animations made by 3D Sci-Fi Movie Maker, I can honestly say that, if there were a way to increase the output resolution, and if you were to run it through a decent movie editor, you could probably get some pretty nice results. It has potential.

Rating: :thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb: 4/5 (Based solely upon animations that I've seen, and not upon personal use.)
  • Mach CritMach Crit0 Posts: 0Member
    I clicked on a link in the sPatch site (one of the main nav links across the top, like news, download, etc, not an ad link)and it went to a page that tried to autoinstall something. My Antivirus went nuts and I closed out the second page that was opened. Be careful looking around that sPatch site.
    Thank you Mach Crit.

Everyone, please follow Mach Crit's advise in the post above, and be extremely careful of the SPatch site.

EDIT: It's an advertisement pop-up for a website called ----, the site seems to be some kind of Xtreme, in your face, kid thing. I didn't see or notice any harmful or offensive content on the site itself, but still, please be careful, :thumb:.

EDIT: Forget my last edit, the afore mentioned site is not for the average viewer.
    3D Canvas 07.1.1.2 (Please read all advisories, follow all instructions and observe all terms and conditions of the download site.)

OpenFX 1.5 (Please read all advisories, follow all instructions and observe all terms and conditions of the download site.)

NVIDIA Gelato 2.1 Beta 6 (Please read all advisories, follow all instructions and observe all terms and conditions of the download site.)